Sign in to follow this  
-martin-

Taviana Island for ArmA 2!

Just forget everything I said please, for I'm not very good at explaining things sometimes. Just look at the top part Martin I don't know why I said it was a competition.

SORRY

Just discovered these beauts http://shareimage.org/viewer.php?file=e4f35k99p3xwzivj2vl.jpg

Wondering if they're still being worked on? Really like the look of them.

New port town looks great as well looking forward to BETA :D

They definitely are and I plan to release them with the beta. The only problem is that I’m using BIS models as the base but I want to change some of the units hats and equipment but when I decompress the BIS models all the selections and stuff are gone. I have no idea how units work in ArmA 2 no matter what I try, so I’m pretty much stuck for now.

If anyone wishes to help me with this just PM me. :wink_o:

Another thing, you actually may have some competition.

The Cook City project looks damn good, but by the looks of it, looks completely urban, which means your map will still be more dynamic. You also seem to be spending so much time on your map, which is a good thing. Then why do I say there is competition? I say this because instead of being mostly rural like most other maps(with the exception of yours), they went in the completely other direction. This opens the door to a whole bunch of new possibilities. However, so does your map, so we will see if the cook city project can even come close. I know that this really isn't about competition, even though I just sort of said it is, but just though I'd let you know, so perhaps that it is a good thing that there is a possibility of more than just one good map for Arma.

So it’s like an East vs West thing? :biggrin:

Well, on a serious note I think you pretty much answered your own question in that post with this:

I say this because instead of being mostly rural like most other maps(with the exception of yours), they went in the completely other direction. This opens the door to a whole bunch of new possibilities. However, so does your map, so we will see if the cook city project can even come close.

The Cook City project and Taviana are environments that both go in a different direction in terms of what the user can do with them and are both set in different parts of the world.

The aim of Taviana has always been to bring a scaled down version of a functional Eastern bloc republic in to ArmA 2 like Nogova in OFP (because Taviana is originally ported from OFP) but with more infrastructure, detailed custom buildings e.g. a parliament, schools etc… to have a fully functional mini country because this was missing in OFP and is still missing in ArmA 2.

OFP trough to ArmA 2 also don’t have any large detailed urban environments (on default islands) which is something that Taviana aims to fill in too while still having detailed countryside and overall fitting in to the OFP/ArmA 2 theme, allowing users to create all kinds of missions. Taviana also aims to push the boundaries of the Poseidon engine a little bit e.g. giant bridge, tunnel, big buildings etc…

The aim of The Cook City project is to create a very large, destroyed American urban environment for urban missions.

So depending on what kind of mission someone wants to create, they will choose one of these islands that best fit their criteria.

I know that this really isn't about competition, even though I just sort of said it is, but just though I'd let you know, so perhaps that it is a good thing that there is a possibility of more than just one good map for Arma.

Well as ProfTournesol said, modding is a hobby so I don’t really mind if there is an island better than mine, on the other hand I will be very happy if there is because I can download it and play on it :biggrin:

Two different maps' date=' two different ideas. One is western, one is eastern. I doubt the gent has any intention in changing his map to fit the Western city look.. [/quote']

I don’t, but even if I did, a Western map would require me to start with a completely different mind-set and idea to get the correct look and feel.

Just forget everything I said please, for I'm not very good at explaining things sometimes. Just look at the top part Martin I don't know why I said it was a competition.

SORRY

No problem good.gif

Anyway, I finished another area of the island and I’ll post some screen shots later today or tomorrow!

Edited by -Martin-

Completely agree with you Martin the best thing about Taviana is that with it's unique content (custom buildings, tunnels etc) it actually has everything a real country has making it brilliantly realistic and creating endless possibilities...

Great to hear the Taviana army is still underway look forward to using them in missions. Thank you for your work on this brilliant project :D

Well, here are the new screenshots that I promised. (Please note that I haven’t added this area to the satellite mask yet so the ground is green everywhere.)

The beta has now reached: 85%

ngfdhd3n0dxkf2btc9g_thumb.jpg

A little picturesque lake with a Catholic church on the cliff above. (Oh yeah, notice the snow on the mountains, my friend Fargustino improved the satellite mask to make it look more realistic.)

260ikrgttzy22hi55v5r_thumb.jpg

The valley on the other side.

c6mhnp84entxdagwt0x3_thumb.jpg

A look at the lake form the cliff.

ljvatm4ky7lpawa9zb_thumb.jpg

Some logging has been going on here =(

bo9g0orkcsa1bwfps4un_thumb.jpg

A look at the town called “Martinâ€, guess after who… from a nearby castle.

nr9firg0zchs9fqx5jg_thumb.jpg

Statue in the centre of the town.

c3gcsjnep157w41bjjva_thumb.jpg

Bird’s eye view of the area.

qdkcvnazj3ssh96err_thumb.jpg

And a map of the area.

e9x9ceohoaxvhmlbdhmx_thumb.jpg

Also made some new carriages for Taviana (these objects are static on the island)

Now for some important news.

A little “perestroika†has taken place on Taviana. I’ve began converting all the signs and stuff written in Latin, in to Cyrillic script because it makes sense, Taviana is a predominantly Orthodox country so Cyrillic has to be the main alphabet. Cyrillic is also associated with Eastern Europe more than Latin, Cyrillic is also much closer to me then Latin... So yeah, I made a few screenshots:

zrpre7o53hbzflxnryg_thumb.jpg

Edited by -Martin-

Absolutely stunning work! The mountains look much better now, as does the surrounding area with the vegetation in place. Very beautiful scenery and of course it has that authentic feel to it that I'd expect to see being in that part of the world.

