Sign in to follow this  
H.A.W.K

New CPU, still same framerate

Hello,

I just bought new CPU (AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE and sold Intel C2D E8200 ) but my framerates are still the same (22 FPS max on 1280x1024, 100% fillrate, no AA, high AF, everything on medium high). Also, when i lower everything to Very Low FPS is still floating around 25. I tried CPUcount = 4, maxmem = 2047, reinstalling drivers (10.8 catalysts ATM).

My system:

Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz

4GB of DDR2 1333Mhz RAM (Kingston Hyperx)

Asus ATI Radeon HD 5850 (10.8 catalysts)

Using integrated Soundcard/Network adapter (Gigabyte MA770-US3)

And if you think its because of FADE, dont worry, got the original copy of the game.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: View Distance is set to 2350

Edited by H.A.W.K

I would guess that the reason is that the CPU was not the bottleneck for normal gameplay. Since I guess you still have the same GPU it's probable that the framerate is limited by that. Also, it might be that the graphics engine don't use mutiple cores effectively, and since the individual cores on your new CPU is only slightly faster, the difference might not be very noticable.

If you have any way of monitoring the CPU load on the individual cores during gameplay, you could see how much the game uses.

hi,

what hdd is in your rig?

maybe there is the bottleneck, i upgraded my hdd just slightly(from100mb/s to 150mb/s) an got ~10fps more.

hi,

what hdd is in your rig?

maybe there is the bottleneck, i upgraded my hdd just slightly(from100mb/s to 150mb/s) an got ~10fps more.

Got the Western Digital Caviar Green (500GB, 3 Gb/s)

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=338 here are the specifications...and i forgot to mention, HDD is defragmented ofcourse :)

I would guess that the reason is that the CPU was not the bottleneck for normal gameplay. Since I guess you still have the same GPU it's probable that the framerate is limited by that. Also, it might be that the graphics engine don't use mutiple cores effectively, and since the individual cores on your new CPU is only slightly faster, the difference might not be very noticable.

If you have any way of monitoring the CPU load on the individual cores during gameplay, you could see how much the game uses.

dont think so, my friend has got 8800GTX and Q6600 (without OC) and he is able to run it about 5-6FPS faster :)

5850 is over enough for this game. And engine take benefits of anything over 2 cores.

But looking at configuration, I have no idea why it runs so slow. Even on my PC with even higher settings I get more FPS.

Did you try older versions of graphics drivers?

;1741636']5850 is over enough for this game. And engine take benefits of anything over 2 cores.

But looking at configuration' date=' I have no idea why it runs so slow. Even on my PC with even higher settings I get more FPS.

Did you try older versions of graphics drivers?[/quote']

reinstalled to 10.8 just today...got 10.6 before and 10.4 with old CPU...FPS remained the same...and yeah, forgot to mention that both (got combined arms) games are patched up to date

How about your processes, are you running a lot of them?

Maybe you should have a look on what you are runnig on the pc.

Wich antivirus are you using? any scans runing?

Do you have any background program running?

I am sure some other peep here had same prob he reformatted and was all good.

Not the best way but gets rid of all that crap running in background and makes sure its not a hidden program running eg virus or what ever.

If ya can reformat try that have you all so come from Nvidia to ATI card without reformat?.

How about your processes, are you running a lot of them?

Maybe you should have a look on what you are runnig on the pc.

Wich antivirus are you using? any scans runing?

Do you have any background program running?

only background running is Fraps (not recording, just FPS watch), got Eset Smart security, no scan and got relatively fresh install of windows (with format ofevery partition, 2 weeks ago or so) so there are only system processes running in the background

here is the CPU usage + system processes list...clocks are so low because the multiplier goes down to x4 when not in game or CPU dependant app

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4761/72801091.png

Remove Fraps, use ATI Tray Tools to show FPS

Fraps cause alot of problems

I meant exit fraps, use Game Booster v1.51 if you need to clear some RAM

Edited by avengerzx

Ummm first thing that I see was 42c at only 800mhz :O that not good.

you sure its not overheating.

you sure the CPU does speed up when in game

you sure the CPU fan does speed up when CPU gets hotter?.

