Sign in to follow this  
galzohar

Public PvP Gaming Nights on Zeus #2 Server

Public PvP Gaming Nights on Zeus #2 Server

Wednesdays and Saturdays, starting 19:00 GMT

Note: Time may change based on attendance.

Games will continue until less than 6 players are on the server.

See also: Thread on PR forums, Zeus gaming nights

Combined Ops (ArmA2 + OA)

ACE Stable release (currently 1.8)

Teamspeak 3

Working BattleEye

No addons aside from those included in ACE and zcommon

Zeus currently has an optional standalone clientside addon pack which includes Shactac HUD and other very useful addons.

The Zeus Community Manual has tutorials explaining how to set up everything you need to play with us. This includes

• Teamspeak 3
  • TS3 Channel commander and whisper functionality
  • Yoma's addon Sync for zcommon (and for ACE stable 1.8)

If you want to use the clientside addon pack, you can only get it via the Zeus Yoma repository which is an exceptionally easy tool to install and use.

NB>> This initial post will be kept up to date, any changes to the scheduling or player requirements will be edited here

WHAT TO EXPECT:

• PvP missions of various types, until I can see which types are preferred by the players that are attending, and those missions will be played more and possibly more missions of this type will be made. Initially most missions will be A&D with some C&H mixed in, and no AI. In the future I will keep myself open minded to suggestions from those who actually show up consistently, so this is subject to change.
  • Every Mission has a voluntary commander who is responsible for the organization and tasking within the mission. Newcomers are welcome to take this role if they wish. Commander obviously must be able to communicate clearly on TS3.
  • Preferential treatment for critical roles is given to those that can communicate with the mission commander via teamspeak, if those are available in the mission. Though, at least initially, missions probably will not have many (if any) of those.
  • Some missions that will be played:
  • Dynamic Cache Hunt
  • Bunkers
  • Possibly some no-respawn A&D missions.
  • More in the future, based on feedback provided by those who attend.

WHAT NOT TO EXPECT

• Domination, Evolution, Warfare, AAS, Berzerk or the other "Mass Played" Missions
  • Intentional Teamkilling
  • Stupidity
  • Cheating

WHAT YOU WILL NEED

• Latest ACE stable release - currently 1.8, available on both Armaholic and the Zeus YAS server.
  • An optional client side addon pack called @zcommon (Tutorials on how to download and set this up with Yoma's addon sync 2009 are included in the Zeus manual)
  • Teamspeak installed (preferably with a working Microphone)
  • A Mature outlook on gaming and ability to order or follow orders from group leaders
  • Operation Arrowhead or Combined ops installed and patched to latest version stable release
  • A little bit of patience during the briefing stage of the mission while the CO's organize their forces and tasking
  • No additional addons aside from ACE stable release and zcommon. Server runs signature check and will automatically kick anyone who uses addons not signed. Some additional addons may or may not be approved in the future (currently it is too much work to keep monitoring and keeping keys up to date).

SUPPORT

• The Zeus "Manual" may help you to play with us.
  • It contains IP address's, download links and tutorials on how to set up various applications, like Teamspeak and Yoma's addon Sync, and also include a simple communications protocol, nothing heavy.
  • You can download it from:
  • http://zeus-community.net/important/zeusmanual.pdf
  • If you need live help, then jump on our Teamspeak 3 server ( teamspeak.zeus-community.net , and default port), where a member will be more than happy to help you
  • If you got kicked from the server: make sure you have all the required addons, don't have any addons aside from ACE stable 1.8 and zcommon, have battleeye working (for Windows Vista/7, run game as administrator and disable UAC), and of course that you haven't intentionally teamkilled anyone nor disobeyed your commander's orders.

Criteria for suggesting missions

• Will be updated in the future.

Big thanks for all the Zeus admins for making this possible!

Edited by galzohar

If anyone has any technical difficulties that he cannot figure out, I will be on teamspeak 1 hour early to help. The server will be up and running, make sure you have everything set up correctly by trying to join it (filter for "Zeus" and join the PvP server and check if you get automatically kicked and if not try to load up a mission with "ACE" in its name and see that it works).

Bloody ACE but even despite it I will be happy to play with you like in the old times:)

Day might change in hopes to increase attendance. Still waiting for some answers from some people, so keep an eye on this thread. Will most likely update Sunday evening about the actual times. Might actually do 2 days to see which one gets more players in.

Edited by galzohar

It'll be staying on Wednesday for now, and added Saturday as well, so we can see which day has better attendance. Please come to both if you can.

So do you have examples of what missions you'll be playing if you aren't going to play "AAS, Berzerk or the other "Mass Played" Missions"

See last 4 points in "what to expect". Also there's a new round-based no-respawn mission (similar to how Dynamic Cache Hunt) works which recently got played on a regular Zeus gaming night, where the objective is to find a VIP's dead body in the Zargabad villa, using stryker(s) and blackhawk for insertion, so if we have the player count we'll play that one as well. Basically the idea is to try and play missions that aren't based on "die, respawn, run back to combat, repeat", except maybe at the start for warmup or maybe after people get tired of the other missions.

