Sign in to follow this  
KingBeast

What  good books have you read, or

Okay im bored so why dont you all tell me some good books that you have read, or are reading or have just finished etc. Maybe your favourites too.

If possible list the author and a short description of what the book is about and why you liked it.

Fast Movers: Jet Pilots and the Vietnam Experience by John Darrell Sherwood. It's bout various air units in the Vietnam war, base both in Thailand, South Vietnam and out in the Gulf of Tonkin. I'm half way done and now they're talking about US POWs in the "Hanoi Hilton" and the struggles they had.

-=Die Alive=-

Anything by H.P. Lovecraft

Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

A Song Of Ice And Fire by George R.R. Martin

Recently finished:

Band of brothers by Stephen Ambrose

( I think everyone knows what this oens about. Was a good book)

Lair by James Herbert

This is a horror, about giant (about the size of a dog) black rats that eat people. It was pretty gruesome and didnt take long to read, but it was pretty good.

Currently reading:

Pegasus Bridge by Stephen Ambrose

This is about the small detachment of British airborne troops that stormed the German Defence forces and paved the way for D-Day. Basically the first engagement of D-Day.

Third of the way through, im yet to get to the juicy stuff though.

Couple of faves

CQB by Mike Curtis

About a Welsh man that joined the British para regiment, and from there went on to join the SAS. He failed selection the first time because he cracked during interrogation (The interrogators were making fun of his welsh heritage, and the welshmen that were killed in the Falklands)

But in the end he turned out to be the first person or maybe it was only person in history to go through the entire selection process twice.

The book concentrates on his service in the Falklands, Kosovo and the Gulf war.

Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R Tolkien

Nuff said biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ April 24 2002,15:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R Tolkien

Nuff said  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Tolkien`s The little hobbit and his Silmarillion are great, too. Even if the Silmarillion is as easy to read as the bible in the beginning wink.giftounge.gif

There are so many good books I've read. But here are a few of them. I'll add something to my list later if something pops to my mind.

The Dune saga by Frank Herbert

I just love the atmosphere of the story. This is perhaps the best sci-fi I've ever read.

Hithchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams

The weird sense of humour in these books is something you just can't miss.

Slaughter-House Five and Deadeye Dick by Kurt Vonnegut

The story telling is great in these books.

Ah Paladin I have read the Silmarillion and I have to admit it was a tough read indeed.

So much going on, and so many different names and things to remember while you are reading the book. It got confusing biggrin.gif

The Dark Tower series - by Stephen King. Daaaamn long but Daaaamn good!! It's a whole series of books, and the plot is great, so I couldn't do it justice by writting a short summary (as well, I've only gotten to book 3, I believe there's a book 4 and beyond).

The Talisman - Co-written by Stephen King and some other dude, I forget, sorry. Would you believe I don't really remember what it was about? Read it like 4 years ago, but I remember that I loved it. Maybe I'll pick it up again.

Catch-22 - By Joseph Heller. A very good satirical war book. Written about a B-17 bombardier in WWII.

Fulcrum - By Alexander Zuyev. An ex-soviet pilot's account of life in the soviet air-force and of his defection to Turkey in a MiG-29 in the late 80's.

Ah yes forgot to mention my all time favourites.

Those would be the Aliens books (based on the Aliens from the films Alien, Aliens etc)

And also the Aliens vs Predator books.

Aliens: Earth Hive

Aliens: Nightmare Asylum

Aliens: Genocide

Aliens: The Female War

Aliens vs Predator: Prey

Oh and anther great book I read was:

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

Oh and before I forget, the Red Dwarf books:

Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf: Better than life

There are more that i have read but ive forgotten the names. If anyone knows them, I would be grateful if you could tell me smile.gif

Oh and also Stephen Kings The Running Man is nice smile.gif

I'm reading on the moment the

logo.gif

I never read any book. It takes up too much time which i'd rather spent with something less dull....

Books are far from dull Mr.Knootewoot.

A good book is many times more entertaining than a movie. And the best examples of this are movies based on books. These movies often dont even encapsulate a small fraction of the excitment/action/storyline you can find in the book.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gorgi Knootewoot @ April 24 2002,16:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm reading on the moment the

logo.gif

I never read any book. It takes up too much time which i'd rather spent with something less dull....<span id='postcolor'>

tounge.gif  There speaks the bodybuilder  tounge.gif  tounge.gif

Im reading this book started by Longinius right now, and I'm on page 34 of it (it keeps getting longer by the day, so I'm not sure if I will ever finish it).  It's kinda pointless, if you asked me (nobody asked me, so I'm just saying it.)

-=Die Alive=-

i tried reading a book once. I fell almost asleep when reading the introduction. Then i got to page two and got a serious itch on my ass. Even when the book is good, i always look around what i could do. Then i go eat, because it's much more fun then reading. Reading sucks. It takes about a few weeks to read LotR. When seeing the movies, i should be done in 6 hours for all three of them.

And,....oooooh yes the books have more detail and those shit. Well, i shouldn't know as i haven't read them. So the movie is good enough for me.

I would suggest the following:

Stephen Donaldson - The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant; The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant; The Gap Series

Steven King - The Stand

Graham Masterton - The Devils of D-Day; Night Warriors; Night Plague; Death Dream

Shaun Hutson - Assassin; Renegades; Death Day; Relics

Books are great things.

Let your imagination run wild and they are very enjoyable to read.

The only problem is...I often find movies based on books I've read to be dissappointing as they never seem to live up to my expectations.

morbid i totally identify with that. After watching a book converted movie i usually wonder "well why did they change that" or "hey they are missing the good bits!"

A Brief History Of Time - Stephen Hawking

In Search Of Schrodinger's Cat - John Gribbin

Catcher In The Rye - J.D. Salinger

I'm currently reading the first pages of Hitler's Mein Kampf.

A brief history of time was a hard read, I guess you ned to put your scientific head on when you readi it. I dont own a scientific head biggrin.gif

I would like to read Mein Kampf, just to see whats in there. But i certainly wouldnt want to order it/get it out from the library/have it on my bookshelf

The Woman of Whitechapel and Jack the Ripper by Paul West. He did a lot or research adn wrote this fictionalized account of the murders.

Ploesti: Black Sunday forgot by who. Large book with pics and first hand accounts.

Ploesti: The Greatest Air/Land Battle again forgot by who. Another Ploesti book.

What I'm reading right NOW

I hope you are kidding Knotewoot, or else I pity you for denying yourself one of the most gratifying experiences that exists. It seems about as absurd to never read a book, as to never listen to music.

I second Vonnegut, Herbert, Adams and Tolkien, and add Bradbury, Auster, Steinbeck, Easton-Ellis, Barker,  etc. etc. etc. etc.

Nobody will come close to reading all the great books out there.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ April 24 2002,12:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would like to read Mein Kampf, just to see whats in there. But i certainly wouldnt want to order it/get it out from the library/have it on my bookshelf<span id='postcolor'>

I passed by a university library once a few years ago and they had a display of WW11 books, military, political, and on one part of the display, they had the Diary of Anne Frank next to Mein kampf. There was almost a riot from the Jewish students when they saw that, and they demanded that the book (Mein Kampf) be removed from the library and burned. Basically, the library's position was that they don't censor knowledge, so they placed a guard to stand over the display for the durration of the display.

-=Die Alive=-