Sign in to follow this  
mr pedersen

Magic Teleporter Disable plz, realism!?

Hello!

Is there ANY Public multiplayer servers that run COOP 30 DomiOA without the Magic Harry potter flagpole Teleporter?

The Magic Teleporter removes the feeling of this game.

Where is the Realism in THAT!?

Why use Transport Helicopter when you can just use the Flagpole teleporter?

Why even try to work as a squad/team when you just respawn at base or MHQ and jump back where you just got killed and that as Superman Soldier with 50 Cal Sniper Rifel, Javelin-AT, Handgrenades + full ammo for all your weapons.

Me personal enjoy the team work of a good pilot tha fly the team to LZ insted of Teleport.

Other player might love the other " Arcade feeling " of the game where you can use the teleporter, and I wish them a good game and great fun with the teleporting.

But me... and maby other players that dont LIKE it, is there a server where the teleporter is turned OFF!?

:j:

I'm sure CarlGustaffa could modify Domination for that easily - he's very much into the realism aspect. Contact him and perhaps he already has that change and knows who is running it.

There is an option to remove the "Magic Harry potter flagpole Teleporter" in the mission startup parameters.

There is an option to remove the "Magic Harry potter flagpole Teleporter" in the mission startup parameters.

Well if so, why have no server done that?

Or is it me that just cant find those servers?

I guess it is you. Most good coop games are kept private or locked for obvious reasons. That includes any mission, including domination

The servers you are talking about are not really admined, one mission is stuck on default startup values (and domination is the favorite since it last long enough). Nothing you or me can do about how others are running their servers

At the risk of pointing out the obvious... a player isn't required to use the teleporter. If you want to walk all the way, you can. :)

The Magic Teleporter removes the feeling of this game.

Where is the Realism in THAT!?

:j:

Holy virgin, finally somebody got the message.

Teleport flagpoles totally destroyed Evolution (all transport vehicles are rotting away at the base) and Domination in their original form. They have been great concepts once but nowadays are just a shadow of what they used to be.

I really hope the GITS Evo Vietnam doesnt suffer the same destiny. There is still hope. Vietnam without Huey transports isnt Vietnam imo.

Edited by ])rStrangelove

The same claim could be made of spawning in mid-air as part of a HALO, joining in progress, or even respawning itself.

Pufo and TRexian both hinted at a major point. How the server is run has a far larger impact on the "realism" of the game than some of the mission features/rules do. I've seen more than a couple public sites that bragged about realism and turned out to be miserable places due to poor administration.

Players spamming voice with cute sound effects, off-topic conversations, huge amounts of fraticide due to careless use of artillery and airpower, and then you're told to get in a chopper piloted by some kid that has already plowed into the treeline 3x in the last 15 minutes because the always-absent admins think that's "realistic"?

On the other hand, playing on a well-managed server running the "arcade" version where the administrators tolerated no bad behavior led to better teamwork and a far more true-to-life experience despite artificial items like the magic pole. People communicating effectively, coordinating activitity AND using the available resources like transport choppers will happen if the people running the mission cultivate that mindset.

Edited by Evil_Echo

As the others have already said is more about your choice of server. You just need to find a good "realism" server with mature and sensible admins.

Its been my own experience that if you want a decent game you need to join a group/team/clan etc. Public servers tend to be admin'd and populated by kiddies and BF2 Clone lovers.

... like the magic pole.

Ah, you know my nickname.... :D

Edit:

Oh, so this post will actually contribute... :) DMarkwick and I (a long time ago, it seems) got on a random Domination server and did some semi-realistic teamwork stuff, just the 2 of us. We were joined at one point by another guy, who at first seemed like he wanted to go 'lone wolf' a bit, after we kinda communicated the intel we had on the mission (and warned him of a patrol heading his way), the three of us worked together rather well.

I don't do much MP at all, but I mention that story to illustrate that people can be gently induced to working together when they know that the others involved are interested in the same thing - regardless of the server settings.

