Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

Really great idea for insertion of troops

I know alot of people here like to assault enemy bases by sending in a huge airborne parachute invasion using a bunch of Blackhawks or Chinooks for insertion. Your basic airborne assault.

This is great for large conventional battles.

But what about those occasions when you are conducting spec ops behind enemy lines and you need to do things stealthily and quickly?

How about sending the Blackhawks in low, and letting the men quickly slide down ropes? It is MUCH faster than waiting to touch the ground while in a parachute.

And I think that it would be easy to implement in the game. It would be good for sending in Blackhawks in really low and stealthy, and inserting men into a very specific spot or location. This is helpful when there are many unfriendly units patrolling nearby.

This would be very useful in the game, and is used in real life operations for getting men in quickly and unnoticed in hostile territory.

What do you all think?

And please think about this before you all say that this must be stupid and immature joke.

I really think this should be implemented in OPF and would be very usefull. I also think it can be easily done. Perhaps in a future patch? I mean, it would work kind of like the ladder, only you would automatically slide down, and at a quicker speed. And there wouln't be a ladder, there would be a rope.

ive actually posted fast roping, although any heliborne insertion, if done right is quick, "touch-n-go".

i consulted some prog's and the main problem is texturing and modelling the ropes. there is a danger of lagging.

in real life fast roping is used by spec-ops. reg units use touch-n-go methods.

main problem with fast roping is that the chopper cant fly fast. it cant fly above 70 knots. which isnt so bad but it restricts it manuverability. more over, if u want to use the "flare" maneuver u have to wait till the chopper "flares" before deploying ropes, which doesnt give any edge.

the only useful parachuting is HALO-HAHO type, which inserts by parachuting miles from the actual landing site.

all in all its nice idea but not too realistic concerning regular units.

if anyone wants to take it up-on himself here is some data:

black hack can fast rope up to 8 ppl at any time.

the chopper isnt allowed to fly faster then 70 knots.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the only useful parachuting is HALO-HAHO type, which inserts by parachuting miles from the actual landing site.

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes but only spec ops units use HALO-HAHO. Static line mass exit is very useful for putting alot of troops on the ground fast. Realitically (not OFP) static line airborne ops occur between 900-1200 feet AGL. HALO and fast roping scripts in OFP have so far been shaky at best. I have been happier sticking to conventional Airborne and Air Mobile ops in OFP.

you really end up making good use of those invisable "H"s

Also, its not like it takes a year and a day to deploy troops by landing the black hawk first

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">U guys tryed the steerable parachute yet?

Its still in betastage but its very nifty <span id='postcolor'>

yeah I tried it. It's cool but also a bitch to copy and paste all those scripts to use it in other missions. Definitely going in the right direction. smile.gif

Didn't someone already make a fast roping script?

I'm pretty sure I heard a lot about it.

What I do is just make a script that makes the chopper fly in low, then eject the cargo at a minimum alititude. (60ft)

It takes about 20 seconds to get everyone on the ground. So it's about the same amount of time as fast roping, because we don't need to wait in line to get out.

you could just have the chopper hover slowly at 2-3 m altitude and let the guys jump out..just as macho and fast wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pete @ April 27 2002,14:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you could just have the chopper hover slowly at 2-3 m altitude and let the guys jump out..just as macho and fast wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Pete, didn't know you were still around wink.gif

Yeah, I like the idea of hovering 2 m above ground level too, choppers do that if you don't use an (in)visible H, but troops just don't wanna jump out. All you need is a tiny script that issues the eject command once it reaches 2m altitude or something smile.gif

You can use the "land" function in scripts to make a chopper hover at 1 meter, while troops disembark. (see official scripting reference -> LAND).

What I was picturing was inserting troops into a tight area. Like a forest, or town.

If you could land the chopper, then that's the best way. Once it touches down, have everyone eject at the same time. So the chopper is in and out in 1 second.

Well i think fastroping would be a cool idea. I could come in handy for dropping troops in a city (Blackhawk down inspired) wink.gif

Arch.

tactically its a big mistake to land forces right down into a battle.

fast roping in mainly used by CT and SP-OP in contained and limited enviroment. though in junglr mode that can be very useful.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ April 27 2002,03:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the only useful parachuting is HALO-HAHO type, which inserts by parachuting miles from the actual landing site.

