Sign in to follow this  
Reezo

SR5 Tactical IED Detection and Remote Det Script

@Albertos: Yeah no biggie.. And I agree, no need to make another dialog for that.

It's fixed now. Conditions for "too close" and "too far" now happen if you are too close/far AND the IED exists. Simple and effective :)

@Acelondoner:

No problem.

Hmm. Sounds like implementation failure.

I would start from scratch with the implementation of this script, and follow the instructions very carefully. Just put an object down as IED in the editor, and add the correct line. Then make sure to put the right line in the init field of the player unit. That should work. Have you changed anything in the scripts, or are the files not located at the standard path?... If you are not, then try starting Arma2 with the parameter -showScriptErrors. That might give you some usefull info.

@albertors: Great :)

Nevermind. It's all working ok... Its to do with to many scripts running at once as I disabled upsmon and then it started working fine. I defo have to find a way for both to work though as upsmon is great.

@Nielsen

Your line of code for the recruit AI thing didn't seem to work unfortunatly. The engineers didn't pick up anything.

Also, I have tried your code to work with James advanced IED script and it works great. I just hope it works in multiplayer :)

If you have any other ideas for the recruit AI, I'll be happy to try it.

Edited by Guest

@Acelondoner:

I'm not sure what is wrong. The "Reezo_IED_detector_objects = [];" seems fine as long as you remember to initialize the script on the detector the other way. And if the error was in the description you would CTD.

Nevermind. It's all working ok... Its to do with to many scripts running at once as I disabled upsmon and then it started working fine. I defo have to find a way for both to work though as upsmon is great.

@Nielsen

Your line of code for the recruit AI thing didn't seem to work unfortunatly. The engineers didn't pick up anything.

Also, I have tried your code to work with James advanced IED script and it works great. I just hope it works in multiplayer :)

If you have any other ideas for the recruit AI, I'll be happy to try it.

New version 1.4 is out!

New features!

- Manual defuse: Using your tool you must inject some code into the IED electronics to defuse it. Click at the right time, when the sum of the "readings" data is a multiple of 3. If you click at the wrong time, the bomb will arm itself and explode in some seconds, so RUN AWAY!!

- Scary regular beepings to help you find bombs in dense areas (when manual defusing is required)

- Armed bombs start beeping increasingly faster until they explode

3:26AM, you and your love for this script ;) thanks guys! I hope there are not many bugs in this release, I was kinda tired and the dialogs killed me, had to study how to do it directly from BIKI :)

New version 1.4 is out!

New features!

- Manual defuse: Using your tool you must inject some code into the IED electronics to defuse it. Click at the right time, when the sum of the "readings" data is a multiple of 3. If you click at the wrong time, the bomb will arm itself and explode in some seconds, so RUN AWAY!!

- Scary regular beepings to help you find bombs in dense areas (when manual defusing is required)

- Armed bombs start beeping increasingly faster until they explode

3:26AM, you and your love for this script ;) thanks guys! I hope there are not many bugs in this release, I was kinda tired and the dialogs killed me, had to study how to do it directly from BIKI :)

Nice! Will Nielsons previous code for combining with James IED script still work with this version? Loving the manual defuse option:)

Nice! Will Nielsons previous code for combining with James IED script still work with this version? Loving the manual defuse option

My guess is it should work. I haven't change the main structure, only wrote a complete new branch of "event" possibility..so I am 99% positive on this.

But eheh who knowz! :)

I've just tried a demo roadblock mission with a Taki civilian driving his Lada IED eheh, some funny things can happen! Like trying to manually defuse a car, clicking it wrong and while you get the beep you get on board and drive it away from the civilian market eheh to avoid casualties :) all you hear is the engine roaring and that beeepb bepbebeeep going faster and faster XD

haha, when getting a manual diffusion and clicking the IED, I get:

Resource IEDdetect_injector not found

I looked at the files and I think you named the file wrong. The only file I have close to that is: IEDdetect_injection

IEDdetect_injector

IEDdetect_injection

Got these muddled up I think;)

Edited by Guest

@albertors:

That is awesome man. I really like the feel of the disarm function! Two thumbs up. Cant wait to see how this script turns out.

A bit more constructive feedback:

1. I think the defuse option should be added to the object regardless of the option of remote detonation. Would be cool if you could allways disarm manually. Actually I think there is really no need for a "Manual Disarm required" dialog unless it is to let the player know, that all attempts to remote detonate are futile. The action to disarm should imo be added to the given object as soon as possible in the script. Not sure how it works now, as I havent looked into the script a lot, but maybe within a given timeframe you would have a random chance of remote detonation with each scan. When the time is up you get the "manual disarm required" image.

