Sign in to follow this  
sumerion

AI Chopper pilots likes to jerk their sticks...?

Hello all

I hope this is the right place for this:

After updating to 1.08A2 1.55OA my AI choopers is flying weird, looks like their following every contour of the ground, really enoying when the flight isn´t smooth just "wobbly". I have no addons and after my PMC buy I updated to 1.56OA and some update for BAF. The AI pilots still likes to fly like morons, and pulling the stick up and down all the flight.

My english is not the best and I can´t explain this better than that, hope someone can understand this and maybe have an answer.

//Sumerion

Maybe they jerk their sticks because there's so few AI women?

*awaits infraction but hopes Relikki at least lols first*

/Signed

Yah, this annoys the hell out of me as well.

It is immersion breaking and looks ridiculous.

Yeah I've noticed this lately, playing as gunner with an AI pilot makes it maddening to try and target enemies while moving.

And on top of that AI likes to screw up landings and crash the chopper....

this is really frustrating! you cant aim as gunner, also it looks very ugly

ok so it´s a known problem, then there would be a fix, hopefully soon. But hey, what the f***, AI´s probably have their needs to... would apriciate if they take care of business before takeoff though.

//S

I think this is mostly resolved? - The Helo will still rock at very low altitude

less than 20m over hills

less than 10m flat ground

when at Normal or Full speed due to the terrain avoidance programming. The rotors are nearly hitting the ground at the angle of attack for those speeds.

If you need the AI to fly very low remember to:

_groupOne setSpeedMode "LIMITED"

They will fly normally at 2m along a runway with this setting. Works for me?

The Helos will fly at full speed with no rocking at 35m on Takistan and miss trees but not some buildings.

So after your low slow flight change (the sleep is needed so it gains altitude before accelerating):

_myHeli flyInHeight 35;
sleep 3;
_groupOne setSpeedMode "NORMAL";

or for descending:

_groupOne setSpeedMode "LIMITED";
_myHeli flyInHeight 10;

Or do it manually in the WP dialogs.

I have found that for climbing - increasing altitude on one WP then Speed the next makes the acceleration smoother, no rocking and the flight looks more realistic.

The reverse is need for descending to low level (under 35m) set speed to limited then on the next WP set altitude.

Edit: This may be fixed completely in the latest beta patch? See posts below.

Edited by PELHAM

Arma 2 AI helicopter pilots are the worst ... how do these guys get their licenses? Today I had a pilot skewer a telephone pole between the body and skid of a UH-1 landing for an exfiltration. The chopper landed (on a road) and I could get in, but it was stuck and couldn't take off. Comedy ensued as 2 enemies chasing ran straight into the side of the chopper and got stuck running madly against the side of the chopper, the door gunner firing wildly. Needless to say, SHIFT-NUM-endmission.

Edited by MissionCreep

try the newest beta patch - significantly improved this for me.

try the newest beta patch - significantly improved this for me.

its removed in it completelly. This same bug was in ArmA1 when release came, but got quickly squashed by BI Bug-hunting highly trained Task-force ;)