The new town is a welcome sight, as is the conversion of all signs and so forth into Cyrillic. Time consuming I'm sure, but again, authentic and as you said it brings the association much closer to what you're trying to produce.

Amazing! I have a video planned for the beta version release. Looking forward to it.

I hope you guys have 3D glasses:D

Martin, do you have corrected the grass on the airport taxiway?

Martin, do you have corrected the grass on the airport taxiway?

Hi Max54,

Yes I have, here is how it looks now:

fwb8o98mj1b07obw76lx_thumb.jpg

n7yfj503jwq42m6588q_thumb.jpg

I have also added the area shown in the last update to the satellite mask, here is how it looks from the air:

n78jh0vzlwidlcqfd5p_thumb.jpg

6x23dj0oxaatkak9ln05_thumb.jpg

News:

I have finished all the object placement in Visitor for the BETA, it is now 90% complete.

The final stage will be to resume fixing all the bugs and missing parts found in the Alpha version and then to examine the completed BETA island for any missed imperfections and last minute tweaks, this should take about 2 weeks.

I will not be doing much updates or posting screenshots during this time, so I will see you guys, hopefully on Christmas Eve :smile:

Papa bear, Out.

Edited by -Martin-

hi martin!

Nice airport taxiway now :)

I have found a bug on the alpha. When i want to go in the restaurant on the beach, i fall through of floor ^^

Hey guys,

Just a small thing that some may find interesting.

As I work my way through the island to fix bugs I'm also adding drains (this was always missing in urban areas) and I have finally implemented new street names on poles (so that they don't stay in the air when the building collapses) as Topas suggested a few months ago.

Thanks for the idea again Topas :yay:

The screenies were taken in Bulldozer so they are quite small.

Untitled.jpg

drain.jpg

hi martin!

Nice airport taxiway now :)

I have found a bug on the alpha. When i want to go in the restaurant on the beach, i fall through of floor ^^

Don't worry it will be fixed soon :wink_o:

Dedication to Attention to detail is very impressive, it is stuff like this which makes it feel so real and awesome to play on!

Can I ask when are you going to release the beta of this map?

It looks really wonderfull :O

Can I ask when are you going to release the beta of this map?

It looks really wonderfull :O

When it's done. LOL :D

This map is definitely a milestone in map making. The great amount of details and custom stuff is sheer amazing and that's why it takes so long.

Map making takes time especially when doing lot's of custom stuff cause you need to make it from scratch.

For how long are you working on Tavania now Martin?

Keep up this outstanding work.

In any case thanks for this jewel and for sharing it with us. :)

Guys, I'm having trouble with my internet connection, so I don't know if I will be to upload the BETA by Christmas, hopefully I will get it all sorted by then. I'm in a internet cafe now. So see you guys soon, hopefully. :(

For how long are you working on Tavania now Martin?

Well that’s a hard question, I started this map in OFP and worked on if on and off for about2 years and then gave up on it since nobody played OFP anymore.

The I got a new PC and started converting the old map to ArmA 2, but I didn't work on ti very intensively so it took long. In the past 6 months I really started to work on it intensively and got more then helf of the island done.

So all in all 4 years but in real time about 1.5 :biggrin: I wish I had more time, to get it done faster but I can only work on it for a few hours every day and on the weekends.

St. Martin Street in communist city? :D

But looks awesome anyway :P

Damn I was hoping nobody would notice that :o

Hey Martin, this is awsome, keep up the good work. Once this is finished, it will be the flat out BEST island, EVER! I've got the alpha, and its awsome. I dont think its been reported yet, but, in the trainyard, north of Sabina, where the large quarry like area is, the railroad platform next to all the tanker cars the steps are unuseable, making the platform unuseable. Thanks again and keep up the Great work! :)

Guys, I'm having trouble with my internet connection, so I don't know if I will be to upload the BETA by Christmas, hopefully I will get it all sorted by then. I'm in a internet cafe now. So see you guys soon, hopefully. :(

Martin, thanks again for all your work on this wonderful island. I for one am happy to wait (albeit greedily :) until you are ready to upload the Beta.

Have a great Christmas :cancan:

Orcinus

Martin, thanks again for all your work on this wonderful island. I for one am happy to wait (albeit greedily :) until you are ready to upload the Beta.

Have a great Christmas :cancan:

Orcinus

Well said Orcinus! :) I don't mind waiting either, for in the end it's patience what is rewarded all the more. And Martin: I hope you enjoy the time being off the hook.

Hey Martin, this is awsome, keep up the good work. Once this is finished, it will be the flat out BEST island, EVER! I've got the alpha, and its awsome. I dont think its been reported yet, but, in the trainyard, north of Sabina, where the large quarry like area is, the railroad platform next to all the tanker cars the steps are unuseable, making the platform unuseable. Thanks again and keep up the Great work! :)

Hi HoodRussian13,

Could you make a screenshot of the problem with the railroad platform please, because I don't know if you were referring to the same place I think or not, I just want to make sure that the bug you found is fixed for sure.

@Orcinus & Thani '82: Thanks guys :cheers:

"Config: "names" array does not have 3 entries error wen I run this mod

"Config: "names" array does not have 3 entries error wen I run this mod

Just press "OK" and continue to play as normal. I have fixed this error and it won't be present in the BETA. ;)