Sign in to follow this  
Whitebishop

Firing unguided rockets from choppers

I have opened this thread because i did not manage to find any specific topic on the issue. The question is how do you deploy your unguided rockets to get best results?

Do you opt for manual or auto fire? What is the recommended height and speed for rocket attacks? I guess that the rockets' cross-hair is the small circle in the HUD. How accurate is this and how useful can it be if the HUD is on the helmet as with the Apache?

Manual fire is a definate, AI gunner is good with the machine gun/cannon but for rockets missiles switch to manual fire.

Try coming in low and fast but before u do that find ur target on the map and shift + left click on it so it puts a marker on it for you and then just fly in low and fast and line up the marker with the circle on the HUD and fire a big burst of rockets.

Only real hint I can offer is learn not to be a spastic when utilising FFARs. One pair of rockets will often do the job but I always see players spamming them in rocket runs using half their ammo to kill like 2 dudes.

Depending on the situation... Manual fire.... I like to come in high and dive (Not advisable in areas with high AA) pop some flares on the drop and scoot off, I find this gives you maximum time to lineup and gives you a quick exit. Its a bit risky but if you need to do a big run and hit several targets I feel its the best way. Not really advisable with littlebirds, Hueys or other lightly armoured choppers

If flying low I just kinda jinx the crosshair over and fire.... I only use a couple of rockets generally 2 or 4 should nearly always be enough.... But a

I use manual fire.

When playing co-op it becomes tedious.

I wish dumbfires were under the pilots control by default or that weapon systems like the Apache would model the moveable aim so that the gunner had full control of them.

For maximum fun I like to target a road in a town and rip off the whole lot in one long strafe. Shock and awe!

Ideally I don't want to take any time aiming at all, but just rip them all off in a bisecting path.

Edited by Baff1

I use manual fire a lot of the time too. You can still usethe guns on helicopters like the ah-64/ah-1 wtc as the ai will still aim the gun for you if you use next target key while you get to pull the trigger however you want (which can be more effective than the ai's short bursts_

i agree, i too would like to see the rockets under pilot control in the attack choppers, missiles and the gun turret should still be the gunners job though.

AH-6 is easier that way ;)

I too, find that letting a burst out usualy does the trick ( 4-6 rockets )

ohh, and to the op : rockets are per definition unguided.

if they are guided, they are missiles :)

ohh, and to the op : rockets are per definition unguided.

if they are guided, they are missiles :)

I regret to inform you..... You can get laser guided rockets. Thats what I used to think too tbh

On that last point, I think people may be talking about the "Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System"

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Precision_Kill_Weapon_System), which involves putting a small guidance and control system on the end of a Hydra 70 rocket body.

One thing I would add to aiming the rockets is that when you are firing at fixed or slow-moving objects in forward flight in a helicopter and aiming downward from the flight path (this is most noticeable if you are in the AH-64D and on the IHADSS the velocity vector is above the waterline mark or aimpoint when you have the collective near maximum), you will have to aim a bit short of the target to have the rockets land where you want them to hit. This is the converse of leading a moving target when you're stationary; if you're moving and the target is stationary, you have to lag the target.

I think they have laser range finder fused rockets... but I think once something has rocket propulsion and is guided, it's a missile.

edit: Wow! I was looking at wikipedia and they have articles for several guided weapons that are intended to be compatible with the 2.75 inch hydra 70 rocket system.

Edited by Max Power

they can be compatible with a rocket system, and stil be misiles ;)

but, i think we should move that discussion to the oftopic part of the forums.

I think the main problem with rockets in this game is that

A.They are fixed solid on every weapons platform and in real life on the apache and Ka-52 they have a semi moveable mounting.

B.The target reticle... well it works fine tbh but its not very authentic the sights more of a problem with dumb bombs .... but I'm drifting....

(I Originaly read about the guided rockets in my sukhoi book. I'm not too sure if they are guided all the way though it may be just an initial launch thing)

to answer @ Whitebishop...

with vanilla ARMA or OA you will get the best results with manual fire.

When using some mods instead, custom configuration of helicopter give you direct control of the FFAR launcher.

ACE2 is a perfect example.

some mods instead, custom configuration of helicopter give you direct control of the FFAR launcher.

ACE2 is a perfect example.

Although I do not understand anything from what you just said :D I will try the ACE2 mode with a chopper immediately and hopefully I will understand :yay:

The ACE2 mod gives control of your rockets to the pilot, and leaves the rest of the weapons to the gunner.