Sign in to follow this  
-)rStrangelove

ArmA2OA - still best to use a RAMDISK ?

Hey guys,

working through the huge mass of 'arma2 on ramdisk' thread(s) i'm planning to try this myself, but since now ArmA2 and OA get additional optimizations a question occurs:

does using a ramdisk still give better results that are noticable?

I don't really have anything constructive to say, but upgrading my CPU and RAM gave me all the difference in the world. Maybe you're running a server or something so you need it... I don't know. What I'm saying is I get 100% smooth FPS at max settings with tons of stuff going on, so I don't think RAMDISK is necessary, nor is the pricetag for the 16GB requirement.

I've got:

MSI 870A-G54 Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.8 GHz

Gskill 4GB with the fastest DDR3 bandwidth available running in dual channel

XFX Black Edition GTX 260 C216 overclocked to crazy levels running at 1680x1050

Want any more information?

Buy an SSD, that made alot of difference for me.

With your 4GB of memory you can't make a ramdisk big enough to hold all the game files..

I was wondering this too - I have a bit more RAM than the OP (8Gb total, with 5Gb in a RAMDisk under XP32) plus a pair of Gigabyte iRAMs and USB sticks. In Arma2 I tried a few setups including a (now dead and RMA'd) SSD, and from reading the various threads it is really a case of trying different things as people's setups and even playing preferences and game types are so varied.

Needs some of the more technical experts to do their thing !

Having used a RAMdisk for A2 I would state that from the 1.7 patch I don't really see it as necessary.

Currently OA isn't up to 1.7 but performance is still decent without resorting to a RAMdisk, in my own case anyway.

A RAMdisk will however still give the maximum capable performance for the game engines streaming nature.

Like as cjph states though, best giving all the options a whirl and see what works best for you.

RAMDisk is not necessary. (anymore) You won't have big HDD swaps even in Chernogorsk with latest patches.

Best option is a SSD, or if you won't go for that option - install Arma2 on a HDD separate from the OS & have system managed paging file on the same HDD as the OS.