Edited by TRexian

Pedersen

I believe the WBG (world brotherhood of Gamers) run a custom version of domination with the teleport and HALO drops removed. The associated Teamspeak channel is also very active, and all in all WBG are a great bunch of lads.

Also have conferred with my girlfriend and she has confirmed the existence of the 'magic flagpole'; I just don't show it to the public (much) .

-k

Ah, you know my nickname.... :D

You'd be suprised by the things I know - terrible things... :evil:

Edit:

Oh, so this post will actually contribute... :) DMarkwick and I (a long time ago, it seems) got on a random Domination server and did some semi-realistic teamwork stuff, just the 2 of us. We were joined at one point by another guy, who at first seemed like he wanted to go 'lone wolf' a bit, after we kinda communicated the intel we had on the mission (and warned him of a patrol heading his way), the three of us worked together rather well.

I don't do much MP at all, but I mention that story to illustrate that people can be gently induced to working together when they know that the others involved are interested in the same thing - regardless of the server settings.

That story is a good example of how to modify behavior in a positive way.

I always get a kick out of the term "lone wolf". Wolves are social animals and hunt in packs. A loner is a misfit, destined to die soon.

My own team is small and frankly a bit aloof. Not anti-social, however we prefer to work with people we trust - our wolf pack. Outsiders can link up with us, they just have to play by our rules ( cooperate, communicate, maneuver ). Based on what he related, TRexian and DMarkwick have the right mindset to work well with us.

Once you have a good team running with you, matters like magic items just don't affect the game as much.

@Mr Pedersen:

Search for BiB server (bib.moo.no). It typically holds a Domino mission. It's based on Domination code, but much of that convenience stuff is removed:

* Teleporting is gone (but you can respawn at the only MHQ, now labelled MRV - mobile respawn vehicle, the other one being a MTV - mobile terminal vehicle but you can't respawn here, only operate satelite link and UAV for the UAV operator).

* There is no magic jumpflags that instantly takes you to the next target.

* Everyone has combat jumps from the base C130, but it won't take you too close to the target.

* Only the 3 man CSW/SF team gets HALO insertions, but you'll quickly find out it's also not something that makes things too convenient.

* Restricted weapons.

* Really immersive AI artillery system. Ai will attempt to suppress you (maybe a tad overdone atm :p) to convince you to stay put.

* One external artillery system (RESCUE1) and one external mortar system (spotter on Delta Team), both with their own limitations and quirks (range and ROE limits), with verbal communications with the FDC.

* No map click artillery, you have to type in the coordinates.

So if you're as fed up with how public Domination is played, this mission might be the thing for you. It's not officially released yet, but I would like to get other peoples opinions about it. I'm quite restrictive in terms of "This is the mission, this is what you get, go solve it under these premises". As combat engineer grunt, I never saw a map, gps, or even a scope during my service. It was not up to me to choose what I got, and I designed the "rules" with that in mind. I think pretty much everyone has their own benefits and drawbacks.

Also ammo is quite limited, and is much based on buddy teaming. Don't expect to get endless AT ammo as AT guy, but you can choose to team up with an AT ammo bearer, who does get a lot more. Makes you think a but more on who you choose to play. Equipment, lost or misplaced (and sadly also if due to bugs), will not respawn. Throw away your Carl Gustav, and it's lost forever (or until you rejoin).

It's also a lot more infantry based. Sure you'll get some Bradleys and UH-60s for solving main targets (only HMMWVs and artillery shells (mortar is infinite) for side missions given their easiness), but it's mostly based on light vehicle operations. Targets are "sorted", means you don't have to travel across the map for each target, but it's better suited for vehicle operations. And for kicks, a pretty decent weather and post processing system. Let's just say that winds can really become an issue here ;) A good spotter (the only one who gets a TWS) may be key to success.

We have played games with no magic pole on the 5th Rifles domination server but usually it's squad only for those evenings because the randoms who join start complaining about the feature not being there. We've already permanently done away with the AI artillery in favour of FOBs with mortars.

You need a high level of cooperation and communication to make it work without the "help" and that just isn't present in a standard public game.