Sign in to follow this  
Joseph Archer

Crossfire/SLI or dual GPU Card Arrowhead Issue (4870x2, 5970 etc).

Might sound weird but I found this fix way back when A2 first came out... You should have two HD Audio devices.

Goto Device manager > Sound, Video and game controllers and disable any ATI High Definition Audio Device listed there (Assuming you're not using HDMI audio output).

Since A2 this has prevented some level of stutter... worth a shot if you see them enabled :).

I'm not using ATI's Audio output as I know it steals cycles from the GPU. I did however find a default "High Defintion Audio Device" enabled despite having disabled everything onboard. It actually gave me a boost of about 4-5FPS on the benchmark and made Zargabad stutter less - So was definitely a great suggestion mate.

Still some way to go though ...

Hi,I have a gtx295 water cooled video card and the arma 2 reg. runs very smooth.I just bought arrowhead and the game runs very studdery like my harddrive disk is stop/ starting every 5 secs very fast.Even with everything set at low same issue.I guess dual gpu's doesnt work for this game at the moment.

Got my crossfire working, no significant performance increasement: It goes faster in-game, but the loading of the textures etc takes longer. Everything has to be loaded twice so on my ATI 2 x 512MB 3870 there's only 512MB available with xfire. Using only one core uses the full 1GB I guess. 1GB VRAM/GPU seems to be a minimum spec.

3870 X2 1GB

Finally got Arrowhead to play nice with crossfire by heeding those in this thread, I uninstalled 10.6, ran driver sweeper in safe mode and installed 10.4, then I renamed the beta .exe to Arma2. Now I get serious performance, 70-80% cpu usage and both gpu cores being used. Both 10.5 and 10.6 break Arma2 performance and caused me nothing but grief, couldn't play any game with the second of my two screens enabled, Arma2 wouldn't recover from alt+tab, lots of issues.

I can't understand it anymore lol...

My game benchmarks higher in crossfire, but the mission (pathfinding) lag like hell. When I disable crossfire it benches a lower but my campaign runs smoothly... :confused:

I can't understand it anymore lol...

My game benchmarks higher in crossfire, but the mission (pathfinding) lag like hell. When I disable crossfire it benches a lower but my campaign runs smoothly... :confused:

Your cpu could be bottleknecking, during missions it has lots of other stuff to do

Checked my CPU and it was much more loaded on crossfire.

- I uninstalled my drivers 10.6:

CPU loaded normal

single Benchmark: lower FPS

xfire Benchmark: much lower FPS

single In-game: Same FPS

Xfire In-game: Slightly higher FPS

- After installing 10.4:

xfire Benchmark: same total avg FPS but without framedrops in the beginning of a scene while loading the textures etc... much more steady FPS.

xfire In-game: Higher FPS

http://instantsfun.es/hallelujahshort

Edited by osorkon

I'm not using ATI's Audio output as I know it steals cycles from the GPU. I did however find a default "High Defintion Audio Device" enabled despite having disabled everything onboard. It actually gave me a boost of about 4-5FPS on the benchmark and made Zargabad stutter less - So was definitely a great suggestion mate.

Still some way to go though ...

Had the opposite effect for me! :confused:

my system has an i7 pro with an ati 5970 (2gb dual gpu)

arma 2 after recent offical patch now runs a dream

to my surprise OA runs very badly ( just like arma 2 when it was released)

I've decided to not play it untill proper patches come out to address the

problems -as i refuse to spend time constantly fiddling around with it

will use arma 2 now that runs well ( & now has crossfire support etc )

( did try to renam OA,exe with arma2.exe etc -it did use crossfire but with no performance increase so wast of time for me )-: )

I'm fairly sure OA will be sorted as arma2 was -the sooner the better as I've already paid for it !

Just tested new crossfire application profiles and there is NO crossfire support for arma2oa

Just tested new crossfire application profiles and there is NO crossfire support for arma2oa

Back to renaming it to Arma2.exe then so :mad:

10.7 is released. Did anyone test it already?

yep ......................... no dice still only hits 1 gpu :-(

With app profiles? I couldn't test it yet due to system crash. Thanks ati...

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Just tested, didn't work; even with profiles. Still only one GPU is in use. That's disappointing... :mad:

Is anyone poking ATI/AMD to add support for OA? They need to hear voices about this.

So far there is NO solution to operation arrowhead NOT using crossfire. I'm using afterburner and can safely say that renaming does NOT work, all the other mipmap tweaks or patches DO NOT enable crossfire (I check GPU utilisation with afterburner).

Everything I've read as a possible solution simply doesn't work -ie. people saying crossfire works but no performance increase-clearly xfire wasn't working then.

If anyone can suggest Anything that does enable crossfire please post it.

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

These are the people to annoy until they support one of the few games that really needs top end hardware-please follow the link below and we'll get crossfire support sooner

http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3

Edited by Jacky60

Reinstalled windows recently due to a seperate OS issue. However on reinstalling OA with 10.6 ATi drivers it is working fine with the original arma2OA.exe file. (With a dual GPU card). I have post processing off but otherwised maxed out video options.

I had installed the 1.52 update patch to a sprocket version of OA also. Looking forward to the next patch that incoporates the 64bit support from the arma2 1.07 patch.

Edited by o0Jedi0o

Hm, i probably get a 470GTX by next week. That solves the problem for me but it's still annoying that they don't support dual GPUs properly...

Hm, i probably get a 470GTX by next week. That solves the problem for me but it's still annoying that they don't support dual GPUs properly...

SLI seems to work fine. I guess you're referring to Crossfire?

Crossfire works fine for me, I only get the lowFPS/stutter, if i use Edge-detect and AFx16 in the CCC. If i set it to "Box" and Use applacation settings for AF (AA is already, but you can change form Box to Edge, looks nicer) game runs along fine. Of course i have to use arma2.exe rename of the arma2OA.exe till ATI issues a profile for OA. No problems.

current set up

1600/1200 100hz

default Memory

AA high

AF VH

PP VL

the rest are at highest.

HDR 32

Shaders Veryhigh

Typical VD is 2000-5000 ( when i can adjust it in game)

2X 4870X2s/ 3.2quad/ 6GB RAM /SSD game drive