2. When the object is dead the scanner still picks it up as an IED. When you try to disarm, you get no number inputs. You can on the other hand still remote detonate it. One way I think would be cool to go about it, is to have the script continously check the object damage, and if the object dies, then have it delete itself like with the remote detonation. Maybe with explosion too, but that might boost the IED effect when a triggerman sets it off. I realize that would prolly add some nasty loops, but it would be real nice to also be able to shell the IED from a distance, if it is in a safe location to do so. I realize that it is not as flashy as disarming it, but it would add alot to an IED script imho.

3. About the "fake IED's".: When my scanner register an anomaly/fake IED I dont allways get the "location aproximation" marker.

4. I know the accuracy depends on the speed. Is it intentional that I get no returns when standing still?

5. I like the beeping sound :D, but I think it should be optional.

6. As it is quite early I might have slow response time, but I think the disarm is a bit hard and random. I only succeeded in disarming it once. I think the numbers should be spit out with an interval of maybe 0.25-0.35 sec. That way I think people can make it most of the time but they have to stay on their toes. Then throw in a random chance that it will dip to 0.2 or something to spice it up, and make it harder at times. As engineer you have to feel confident that you can disarm it, but it has to involve concentration and there has to be a risk for it to be fun.

7. I like how it gives you just enough time to get away when you fail. If it doesnt, I think that the "unstable time" should vary slightly. But having run from it in the desert af few times, the timing seems quite nice. I really had to run for my life :)

Edited by Nielsen

Great script!

It works fine in SP but I saved the 1.4 version as MP and it doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone confirm it is MP compatable?

thanks

GH

Thanks guys, I'll make sure the feedback is used at its best! :)

v1.5 will be focused on being completely bug-free and MP compatible..there are many cases I have to test and cover (as much as possible)..

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

1. I think the defuse option should be added to the object regardless of the option of remote detonation. Would be cool if you could allways disarm manually. Actually I think there is really no need for a "Manual Disarm required" dialog unless it is to let the player know, that all attempts to remote detonate are futile. The action to disarm should imo be added to the given object as soon as possible in the script. Not sure how it works now, as I havent looked into the script a lot, but maybe within a given timeframe you would have a random chance of remote detonation with each scan. When the time is up you get the "manual disarm required" image.

I agree. It would also make the script cleaner and lighter.

2. When the object is dead the scanner still picks it up as an IED. When you try to disarm, you get no number inputs. You can on the other hand still remote detonate it. One way I think would be cool to go about it, is to have the script continously check the object damage, and if the object dies, then have it delete itself like with the remote detonation. Maybe with explosion too, but that might boost the IED effect when a triggerman sets it off. I realize that would prolly add some nasty loops, but it would be real nice to also be able to shell the IED from a distance, if it is in a safe location to do so. I realize that it is not as flashy as disarming it, but it would add alot to an IED script imho.

I am aware of that. This problem came up with the latest additions. Adding what you proposed at point 1 (above) should make it easier to enable this point.

3. About the "fake IED's".: When my scanner register an anomaly/fake IED I dont allways get the "location aproximation" marker.

I am aware of that, as well. This used to work, I think I know what I did (commented some things that should have not been commented :))

4. I know the accuracy depends on the speed. Is it intentional that I get no returns when standing still?

Yes, at the moment when you stand completely still the script will pause.

5. I like the beeping sound , but I think it should be optional.

I was thinking to make it a 50/50 chance of beeping or not-beeping, or something like that.

6. As it is quite early I might have slow response time, but I think the disarm is a bit hard and random. I only succeeded in disarming it once. I think the numbers should be spit out with an interval of maybe 0.25-0.35 sec. That way I think people can make it most of the time but they have to stay on their toes. Then throw in a random chance that it will dip to 0.2 or something to spice it up, and make it harder at times. As engineer you have to feel confident that you can disarm it, but it has to involve concentration and there has to be a risk for it to be fun.

