Sign in to follow this  
RobertJ

[Crossfire problem] ARMA 2 OA Texture LOD/Low FPS/Massive stutter

not sure whats going on with the 5970s, but my ati 4870s are fine, very nice IQ. and my friends 5870s look just as good. I have had the the lowrez issue a month or so ago with some combo of driver and patch, but its gone. So i say its a user issue created by ATIs drivers and Bis's recognizing ATI hardware. Wish i had a 5970 (may just go buy one, if i find one used under 400$) to find a solution for you guys. But a good way to start is 10.12a driver, delete your arma2oa.cfg, turn off CF, start game, check settings, HDR to 32/high. then go back and see what your arma2oa.cfg has. Turn CF back on, run game see the change?

Also make sure your CCC settings are on HQ and Application Preference. MipMap is high ect. run the beta 157.xxxxs

With the recent updates from MS(a lot of VC stuff) I had some horrible stutter, was a MS snd issue! had to turn off my ATI HD snd devices in the Device Manger....And redid my A2 cfg.

Hey guys. I have a similar problem. Have a 6870 ATI card and a Q9550 cpu. Previous card was a 4890. I upgraded about two months back now.

Was getting 50-60fps no problem. Then 1.56 came out and I noticed a drop in performance. With 1.57 there was a massive drop in performance. But the strange thing is that I still get 40-50 fps on Cherno. As soon as I start moving around the FPS chops and changes quite bad. Quite a bit of stuttering. It gets so bad in Chernogorsk and Electro that I drop well below 20fps.

LODS are very slow too.

I have not changed my Catalyst drivers since I upgraded to the 6870 a few months back. After the low performance I upgraded to the latest with no improvement.

I have had to drop my graphics settings right down to less than I had the 4890 at. And still it performs worse.

I'm having the same problem. They don't seem to be as bad as some of you guys are having, but still enough to be annoying. I don't have any LOD issues with just normal Arma 2, only OA. I've also noticed that certain mods seems to make it slightly worse; Blastcore for example tends to exacerbate the problem.

Specs:

Intel i7 980, 3.6ghz

Ati Radeon 5970, 2gb

12gb ddr3 ram

300gb hd, 10k rpm

Using Catalyst 10.4

Disable Hyperthreading

-cpuCount=8

Already had HT disabled, but the cpu count thing actually worked for me.. 6950 CF.. Absolutley no LOD problems :yay:

I changed the video memory setting from very high to default and that seems to have alleviated the problem somewhat.

^

I tried that before, but it didn't really fix anything.

Does A2 support CF by default (A2+AO and DLC's) by now? I've got like double FPS on Takistan but only like.. Well the same almost on Chernarus.

edit/ ops double :S

By the way, how come the game minimized having W7 tell me I'm low on memory when I'm clearly not?

Edited by Ish

Try last betas guys. It seems like last official patches do not recognize VRAM correctly and it cause slow LOD switching and bad performance at all. Last beta patch is just perfect (Build_77007)!

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

that's good news and I can confirm that. YES! LOD work now perfectly well and almost on every map. (just sometimes, mostly in the pmc campaign some trees and bushes in Zargabad refused to load some highres, but I can live with that.) :bounce3:

So, when will the 1.58 be out? Cause I'm fucking tired of not being able to play this game with my HD5970...

Edited by TOFIR

Yes, when?

Because right now, the only way I know to get around this is by setting vram to 0 in config and starting beta, but I have to run beta, can't go back to official. And beta is not supported on the online server I play, so there's no work around for that.

All I want at this point is a confirmation the vram detection is fixed, and I want to know what patch it will be included in, OFFICIAL PATCH, and when that patch will be released.

Edited by eosteric

tried the 1.59 RC ?

No, I see the fix is listed, but I don't need an RC as my servers don't run RC or beta. When will 1.59 non-rc be out?

Why is it such a big deal to give us an aprox. release date of the official, not RC, 1.59? Treat your customers with a little respect, we paid for your game. We're the only reason you're working as a game dev. If this was any other product than a game everyone would get their money back as it's not working as intended when released.

The state the game was in on release was awful, at least it's come a long way since then, but still, all this time after, there's such a LONG way to go. It's a game with lots of complex systems and calculation, but the visual side, especially something like detecting the correct amount of RAM should be extremely simple. How can you do something like that wrong, and take such a long time to correct it.

Edited by eosteric

How about YOU treat people with a bit of respect. Just because you don't get a reply within hours you're off throwing your toys out the pram. While the game was far from perfect on release, it was also far from awful - you only have to look further than your bigoted opinion:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/arma-ii

How many games do you know where the devs reply to users within a day or two?

Your comments suggest a deep ignorance of software development, as well as basic manners.

indeed, and if crossfire doesnt work it's much more likely only ati can fix it. Sli works fine so I doubt it's a fault in arma.

This isn't just about crossfire, I'm not a CF user. It's a VRAM detection issue affecting texture LODs. It happens with single cards as well as crossfire.

then why are you posting in a topic starting with [crossfire problem]

Because it's the same problem. Just a lot of CF users don't seem to understand that. But it's the exact same problem affecting both CF and non-CF users.

Why don't you post something useful instead of asking me why I'm posting what I'm posting.

It's really tiring having to explain myself to those who don't understand what's going on, I've explained the problem in multiple threads already, and it's a confirmed, acknowledged problem by the devs, I've found out. Now I'm just waiting for the fix, in an official patch.

Oh, and BTW: It's not affecting just ATI users either.

Edited by eosteric

I had some similar problems with an HD5870 but as I said in another thread, try using the default graphical settings without messing too much with the advanced ones. It did the trick for me. Example: manually putting everything to very high made textures look really bad, but once I chose Very High on the default Graphic quality everything was fine!