Missions are already on the server so you should be able to log in there and take a look yourself, though they'll usually end the round immediately if you play by yourself since you'll have no enemies alive. All have been played already (though some have been slightly tweaked since the last time they were played, and were only played by a low player count), so they *shouldn't* have any major issues.

And of course in the future, based on what people like, new missions will be added/created.

Edited by galzohar

it's great finaly to find a full server full of people instead of ai

but it realy sux that i have to remove every single addon i got

even maps that realy complecates maters:)

It's really simple - Connect to Zeus YAS server, download ZACE (equivalent to ACE stable 1.8) and zcommon, and run those and only those folders. You don't have to actually delete the other mod folders, you just need to not run them when you launch the game in order to join the server. If you're having difficulties setting up your command line in the game's shortcut, use this Arma Launcher in order to launch any set of mods with ease.

If you placed mods in your Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\addons folder, then you'll have problems joining any PvP server, not just this one, so that's something you may want to consider fixing. Either locate those addons you placed in there and move them out into proper addon folders, or reinstall the game. Might be hard work, but when you'll be done you'll be happy you did it and can actually run a "clean" game and join servers that actually check signatures. Not checking for signatures can cause a lot of problems, including some major game-breaking cheats or even just bugs.

Edited by galzohar

On the server, trying to get some more players for a more interesting game to happen...

Well at around 20:00 GMT we actually had some players join in, was pretty awesome play IMO even though we only played 6vs6. Too bad nobody from here showed up though :(

Zcommon has quite a few small useful client-side addons in addition to Zeus AI. Obviously the Zeus AI part has no effect on missions with no AI.

Zcommon has quite a few small useful client-side addons in addition to Zeus AI. Obviously the Zeus AI part has no effect on missions with no AI.

Ah ok. Probably caused some confusion because I call my zeusAI folder zcommon.

I'll make an effort to join in next Wednesday, though it seems to me like you would lower the threshold for joining by eliminating the ACE2 requirement.

-k

Unfortunately eliminating the ACE2 requirement is not an option, not only because ACE is a huge improvement to gameplay and seems to stop all kinds of people that I don't want to deal with from joining the server, but mostly because currently the good PvP missions there are heavily ACE based in various ways and simply won't be any fun at all without ACE.

Getting ACE 1.8 running is really quite easy, if you actually try.

Anyway I'll be running another game on Saturday to see how many show up then.

ACE is easy enough to set up, but its still one additional hurdle/step that must be made to participate. If you view this as part of the screening process then the attendance records will reflect that. I think ACE2 does many things right, but I'm not sure which features its add that are so vital for most PvP scenarios

Either way. This Saturday I'll be busy, but I'm absolutely keen on getting some organised PvP battles going on next week! :)

-k

Next week I'll be on vacation. I'll see if anyone from Zeus would be willing to run this while I'm gone. I'll still be here Saturday though.

If you would have seen the missions you'd see why they are so dependent on ACE (some special equipment added, spectator script features, realistic rocket ballistics that don't allow sniping with an M136 from 500m), in addition to the huge realism enhancement ACE adds. It's not like there is a huge pool of available PvP missions that aren't based on die-respawn-run back ASAP-repeat for vanilla anyway - It's really only the missions I have made and possibly missions others might make in the future. In other words, the purpose of this isn't to have another server to play AAS, Berzerk or Warfare, but to actually give PvP lovers an alternative, just like regular Zeus gaming nights give people an alternative to domination/evolution/insurgency.

Edited by galzohar

Due to overall lack of interest, I will wait 1 additional week to see if any actual communities that can bring more than just 1-2 players show interest, and if not I'll have to just let this die :(

I'll be out of the country until next Sunday (20-Feb) so will only be able to check the status and update when I get back.

Won't be online until 8pm GMT due to work, however if it's not already underway I'll run the night.

Hi Galzohar. I've installed Addon Sync but having trouble finding your server. I don't have ACE installed so i figured using YAS would be the easiest route.

TS2 is installed.

Also i can't seem to make an Arma2 launcher work but i can always add mods to the commandline. If i understand correct i can only use mods that the server runs too right?

*found zeus #1* proceeding with Zeusmanual.pdf for now

Do i need both ACE1.08 full install and ZACE files as found in YAS on ZEUS#1?

zcommon is already 1gb and it seems ACE files are already in there correct?

Sorry i'm a bit confused and my HD is a bit full so less is better for me!

Edited by zeep

ZACE from the YAS server or just the ACE 1.8 from armaholic. They're the same.

zcommon in itself is now large because Zeus recently added new islands to it, but they're worth it! If you already have those islands, you can just copy them into the zcommon folder and YAS will notice you have them and not need to re-download them.

When I was still trying to run this I didn't require the new islands (still haven't made/ported any PvP missions to them) and said you could just uncheck all those large island-related files from the zcommon contents to save you the download (and in fact the islands are the only non-client-side addons so as long as those islands aren't played, zcommon is fully optional).

In any case, due to lack of community interest I sort of gave up, at least until some more people actually start showing interest again. Playing 4v4 at peak and even that only once and only after nagging people to show up is just not all that great.

Edited by galzohar