Sign in to follow this  
DeclaredEvol

Enb Series for ArmA 2 or OA [GFX Mod]

@DeclaredEvol

i get a similar effect when raising the ingame brightness and lower gamma to stabilize the contrast. (postprocessing ingame set to "normal").

To me the screenshots are too shiny. http://img227.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=enb2009111963534.png

Anyways, if you read carefully the instructions tell you to turn your Gamma down and your brightness up. Once the color is better, then enable the mod in which it will sharpen the image by 50% and no, just doing these two things do not accomplish the exact same effect. That is only the least bit of it. These screen shots were before I turned the bloom down, idk if you saw but my first release of this mod was messed up and I had to reconfigure it. Download the mod and see for your self, the image is a bit sharper now. And certainly not as bright, but those photos are what it looked like before I made changes. "I will upload some more pictures soon"

Edited by DeclaredEvol

I ran this mod today and I have a few observations.

I used the mod with Arma2 and OA as Combined and beta 72291

-menus appear to be dark, probably due to gamma @ zero

-aside from a being a bit darker, the changes in this mod to the sharpness are very subtle.

-toggle mod 'on' works as stated, however, when I toggle the mod 'off', I get screen flickering. The only way to stop the flickering is to toggle mod 'on' again, or restart Arma2/OA

1316247.png

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

-Ziggy-;1722274']I ran this mod today and I have a few observations.

I used the mod with Arma2 and OA as Combined and beta 72291

-menus appear to be dark' date=' probably due to gamma @ zero

-aside from a being a bit darker, the changes in this mod to the sharpness are very subtle.

-toggle mod 'on' works as stated, however, when I toggle the mod 'off', I get screen flickering. The only way to stop the flickering is to toggle mod 'on' again, or restart Arma2/OA

1316247.png

Hmm, flickering... well I am not going to tell you to update your drivers... but that could be a small help. What graphics card do you have???

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Btw, everyone who has read this thread... I am updating the graphics engine to something a little bit more cozy. There will be a few more effects, but I noticed that the enbseries mod doesn't exactly do much more. But I noticed changes in the bloom and sharpness, not an extreme amount. But it gives it a different feel, and less cartoonish imo. I am not 100% sure that the graphics update is going to do anything good, but I will be testing things sooner or later. I will get back to you eventually...

I see some strange shadow flickering on the borders of everything, I dont know if this only happen to me. You can notice it more on the estructures with the sky as background

holy crap its like sharpened and bloom 'raped' , no thanks.

Did your mod changes something in the game? It looks very weird now and I cant fix it, I see some flickering shadows on every object and the horizont, mountains, etc. I deleted all the files of the mod, It looks like your mode broke my game :mad:

This is how it looks now and I dont know how to fix it, those strange shadows are flickering everywhere and they are very annoying. Can you answer please?

arma2oa0001.th.jpg

arma2oa0002.th.jpg

that's ambient occlusion. you turned off the mod?

yes, and deleted all files mod from arma2 main folder too. so something changes in the game config that i downt know what it is

yes, and deleted all files mod from arma2 main folder too. so something changes in the game config that i downt know what it is

if u runnin on nividia card just go to the nividia control panel and turn off ambient occlusion it will fix it. thats the effect of ambient occlusion.

That file posted by DXfan01 works a lot better

Still though, had to put BloomMaxLimit=0, and the setting postprocess effects ingame to very low. With this, fps does not seem to get a performance hit.

This is how it looks now and I dont know how to fix it, those strange shadows are flickering everywhere and they are very annoying. Can you answer please?

arma2oa0001.th.jpg

arma2oa0002.th.jpg

That would be ambient occlusion, the shadows surrounding objects. Unfortunately, I didn't turn it off before I released it. Any ways go into your enb series.ini file and look for it, you will find it under [Effect] and UseAmbientOcclusion=1 [Change it to 0]

that's ambient occlusion. you turned off the mod?

Thanks!

if u runnin on nividia card just go to the nividia control panel and turn off ambient occlusion it will fix it. thats the effect of ambient occlusion.

and thanks you too' date=' I didnt know hot to turn it off

That would be ambient occlusion, the shadows surrounding objects. Unfortunately, I didn't turn it off before I released it. Any ways go into your enb series.ini file and look for it, you will find it under [Effect] and UseAmbientOcclusion=1 [Change it to 0]

Ok, thanks, and sry but your mod is not of my prefference. Not bat though...

Edited by SpetS15

Btw, guys I am releasing a better version that I am using off of the other guy's download. It is mostly like his version, except I am enhancing it with the sharpness and more Field of View. Field of View is the ability to distinguish objects by distance, and what it does it blurs out objects you are not focused on with your eyes. And sharpens the one you are concentrated on.

Sorry guys, but ENBSeries has always been a joke. It has not been supported by the original devs for about two years now, and people try to "port it" to different games that it doesn't really work on.

90% of the things ENB claims to be able to do are already being done by ArmA 2.

On a lot of different games' forums, there's always some thread about using ENB, and the download usually either contains a virus or will screw up your game.

The OP in each of these threads usually has a bunch of ridiculous jargon (parallax occlusion, real-time shading, etc.) in order to make it seem legit.

Now, maybe I'm being too cynical, but let's take a look at some of these:

Enb series contains HDR Bloom Effects, Sharper Image, Ambient Occlusion, Higher Texture Resolution at lower 3d Resolutions, Real-time lighting and shading for objects.