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes but only spec ops units use HALO-HAHO. Static line mass exit is very useful for putting alot of troops on the ground fast. Realitically (not OFP) static line airborne ops occur between 900-1200 feet AGL. HALO and fast roping scripts in OFP have so far been shaky at best. I have been happier sticking to conventional Airborne and Air Mobile ops in OFP.<span id='postcolor'>

ummm 82nd jumps from 800 feet.

im sorry to wake you all but para-ops are obsolete and dengarous way to move men into the field.

the last major op that was done this way was in '56 and since then, there was no such action when choppers were available.

so, para-ops are really a thing for spec-ops only.

Fast roping doesn't take them all down one at a time.

I have seen pics where several lines are dropped down and they all get down pretty fast.

And the chopper can be up at the tree height.  

And it's not like each soldeir waits for the man under them to get all the way to the ground before they fast rope.

I've seen it where many men are using a rope at the same time and as soon as one hits the ground, he rolls to the side so that he doesn't get landed on.

And this also makes insertion more exact.  You can put them in at a perfect spot.

Unlike airborne where you spend like a whole minute and a half to drift to the ground and are uncertain of you exact locaton once you get there.

Fast roping would be MUCH faster than airborne insertion.

I mean, have you noticed how long it actually takes to hit the ground??  By that time the enemy would have already noticed your parachute canopy and are making their way to your position.

And I never said this should be used directly into enemy faces.

This should be used stealthily in some woods or behind some cover and the Blackhawk should come in LOW behind concealment.  This is so that the enemy doesn't see the chopper coming in the make the insertion.  And all the men hit the ground pretty quickly and stealthy.

Also, I am tired of my men dying once they jump out of the chopper.

They don't die from enemy fire.

They get killed as soon as they jump out.

Even when I am flying real high.  200 yards, and flying at about 0 miles an hour.  Using auto hover.  

They still get hurt when they jump out.  I don't know why.

But I think fast roping would solve alot of this.

Plus, I wouln't need to fly so high, and would therefore not be in that much danger.

u're comparing the wrong things. the comparisson should be to "touxh-n-go maneuver" with a chopper.

tactically speaking, the second method is better cause it doesnt restrict the speed of the chopper and its manueverability.

the touch-n-go method.

if they could somehow make 'em all exit at once that would be much better.

btw. in blackhawk u can load up to 14 men but u can deploy only 8 ropes. so in any event its a 2 batches repelling.

Fast ropes would be cool, but so would those little helicopters that were in blackhawk down. that would be cool.

Ok, speed and maneuverablity wouln't really be that hindered except for when the men are actually sliding out.

And that would only like like a second. After that it can be on its way.

And plus, it is doing it stealthily, so it should not need to worry about dodging fire.

And often enough, many men use a rope at the same time.

So that should not be a problem. They will all basically hit the ground in one quick motion, and the chopper will then be out of there.

oh.. we talked about two different things:

i was talking about flying WHILe the men dangle out of the helo, and you about roping when the chopper is coming to a halt.

okay, i accept this but then no more then one man at a time per rope.

thats a good way to deploy, especially in forrested area, though from experience in real life and OFP, touch and go takes about 2 secs, it depends on the skill of the pilot.

but yes, u can fast rope while stationary.

mind you,. only the black hawk and the huey are fir for this kind of action

BTW. stealth isnt so much a question of insertion but the skill and method of operation done by the chopper.

if it flies NOE, u can park the damn thing without being notice.

Roping down from a chopper is only used when troops are being inserted to a heavily forested area, or an area that offers no safe landing zone. Believe me, if you can hover the chopper 10 meters off the ground you might as decend to 2 meters off the ground and let the guys jump out.

Besides chopper is very loud, even when at low altitude, and exerts infrared signature. The very purpose of special ops is to conduct their mission in a covert manner.

If anything a boat will deploy inflatable boat and the ops will sail to the shore. In land scenarios they will be driven as far as it is considered to be safe and then they proceed on foot.

If Flashpoint had vast forested areas then the idea of ropes would be great, but with the scenery on these islands being the way it is now, there is just no point in it.