But yeah that temp looks high for the CPU to be only at 800mhz mine hits 42c under load at 2.6ghz.

But yeah that temp looks high for the CPU to be only at 800mhz mine hits 42c under load at 2.6ghz.

the screenshot is taken right after Alt tab from arma, the temps are cca 35 in idle and something under 50 at load :)

:P ah ok sorry but I was like wtf that high hehehe :).

Well try and disable Fraps I am sure in the Fraps option screen there is an option to limit frame rate sure ya not got it set to 25fps or lower?.

It is 805Mhz with a multiplier of 4 which the clock speed is 3220Mhz

-.-

And try use ATI Tray Tools, works very well with your drivers. Though mine works well, SP for BAF @ 51 FPS

76 is MAX

21 is lowest

Edited by avengerzx

Yeah I know the cpu don't run at 800mhz when under load I thought his temps was 42c running at 800mhz but as he said that was after ALR-Tab.

42c is above high on normal ARMA 2 load, maybe due to his AMD Stock cooler.

I get at most 38c with V8 at max fan speed

Hi I don't have an AMD so I cant compare what is normal for that CPU type I have a Q6700 at stock speeds for now ;) with a Titan Fenrir :).

Any way OP when/if ya get this sorted let us know what ya did.

But I am sure in Fraps there was a limit FPS option so look at that? though that may only limit the recorded FPS which would be my guess worth a look though.

also, i forgot to mention that the FPS in the Main menu screen is about 75 (the Khe Sahn panorama) and about 50-60 in the Country side view...so i dont think its Fraps limitation, but im going to try that Ati tray tools

Similiarly I have a Core i5-750 neither of our CPUs are AMD

even, i forgot to mention that the FPS in the Main menu screen is about 75 (the Khe Sahn panorama) and about 50-60 in the Country side view...so i dont think its Fraps limitation, but im going to try that Ati tray tools

Yes, In Main Menu I get 60 FPS. Even I force disable vsync in ATI Tray Tools.

I maxed my settings everything Very High, AA=High, AF=High, View Distance 2600 [Default], Post Processing = Low

Edited by avengerzx

Hi sorry whats this ATI tool tray thing and what is it going to do?.

I have a couple of days ago come from an 8800GT to a 4890 1gb and wooooot I am very happy now :).

So I to have an ATI card so whats the ATI tool tray thing.

Thanks

avengerzx I know your sig CPU was not AMD thought ya may have had two computers the other being AMD :P

i aint a noob when it comes to building computers do it all the time :) hahaha

Edited by stk2008

Hi sorry whats this ATI tool tray thing and what is it going to do?.

I have a couple of days ago come from an 8800GT to a 4890 1gb and wooooot I am very happy now :).

So I to have an ATI card so whats the ATI tool tray thing.

Thanks

avengerzx I know your sig CPU was not AMD thought ya may have had two computers the other being AMD :P

i aint a noob when it comes to building computers do it all the time :) hahaha

http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-tray-tools-/

ATI Tray Tools Works like Catalyst Control Center that adjust 3D Settings etc. But it also show the FPS Counter on every motional programs.

Ok thanks for link will try that would be nice to see what FPS I am getting cheers.

P.S me new sig...well new here any ways used it in another forum for a while now :)

I assume you get this 22 FPS in AI heavy missions? Should have got an I7 920.

edit: if you get this all the time, theres a massive bug somewhere.

hi again,

the caviar greens are very slow, due to their powersaving stuff(5400rpm,etc)

i updated from a samsung f1(100mb/s) to samsung f3 (150mb/s) and got my fps plus, the 3gb/s only tells how fast the interface can go in their dreams.

get "hdtune" and test your hdd maybe you get 3gb/s^^

hmmm got around 82MB/s at maximum...so, maybe you found the main bottleneck...gosh, spending money again on new HDD :/

EDIT: MAX 82, MIN 1.5, AVG 55, Burst is 135 cca, access time 15ms

Edited by H.A.W.K