Sign in to follow this  
JuggernautOfWar

AI Still Stubborn

well, when you say they are still in danger mode i know you mean the danger icon is still there, BUT, do they now respond to your commands anyway (in other words they may actually be out of danger mode even though the visual icon and audible "all clear!" cues arent there)?

Difficult to say really, getting a reliable test scenario is a little hit & miss :)

Try this addon yourselves & see if you notice any difference.

well, when you say they are still in danger mode i know you mean the danger icon is still there, BUT, do they now respond to your commands anyway (in other words they may actually be out of danger mode even though the visual icon and audible "all clear!" cues arent there)?

Here's how it pans out for me. Let's say your squad has been involved in a firefight, neutralised the enemy, and now one or more of the units are prone. You try ordering them to stand up but they don't. You try ordering them to regroup but they don't. You try setting safe or aware combat mode but they still don't budge. The rest of your squad are OK, these prone units are driving you mad. You get frustrated and shoot the offending unit. You then heal him, and he comes to his senses and can be ordered around again.

Alternatively give them the "Clear command" from my script or from DMarkwick's better implementation. They may not immediately get up from prone, but if you issue them a regroup or some other order, they should now follow it. Of course, if you're still in the middle of an intense firefight, they might go straight back into danger mode and start shooting.

This is how it works for me, hopefully you get something similar.

I suggest the name of the "Safe" command be changed.

The new name is "All Clear and Stand up" and they stand up.

-

I think I'd like to chime in on this. Sometimes you need the AI to just do what its told NOW. Its a timing problem & its an immersion problem both in scripting & ingame.

Easy example is the civilian units AI overrides when driving & there is gun fire. Civ units will get out of their vehicle, lie on the ground & do the safety dance. Maybe in some circumstances thats natural behaviour for civilians but what if your designing a mission where its absolutely critical they don't bail out of their vehicle? - although we do have unit capture now, which is awesome, I still want more control over AI behaviour.

Example two is withdrawing your team while under fire, I'm no soldier but I do believe that withdrawal is a valid tactic that real soldiers do utilise. Things are better in the latest beta, but I still find myself looking for the 'On the Double' setting. Anyone else found themselves telling their monitor 'just get in the car! - I'm right next to you dude! No don't lie down!'

In short - more control please! :)