Sign in to follow this  
Bulldog72

Disabling builtin voice chat system?

I would like to completely disable the OA builtin voice chat system for me... dont want to send or even want the hear anyone using it (TS3 is the way I prefer).

How would I do that?

Only thing I see in the settings is to turn down the volumes for FON and mic - but is that all I can do to "disable" it?

No, no - ty but I mean client side.

My fault, I was unclear - I do not want to set up a server... I just dont want to send or hear anything coming through the builtin voice chat or have it interfere with TS3 communication.

Turn the volume down?

Beat me to it.....

Why disable VON anyways? its great in OA, better than TS3 in my opinion (except for ACRE)

And it is much more flexible as TS...as it has swtichable channels...I dont like TS because with 16 Players TS becomes the big powpow blah blah...I don't hear anything around me anymore shit up holy shit what was that and no im not interested in your divorce details I have another beer right now no thank you... voice chat. Unfortunatly more and more servers deativate VON because it is rumoured to cause lag.

Yeah, thats what I do atm - turn the volume down.

But this way the communication is still "there" - meaning unnecessary packets wandering back and forth.

Hence my question... any way to disable it "more"?

Maybe even let some server know that this client can not (or will not) use it at all and doesnt need to receive any FON related traffic...

Edited by Bulldog72

I prefer the in game chat to be honest, for the reasons posted above.

Last night ingame/ts3 we are all in a humvee driving down the road, when somebody shouts "STOP I SEE ENEMY" when it was nothing to do with us at all!

It is confusing, but everybody seams to like TS3 better :/

And it is much more flexible as TS...as it has swtichable channels...I dont like TS because with 16 Players TS becomes the big powpow blah blah...I don't hear anything around me anymore shit up holy shit what was that and no im not interested in your divorce details I have another beer right now no thank you... voice chat. Unfortunatly more and more servers deativate VON because it is rumoured to cause lag.

Hi Beagle

TS3 Also has channels and Whisper to Channel Commanders same as TS 2 did.

ACRE when it eventualy goes feature complete with patches less than once a quarter, will be a good tool one day. Up to now it is like ACE was always; in development and consequently next to useless.

Three talk keys needed for all:

1) [Mouse Thumb button] Push To Talk

2) Left [Alt] ) Whisper to: Channel Commanders in Channel Family

3) [Tab] ) Whisper to: all.

One Toggle button needed for all

Right [Alt Gr] Switch On/Off Whisper to: Channel Commanders in Channel Family

Just break your Mission player spots into Fire teams or Squads and have TS set up with ten numbered channels 0 to 9 you can assign [Ctrl] plus number pad buttons to switch channels. Commanders of each team/squad turn on channel commander.

Squads fill from the top [0] is always the HQ, the rest go alpha numeric Alpha or First Squad to [1], Bravo or Second Squad to [2], Charlie or Third Squad to [3] etc. [9] tends to be aircraft or snipers etc.

Medic goes in the HQ channel along with support asset controlers such as FAC's. The Medic has Whisper to: Channel Commanders in Channel Family turned on same as all squad commanders and support asset controlers. Any one in the HQ channel, such as the medic, can switch channels to another group where they are needed in that group.

3) [Tab] ) Whisper to: all, is rarely used in mission and is reserved for the mission commander and is normaly only used for the briefing screen; or for admin messages, and rarely to let all players know of a major and imediate threat; such as: Fire in the hole with countdown warnings for somone about to blow a charge, or perhaps a major threat appearance such as a tank in the immediate vicinity of infantry of another squad.

It helps if players are aware of good comm's procedures such as these:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Radio_Comms

And use a formal contact report methods like these:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Contact_Reports

An occasional "Clear Comm's" or "Cut the Cackle!" on your squads channel from the mission commander may be needed both to keep order and when the commander is recieving an important command message. Or perhaps a "In Contact! Wait. Out." up the command channel when a commander is bothering a squad commander fighting for their life.

Do it this way and you end up with 4 to 9 players in each channel and only channel commanders have to listen to multiple conversations.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

I prefer the in game chat to be honest, for the reasons posted above.

Last night ingame/ts3 we are all in a humvee driving down the road, when somebody shouts "STOP I SEE ENEMY" when it was nothing to do with us at all!

Use the vehicle, direct or groupchat instead.

Even though the VON isnt as clear as TS3 etc, it can still be a good addition for those unexpected situations, like for the SL to talk to the driver of a transport without set coms, direct chat for talking with people next too you without clogging up the fireteam coms etc.

Edited by sparks50

Nothing wrong with ingame VON. It is a complete fallacy thtat it causes lag. The only problem is numpties that refuse to buy a mic!

No one ever said VON is wrong or something - but IF using teamspeak (or any other chat system for whatever reason) then the builtin chat system is redundant; I only wanted to know if there's a way to completely get rid of it is all.

Guess thats a "no" then, ha...

It is a complete fallacy thtat it causes lag.

Never noticed that in OA, even with 30 people speaking ;)

In case of ArmA TS is a redundancy...and I dont want to have a programm running in the background that i cant control since i have only one TFT...I need my Keys for Arma itself...have push to talk and channel change on my HOTAS. But if I want to know how the elections in the Netherland or Belgium are going I can go TS anytime. And the best thing about VON is...I just plug in my headset...thats all.

Edited by Beagle