ArmA 2 already does all of these things. Every single one of them. And what the heck is "sharper image" as a graphics effect? Doesn't make sense.

Remember people, this is the alpha version

They always say that. This is basically a warning sign, "won't do any of the things it is advertised to do".

I don't know what happened to the d3d9.dll

I've seen people say this when talking about ENB on an OpenGL game (ha!), it's a stock phrase.

No, I am actually running on a Nvidia 9800gtx+ and that is half a gigabyte of vid memory.

The game itself can barely run on a 9800, and if the "mod" actually did all of these graphic updates, you would be going into single digit FPS territory. Another stock phrase.

the most this mod will do for you is sharpen video image so you can see more detail. And provide HDR Bloom effects for bright and dark objects.

The only way to get a "sharper video image" is to make sure your interface resolution is set at your monitor's native resolution, and then try to increase the 3D resolution. And again, ArmA 2 already does HDR effects.

Really folks, steer clear of these ENB "mods". People try to use them for a lot of games, and it just doesn't do well. Even if it did work, the amount of effort needed to get it working isn't worth the graphical payoff (especially when the game itself does all of the things ENB claims to do).

The game itself can barely run on a 9800, and if the "mod" actually did all of these graphic updates, you would be going into single digit FPS territory. Another stock phrase.

eh, back in my PC days*, GF9800GTX+ 512MB could run OA really good.

*stuck on a fckin laptop now.

@Duckmeister 02-22-2011, 10:02 PM

Enbseries overrides DirectX defaults and does only that. I have no idea what you're talking about.

A game executable first looks for DLL's in its own folder before it checks the default locations like ..\system32. The modified DLL's, libraries, look for the ini file to load settings. It's not exactly rocket science. Whether it works for you and how entirely depends on your GPU, your OS, your CPU, memory and so on, and important the settings you use. Don't expect good results by downloading a random ini file. Forget about it if you don't bother to read instructions.

Most GPU's allow you to make game profiles nowadays, this is basically the same thing. Enbseries however is bare to the bone and straight forward. I have far better night graphics now by tweaking a little. Far less saturation, less lamp post ambient occlusion and darker is clearly an improvement. That is: to me. With my settings for my GPU with my monitor and so on. I also use Enbseries with FSX which gives superb results at day and night.

Manufacturers and developers go for the average PC configuration. It doesn't make sense for a BI or Microsoft or EA Games to tweak graphic settings for people with exactly GPU X, monitor Y, CPU Z and Windows Q, so some things may be disabled or turned low by default while your gear is perfectly capable. GPU manufacturers have one worry less, they know what GPU you are using, so they can provide templates for you to play with. It's still limited though.

Enbseries gives you very basic control over how DirectX should translate things to your GPU. It sits between the in-game graphic settings and the settings of your GPU. It allows you to fine tune things with high precision. For sure it is over-control if you don't know what you are doing.

For those who want to test, download enbseries.ini and the DLL's, put them in your game directory. You may need an additional DLL, you can find it online. Now edit the ini file, set 'use effect' under [global] to 1, set all effects under [effect] to 0 and slowly start building your profile with a little bit of common sense and Google. In an hour or so you can do pretty much. Changing this ini-file does not change Arma2 and you can always abandon ship immediately by hitting shift-F12 and/or deleting the ini+DLL's. Enbseries is not a mod but there are settings that may hit your fps like motionblur. Keep it turned off.

I tried several ini-files to find one that gave me so-so results and started to edit that one. That may be a good start if you see trash. While tweaking, you don't have to restart Arma2 after every change. Just go to the editor and make a dummy mission with you as a player, some people, some vehicles, a fire, somewhere near a city. Hit preview. Not satisfied, go back to the editor, hit alt-tab and change some settings. Save, go back to Arma2, preview. You may do this for different times of day and weather. Hit shift-F12 to enable/disable to see the difference.

If you're fine with your game as it is, good. Don't bother. But don't believe scary ghost stories about viruses and missing DLL's. Enbseries is magnificent if you know how it works, how to use it and spend some time testing. I won't be surprised if it's 'alpha'. The guy adjusted some DLL's to look for an ini file, added some text at initialization and added some hooks for keyboard combinations like shift F12. There's not much more to develop.

hi dudes !

any news about a working enbserie SSAO for arma2/CO ? i have an old one , 0.75 for GTA SA , but SSAO is not correct. it darkened all the screen. i tried several bugfix value without success...

ps: is nvidia SSAO working with this game ? is it fast enough ? (screen please :D ) if so, i think i will change my GPU for a nv.

NVIDIA SSAO works, doesn't look correct though. It isn't faster than the engine SSAO. I don't think it is worthwhile tinkering with the ENB SSAO options when there is a perfectly good SSAO effect in game. And judging by screenshots it doesn't look good in game anyway.

There are good things in ENB series that you can utilize - but SSAO is not one of them for this game.

NVIDIA SSAO works' date=' doesn't look correct though. It isn't faster than the engine SSAO. I don't think it is worthwhile tinkering with the ENB SSAO options when there is a perfectly good SSAO effect in game. And judging by screenshots it doesn't look good in game anyway.

There are good things in ENB series that you can utilize - but SSAO is not one of them for this game.[/quote']

arma engine's ssao doesn't take care of wall , building and unit. with my ATI gpu , anyway. maybe it's a bug . but i used to play with enbserie on oblivion, and even if ssao was not perfect , it was a real improvement for the less.