Sign in to follow this  
Aculaud

Can someone please explain this to me?

Why is everyone so hell bent on getting a UH-1 Huey? Yeah, i know its the most widely used chopper in the military, but the UH-60 does the same job. Does it have different weapon loadouts? can it hold more people? Having a better engine shouldnt help, considering the fact that unless you get hit, theres no such thing as engine failure in OFP. Whats the big deal?

i don't know but i'm one of those people who would like to see it but no big loss if not. it just looks cooler than the blackhawk to me which gives too much of a "major operation" feeling every time i use it. in Vietnam the transport versions were equipped with a M-60 or minigun in the door, and i believe the gunship versions would carry rockets or gun pods.

it might be a nice chopper for resistance.

one word: NOSTALGY!

its the warfilm chopper. ppl grew on it. its like fullfiling your fantasy when you were 10 and watch first time "Epocalipse" and wish you were there

no? biggrin.gif

Well I think the main reason is that it looks so "cool" (not so cool IMO tounge.gif) and of course all movies and Vietnam things.

It would look nice falling from the sky with a black trail behind it after being shot at by VC.

I assume by "the military" you mean the american military ?

I have the luck to see Hueys nearly every day. I live in Germany not far from a military hospital. They fly as search and rescue helicopters. smile.gif

Ok, youve all given a much better reason than "Just because". Except of course for Epyons little episode there "the uh-1 is all mighty!".

I guess it's pretty much the fact that the Huey is a major symbol of Viet-Nam, just like the Hind is of Afghanistan. I agree that it's a pretty nifty looking chopper, but for practical uses the BlackHawk is better. And it was found to be too underpowered to be an effective gunship, that's why the Cobra was derived from it.

I want them to fix the loadout problems with the Blackhawk first. The US Military DOES NOT arm Blackhawks with one .50 cal machine gun. It either is armed with dual M60s or one (sometimes even 2) Miniguns. One .50 cal just doesnt cut it. the round isnt as powerful as it should be, and the cyclic rate is too low to do much good.

A Huey would be great, cause Im a dedicated rotor head, and as far as Im concerned, the more helicopters, the better  biggrin.gif

You know what I think would be cool? To incorporate those choppers from the Korean war that the U.S. used to transport wounded.

If you watch M.A.S.H. you know what I am taking about.

They just look so different. Anyone know what they are called?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It would look nice falling from the sky with a black trail behind it after being shot at by VC.

<span id='postcolor'>

Not funny comrade.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ April 22 2002,19:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I want them to fix the loadout problems with the Blackhawk first. The US Military DOES NOT arm Blackhawks with one .50 cal machine gun. It either is armed with  dual M60s or one (sometimes even 2) Miniguns. One .50 cal just doesnt cut it. the round isnt as powerful as it should be, and the cyclic rate is too low to do much good.<span id='postcolor'>

I'll agree with this. I was kinda disapointed when i didnt see something like this on the Black-Hawk. The .50 cal is nearly worthless. The chopper flys fast, the gun fires slow. The only way you're going to get anything done with it is if you're the gunner, which i never want to be.

I've wondered too.

I think the Black Hawk is about 1000% cooler and more streamlined than the Huey.

The Huey is a milk delivery van with rotor biggrin.gif

I agree about the .50 on the Black Hawk, though. The few times I dared being a side gunner, I lived about 5 seconds. It needs a minigun.

But generally I think OFP's loadout of US choppers is maxed out. I'd rather see something else - like SEAL rafts or something that can expand gameplay options, instead of yet-another-US-chopper-yawn.

Word on that, Gimbal. We do already have enough choppers. We do need more (christ, when dont we?), just not more of the same.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ April 23 2002,04:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It would look nice falling from the sky with a black trail behind it after being shot at by VC.

<span id='postcolor'>

Not funny comrade.<span id='postcolor'>

Who said it was suppost to be funny? Its possible to happen with all the right addons for a Vietnam mission.

The Blackhawk and if added the Huey make for good targets. Especially with this SAM BMP addon. Or even an RPG.

I think the Huey would present a unique challenge for flight. It has a large front and side profile, and therefore is an AA magnet, and because it is a generally slower bird than the Blackhawk, I think things could get a little exciting over a hot LZ.

Remember in the first OFP demo, when the 'Hawk mg had what looked like a .50 cal, but acted like a minigun? bring back something akin to that.

I would love as many new vehicles as BIS is willing to release. I think if the mod communbity springs to life with release of tools, I think the absolute best case scenario would be that I could have the entire US and Soviet arsenals at my disposal. A little excessive? Maybe ( biggrin.gif ). But it would just be damn cool if you could have something approaching that.