Sign in to follow this  
JSK100

Should I buy Combined Operations or just Operation Arrowhead

Hey guys. I just got the demo for Operation arrowhead and I really like it! I'm wondering what should I buy? Should I buy Operation Arrowhead or buy Combined Operations which is Arma 2 + Operation Arrowhead for only $50.

Do games online usually require both to play? Or is just OA? Thanks!

Edited by JSK100
Clarification

If you don't have Arma2 get both. It's not that much more and you'll get Russian and US Marine units as well as 2 other maps. Oh and more fake country units too which can always be fun to pit against eachother.

Combined Ops is the best buy becuase not only do you get both games, a lot of User made missions require both games! :D

yeah in terms of mods getting combined Ops will mean you can use most mods made for Arma2 as well as any for arrowhead. As was mentioned most people have CO afaik

Does anyone know if Sprocket installs and leaves behind a resident program that boots up everytime you start your system, similar to Steam ?

Does anyone know if Sprocket installs and leaves behind a resident program that boots up everytime you start your system, similar to Steam ?

Gives you a little sprocket exe specific to the game files that you then use to download them, then you have the game install files that you can use and reuse at your leisure.

OK, thanks for the replies. I always found Steam a bit intrusive and at times a ressource hog. Seems Sprocket is light-weight

-OP

Yes get combined if you can, because most of the usual suspect large conversion mods, campaigns and missions pretty much cater for combined only, or standalone OA is an afterthought from what I have seen so far, then you have servers and MP that then use such things, that way you have no limitations as you grow with the game. Also many of the engine features that are in OA running through into A2 are much better (clock direction system for one).

Out of the two I agree sprocket is the one that seems a little less "in its own control bubble" :) I like to treat online purchase download like a shop, pay for it, hand it over, theirs the key, do as you wish to keep it up to date etc etc, not tied to something too much.

Edited by mrcash2009

Best best to ensure all mods and missions work is to go for Combined Ops.

If you don't buy CO now for $10 more and decide later you'll want it it'll cost you $40 more. That should be enough reason. :)

Not that my opinion is really needed, it's the same as everyone's, but I thought I'd chime in anyways. It's a slow day for me. :p

Definitely get Combined Operations, you'll regret it later if you don't.