Idea for DLC. What do you think?

Would you buy a DLC of new tools?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a DLC of new tools?

• Yes, definetly
    • Yes, but i prefer a new DLC playable content
    • No, i don´t use the tools
    • No, it´s a waste of money

Hi, from the released of ArmA 2, the addon makers, map makers, modders, etc are waiting for the MLOD models of this game. Also we (or me at least) were waiting for new tools instead of the old ArmA 1 - OFP tools ... for that reason i think that will be a great idea, if BI release a DLC of new tools (like the tools that they uses) instead of "new" factions or something like that .... if they release this kind of DLC surely most of the community will buy this.

What do you think?

I don't think they can sell their tools for a cheap price. They are probably licensed and cost several thousand dollars.

Or maybe I'm wrong, but I'm leaning more towards I'm right.

BI uses 3rd party software to develop content (read max/maya). Those are commercial products available to anyone for a price (which is rather steep)

Besides that, everything else goes the through the same pipeline used by any other modder out there (BI Tools 2).

BI using a more sophisticated version of what is available for free in their tool pack is just a myth. hence this thread holds no purpose.

pufu ... you REALLY think that BI uses the awfull Visitor 3 to make their maps??

c´mon .... one of the biggest mapmakers stopped mapping when he learned of this situation (which BI has different tools to make the job much faster and easier)

Of course they have better tools, but we don't pay for the tools they've released to us.

pufu ... you REALLY think that BI uses the awfull Visitor 3 to make their maps??

Why not? As far as I know, all community maps were made with those tools, and it took them more than one year to develop Chernarus/Sahrani/Takistan/ect...

c´mon .... one of the biggest mapmakers stopped mapping when he learned of this situation (which BI has different tools to make the job much faster and easier)

Well the fact is that the mapmaker (IceBreaker) is still developing at least one map (Lingor), and after his statement he released one or two. Second, that tool you mention is probably part of VBS 2, which is -as far as I know- not mainly for terrain editing, but one can place objects on the map (road, trees were I saw, maybe others) considerably faster. Plus that is made by BI Australia, which is not the same company, they running their own agenda. Also, yet, we don't know too much about the usability and reliability of the tool and the products of it. Maybe the roads put on the map with that editor aren't usable for the AI? Maybe the tool itself is a bit half-cooked in its current form?

And besides that, BI (if a bit later, but better later than never, right) brought VBS features to Arma 2 (TI, IR lasers, ect...) maybe in time, with a next DVD expansion, might release it for the community in some form

Stuff always been free since OFP, buy the game and then you get access to free downloadable content and tools,

why change a good thing.

If BIS were going to sell the tools to us so the modders can make addons, where then I'm sure the modders

would then need to charge for their addons and mods maybe, then you have a whole new markets system,

alot of Bs if you ask me, leave it the way it is, BIS dont have issues with it, and either do the modders,

if it aint broke dont fix it.

i do admit i know nothing about visitor (i guess we are talking about the vis available in vbs sdk). but i do know the situation for o2 and the other tools, and belive me, it is no difference there