Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

Make AI vehicles more threatening?

Is there a way to make it so that the AI does not bail out of a vehicle once it has been immobilized?

Case and point, you come across an BRDM in this case, as a soldier it can really ruin your day..knowing that the AI will bail you use the strategy of simply shooting out the tires and bingo they bail.

Is there a way to make it so that regardless of vehicle, if it's armored the AI will remain inside and use the gun to further harass you?

What about locking vehicles in the editor menu, doesn't this keep them from unboarding and boarding? Cant check right now, I am at work.

Ditto I'm house sitting for someone for several more days..ahh day three and already am having Arma withdrawel.

Sorry to say locking the vehicle only seems to apply to the player and not the AI.

The AI seem to leave the vehicle when it's no longer able to move which as we know is stupid.

The problem is if you have asked them to move what do you want them to do when the vehicle is disabled, sit there forever or try and complete the mission on foot.

We really need more lock commands that could be applied to the AI or all.

This would be really useful for keeping Civs in a car, right now they jump out of vehicles when they hear a gun shot which ruins the reality.

The best behavior would be for all the AI but the gunner to get out, and have the gunner suppress you while the rest of the squad tries to flank. Then when combat has ended and they return to non-combat behavior they would abandon the vehicle and proceed on to wherever they're going.

Well I dotn see stupidity in disembarkign a disables vehicle...staying in and wayting for the final curtain to fall would be stupid. The only real problem for me is that A.I. tends to stay to close to a soon to explode vehicle.

btw. In Multiplayer I do the same as A.I. does...ejecting...not waiting for the secong PG7VR to impact...thats why I have the "eject" action on a button....you can't eject fast enough ;)

Not talking full scale destroy or anything like that, just a immobilization, basicly makes APC's easy to get around since all you have to do is shoot out a tire and the crew pop out instead of the gunner remaining and scanning for you.

They all disembark when the car can't drive the gun is still functional. I'd wouldn't mind if there was just a delay in the gunner getting out say 10-20 seconds for the other AI to find cover.

The AI will stay in a heavily damage vehicle if you set the damage in editor ie set the slider to about %80 damage. It has 4 flat tyres and is badly shot up but they stay in.

It still makes no sense for Civs to jump out of a fully function car and go prone in the middle of the road and then keep jumping in and out every few seconds.

That's a very good point. I totally agree that it's about time that BIS got around to fixing this.

From what I understand, most armies train their crews to continue manning the damaged vehicles as long as any of the vehicle's weapons remain operational and the crew's life is not in the immediate danger (i.e. the vehicle is not on fire). The game would be quite a bit more challenging and realistic if this behavior was modeled properly.

That's a very good point. I totally agree that it's about time that BIS got around to fixing this.

From what I understand, most armies train their crews to continue manning the damaged vehicles as long as any of the vehicle's weapons remain operational and the crew's life is not in the immediate danger (i.e. the vehicle is not on fire). The game would be quite a bit more challenging and realistic if this behavior was modeled properly.

There was a story once of a Abram’s crew that became immobilized (and I think the gun was damaged too) with dozens of insurgents shooting RPGs and rifles at the tank; it got hit over 17 times I think (might be 14), and survived that long for back up to arrive and relive them.

Imagine if they had just gotten out of the tank after the tracks broke :rolleyes: