Sign in to follow this  
mr.g-c

Interesting tank in Afghanistan (M113 chassis + T72 turret???)

Hey guys,

yesterday i saw a news-clip (or was it part of a documentary?) regarding german troops in Afghanistan.

Well there was one scene where they were driving on a long desert-road and on the left side in the trenches, was a very interesting tank:

Sand/Tan colored overall, M113-like Chassis with a very flat, round and T72-like Turret.

Looked very artificial, can't imagine any designer to build such a tank in reality.

Unfortunately no pictures available.

Anyone knows the tank i'm describing?

Try a google picture search for "M113 FSV", there are some pics that could match what you saw.

Myke;1796431']Try a google picture search for "M113 FSV"' date=' there are some pics that could match what you saw.[/quote']

No its not what i saw...

It was really just M113-alike chassis... rather a bit more flat than M113.

But the Turret was Really round without any edges like from a T72/T60, etc...

It looked like if someone just took a popped-off T72 turret and hung it into that small M113-alike Chassis. :p

maybe it was Turkish M113 ? if you are sure it was M113

Argentina has for example mini tank with Leo 1 turret, but hull is from Marder

but if it was M113, than Turkey made some modifications with various turrets (i even seen BMP-like turrret ) just like they have mix of HK G3 or G33 and M4

Edited by vilas

but if it was M113, than Turkey made some modifications with various turrets (i even seen BMP-like turrret ) just like they have mix of HK G3 or G33 and M4

The Canadian Lynx IFV-2 has a BMP3 turret. There is also the Turkish ACV-S (based on the ACV-300). As neither Canada nor Turkey operate in the same area as German troops, I don't know how any such vehicle would end up in Afghanistan though unless it was a part of ISAF. ANA and ANP use mostly Soviet era vehicles and US Humvees.

yesterday i saw a news-clip (or was it part of a documentary?) regarding german troops in Afghanistan.

what channel was the program on? Can you remember the shows name at all?

If we are talking german, maybe the Puma IFV:

Although vilas' Turkish M113 does kinda fit the bill...

m113gavinwithbmp3turret2.jpg

Edited by STALKERGB

maybe technical / engineering / lift /repair / whatever vehicle, not combat

The Canadian Lynx IFV-2 has a BMP3 turret.

I've not heard of this. Are you sure you don't mean the Patria? If it's true I'm interested.

I've not heard of this. Are you sure you don't mean the Patria? If it's true I'm interested.

Copy paste went wrong, I meant to say "ACV-SW". It's the vehicle in the picture of STALKERGB's post.

The ACV-S has also been fitted with the turret of a BMP-3 infantry combat vehicle, produced by Instrument Design Bureau (KBP) of Tula, Russia. The system is called ACV-SW. The BMP-3 turret is armed with a 100mm 2A70 semi-automatic rifled gun/missile launcher, which can fire either HE-FRAG (High Explosive-Fragmentation) rounds or the 9M117 laser beamriding anti-tank missile.

[Link]

Copy paste went wrong, I meant to say "ACV-SW". It's the vehicle in the picture of STALKERGB's post.

[Link]

Ah.. Not from Canada, then. I was wondering when Canada started brokering arms deals with Russia. I got all excited for a second.