Personally, I kinda like it this way. Tastes are tastes, but if you manage to quickly sum the three numbers and get a number that is a multiple of 3 you know clicking will disarm it. BUT, the numbers change at random speed so you better be quick or you could click right AFTER then number has changed. It could change to your luck (still being a multiple of 3) or not. For the moment I've seen that it creates a nice "time-lapse" atmosphere, like the EOD approaches the IED and waits for a number that is easy to consider a multiple of 3 (like 27, or 9, for example). This creates an aura of silence and suspence among his teammates..and for the moment I am loving this :)

7. I like how it gives you just enough time to get away when you fail. If it doesnt, I think that the "unstable time" should vary slightly. But having run from it in the desert af few times, the timing seems quite nice. I really had to run for my life

The "time-before-detonation" chanages, slightly. So you can get a minimum time that is still ok to run away but makes it very hard up to a time where it is kinda comfortable (but not THAT comfortable). I did not want to make the bomb go off immediately because that would definitely scare people to avoid IEDs at all costs just by the mere principle. If you discover and IED being close to civilians or vehicles and such and you cannot relocate them all quickly (e.g. when enemy presence is still unconfirmed in the area) I can picture this script creating just the right atmosphere of tactical instability that we love in A2 "live" situations :D

It works fine in SP but I saved the 1.4 version as MP and it doesn't seem to work.

Can anyone confirm it is MP compatable?

It used to be and still is but I cannot state this with absolute certainty. Rest assured v1.5 will not implement anything new and will focus on stability and compatibility in MP environments.

Is the manual diffuse working for people? I get this Resource IEDdetect_injector not found when I choose manual diffuse...

The IED wil then just keep beeping and I cannot do anything with it. I have no idea whats wrong as I have all the files so why would it say its missing IEDdetect_injector?

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Ok, the above happens in single player when used with James IED script. When in multiplayer, you don't even get the defuse action show up and the IED just explodes. I guess it's not compatible with James IED script anymore :(

In 1.5 please allow it to work James script as the two combined are brilliant.

EDIT: Also, if it's possible could you make work better with upsmon? When upsmon is enabled with alot of units, this IED script takes to long to scan (like over a minute).

Edited by Guest

Nope ... getting same problems myself about injector.

What was the reason for not making the script work when stationary ? Too big an over head? Surely you would WANT to be standing still to check for IEDs ? Would it not be better to have it as an addaction that could ONLY happen when standing still ?

PS don't worry too much about a lighter weighing script :) We can handle it :)

What line do I comment out to stop debug messages from showing up?

It is !isMultiplayer part where it GLOBALCHATs the init, add etc

Works for me :)

What line do I comment out to stop debug messages from showing up?

will fix this adding a globalVariable so you can enable or disable debug globally :)

One more thing albertors. I know the script doesn't fire when the player is stopped but not knowing when the next cycle comes around again is a problem. Even at a 10 second interval it is very hit and miss (even worse if you lower the detection rate :) )

Any chance of a countdown (or something like that) that means you cant scan again before that time ?

PS having a publicVariable is great for the IED objects :) Works great for JIP.

I've been working hard on v1.5 and so far I've made a lot of improvements.

First, I removed the bomb beeping and remote detonation. Since manual defusing was introduced, remote detonation can be done the hard way, meaning you place whatever charge you want next to the IED, then blow it up from a safe distance. It will make it more realistic and fun, I believe.

The script now checks for both an effective defusal AND the esistence of the IED, this means both causes will lead to the same effect.

In fact, after an IED is detected a lot of things could happen that change the destiny of the script:

1) The player able to detect could die: the script quits

2) The IED could blow up or get destroyed: the script takes the IED away from the global array of detectable IEDs, then restarts the main scan loop, allowing the player to detect as usual

3) The IED could get defused succesfully: the script takes the IED away from the global away just like case 2, then restarts the main loop.

4) The player could die WHILE defusing the bomb: the scripts take the IED and puts it back into the global array of detectable IEDs, so that other units can (if suited properly) scan, detect and defuse the bomb.

Since the main loop checks for the object scanned being in the global array, each successful defusal OR destruction of the IED wil lead to a smaller, updated, globally-synced array of detectable IEDs. This should work nicely in MP where it could end up with people scanning duplicate stuff or not-detecting actual IEDs.

It was really easy to script situations where an IED gets destroyed, because with item being NOT present there was an automatic "removal" of the IED from future scans..but the tricky part was how to get something like a car-bomb defused..I just couldn't make it disappear, not realistic.

About the scan interval, I could make it so that the scan process becomes an ACTION in the scroll-wheel..so you can fire the script whenever you want.

