Sign in to follow this  
esco7800

what is the most Polys

what is the most Polygons I can have an a model for arma2?

i heard it was 20,000 per object, if larger you have to use proxies

I believe suma or Maruk commented on this somewhere, I'll have a loom for it.

]EDIT: Turns out it wasn't either of them, I always get my BI staff mixed up!

Anyway, earl's original post:

I think its the best answer.

32768 vertices is a hard limit in ArmA -- as directx counts them. O2's points count is not quite the same thing depending on the number of sharp edges you have. I guess it applies to ArmA2 as well. I think its the max size of the vertex buffer. You'll know when you get there since buldozer fails to draw the model.

The general rule seems to be 8k weapons, 10k characters, up to 20k vehicles. Although as long as you have very good LODs at distance then it doesn't really matter if you go over, the section count (number of textures) effect performence too.

Edited by STALKERGB

ive pushed up to 25k with a car before..didnt seem to affect my preformance

but like stalker said..those figures are a kinda unoffical rule :P

ive pushed up to 25k with a car before..didnt seem to affect my preformance

but like stalker said..those figures are a kinda unoffical rule :P

Yeah performance can be kept up with higher poly models like that, and as long as the LODs are lower poly/well organised then it isn't too much of an issue.

@esco7800, For example, if you had a model weapon at 20k polys in 1st person view and in the 1.000 LOD its only 6k polys then you are the only one seeing the high poly model so performance should stay high.

the 8K,10K,20K I believe is taken from numbers of polys in BIS models so the general understanding is that those numbers will be the best quality/efficiency in the engine.

Also it should be noted that using proxies is very limited. For example you can't place turret proxy on a tank and make it fully functioning. Proxies are only useful for static parts and rotor blades.

It's easy to make a mistake when trusting proxies too much. Imagine you make a helicopter model that is near the poly limit. Now you also want to make an armed version of it with fully animated door guns. But alas you cannot add them as proxies and you cannot cross the poly limit. So keep an eye on the "poly budget" and plan ahead.

Edited by Norsu

u can animate parts using proxies, u just have to have your proxies set up in a way where they are included within the named selections of your animated part. for example the ch47f in oa, the miniguns are proxies

Edited by rstratton

u can animate parts using proxies, u just have to have your proxies set up in a way where they are included within the named selections of your animated part. for example the ch47f in oa, the miniguns are proxies

interesting.

Would you be so kind mate and expand this info in another thread if you have some spare time

Interesting indeed. I've tried using proxies for fully animated parts like in CH47f but I never got them working.

@Norsu and Pufu, As an example IIRC I believe ACE had problems with this for their backpack system where the shoulder straps wouldn't sit properly on the model because the proxy could only be defined as one bone (such as "spine2").

In OA, this doesn't seem to be an issue, for my backpacks I have just defined the backpack and shoulder straps as what they would normally be (so spine 1,2,3,neck etc). The proxy on my soldier model is only defined as a proxy for backpacks, no extra definition such as "spine2". I then add the class to my model.cfg just as I would an infantry unit and in game it seems to be animated correctly :)

I guess its a similar process for the minigun

@Norsu and Pufu, As an example IIRC I believe ACE had problems with this for their backpack system where the shoulder straps wouldn't sit properly on the model because the proxy could only be defined as one bone (such as "spine2").

I know about that, yes, and the solving solution was not even using a proxy on the models (all BI models being binarized and all)

In OA, this doesn't seem to be an issue, for my backpacks I have just defined the backpack and shoulder straps as what they would normally be (so spine 1,2,3,neck etc). The proxy on my soldier model is only defined as a proxy for backpacks, no extra definition such as "spine2". I then add the class to my model.cfg just as I would an infantry unit and in game it seems to be animated correctly :)

I guess its a similar process for the minigun

Maybe, i need to do some testing on it. It would indeed be cool to have proxies instead of duplicating model for using animated weapons for instance. AFAIK, that wasn't possible until A2OA

Maybe, i need to do some testing on it. It would indeed be cool to have proxies instead of duplicating model for using animated weapons for instance. AFAIK, that wasn't possible until A2OA

Yeah i think its something that has been added for OA, certainly something that needs to be looked into, would be very useful if you could use proxys for all weapon positions in vehicles etc.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jkhpdk heres an example of the minigun proxies set up on the ch47 f. its not 100% perfect but it does show how its done

---------- Post added at 05:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 AM ----------

It's easy to make a mistake when trusting proxies too much. Imagine you make a helicopter model that is near the poly limit. Now you also want to make an armed version of it with fully animated door guns. But alas you cannot add them as proxies and you cannot cross the poly limit. So keep an eye on the "poly budget" and plan ahead.

id just proxy most of the non animated parts, like most of the body. like i did with my ka50