In v1.5 I also added:

- a global debug variable, default: false (no more debug messages if you don't want them)

- a lot of code optimizations

- scan is now operational REGARDLESS of player speed

- scanner script only starts when the global array of detectable IEDs is not empty..very useful if you want to add/remove IEDs during a mission, with scripts.

Now, one thing noone thought about (not even me) is that you can make actions to "RIG" something to make an IED. Any object works, you just need to add an action to a specific item launching the IEDdetect_add.sqf script.

This could lead to interesting things, like a script to rig ANYTHING (the object your are aiming, for example) into becoming an IED..provided you have, say, satchel charges or rocket ammunitions of any kind (RPG rockets, for example).

Once rigged, the item will be detectable by scanners and you can blow it up from a distance..

We shouldn't think BLUFOR only ;)

Thanks for the update.

Some more thoughts for you.

I was thinking to make it a 50/50 chance of beeping or not-beeping, or something like that.

I would rather that it was optional. For mission building purposes, it could have rather significant impact, so I think it should be controlable for the mission maker.

Personally, I kinda like it this way. Tastes are tastes, but if you manage to quickly sum the three numbers and get a number that is a multiple of 3 you know clicking will disarm it.

I must have missed something. I thought that all you had to do was push the button when the number was even?

I removed the bomb beeping and remote detonation.

I must say I kinda liked the remote detonation. Even with the option to disarm or set a charge, I would much rather not go near it if avoidable. The remote detonation is extra interesting when using this script with another (like James'), cause it aint safe to get near the IED. Also, the remote det explosion was way cool :D. Just saying.

The IED could blow up or get destroyed: the script takes the IED away from the global array of detectable IEDs, then restarts the main scan loop, allowing the player to detect as usual

Does it still delete the IED object? I really like that this script deletes the object. That is a great way to make it work with other sripts. Especially James' cause when the object is removed the triggerman cannot detonate. But if the script does not delete the object, then we would still get blown up when going near it.

About the scan interval, I could make it so that the scan process becomes an ACTION in the scroll-wheel..so you can fire the script whenever you want.

I kinda dislike this option. I really think that the addactions are messy, especially if it is something that stays on. The remote detonation option, and the defuse option are okay, as they only appear when needed. But having another constant action would imo be messy. I would much rather that you could bring up the scanner, and have a "scan" button on it! That way no problem with the intervals, and the script would be less ressource heavy. Also, that would make the player more engaged in the IED hunt, than just driving around waiting for the scanner to go "beep". I kinda like the idea that it is a more active than passive thing. I realize that makes for some more complex dialog stuff, but it would be much more immersive imo.

Now, one thing noone thought about (not even me) is that you can make actions to "RIG" something to make an IED.

That is an awesome idea that has some real cool potential. However it allmost sounds like a script in itself. I think that these features should at least be hold seperate. I really like the IED construction idea, and I would surely go setup some roadside bombs with this, but the two shouldnt both be active imo. I dont want my opfor IED creater running around with a high tech scanner. Similarly I dont want my bluefor engineer to go Mcgyver and start jerryrigging satchels.

Looking forward to v1.5 :)

It was really easy to script situations where an IED gets destroyed, because with item being NOT present there was an automatic "removal" of the IED from future scans..but the tricky part was how to get something like a car-bomb defused..I just couldn't make it disappear, not realistic.

I once used an actual explosive attached to a car.

That way it keeps it real if it needs to be deleted.

Looking forward using this script. I've already got a mission idea cooking up.

Nice work.

Now, one thing noone thought about (not even me) is that you can make actions to "RIG" something to make an IED. Any object works, you just need to add an action to a specific item launching the IEDdetect_add.sqf script.

Within VTS there is a 'VTS isIED' function where you can do just that :) I have attached into cars, men, and it IS possible to even put it onto players (can you say suicide bomber :) )

Thanks VERY much for all these improvements albertors. This is REALLY shaping up to being an 'arma-defining' script !

Kremator

PS at the weekend will test on my dedi. I can only use local MP currently.

Thanks everyone for the great words about this script! I need this motivation to keep exploding myself while testing the optimized code for v1.5 :) I am writing from my cell. so I am going to be brief.. But I wanted to write this anyway! More news soon!

First let me say great script. I haven't yet had a chance to try it but this out but its something the game should have shipped with in my opinion.

Based on the update, according to another poster this is no longer compatible with James advanced IED? Is there a way to fix that?

Also, is there any chance remote det will make a reappearance?