Sign in to follow this  
Longbow116

estimate range

Hello,

i would like to know how i can find out range between me in the field

and an object i see im my binocular?

yesterday i played as noob mp and somebody asks me for range to the village in front of us.., and i dont guess...

best regards

Longbow

Hi and welcome to the forums,

One of the easiest (although not realistic) ways to do it is open a map and put a personal waypoint on the object (Shift+left click). You'll be able to see the distance to the waypoint in the first person perspective.

PS: Questions about the game should be placed in this thread instead of creating a new one.

Hi,

i just tryed it out and it works... :)

i'am also very interested in the realistic way of ranging...or can i obtain any tutorials?

best regards

Longbow

Just use the command key (space bar), it's like a laser range finder, Identify-friend-or-foe ping, and Automated unit/vehicle type recognition all under one button.

Hi,

i just tryed it out and it works... :)

i'am also very interested in the realistic way of ranging...or can i obtain any tutorials?

best regards

Longbow

The realistic way they teach in armies is done with Binoculars that have reticle marks and a litllte knowlege about height and width of usual encountred object...like cars, men standing, Tanks, House features like doors or stories etc. You simply calculate the range by multiplying the width or height in meters with 1000 and divide this with the number of reticle marks it fills in you Binoculars.

This does not work in ArmA because the Binos have no such reticles.

Alternatively you can use the Reticles of Scopes...some do work.

The realistic way they teach in armies is done with Binoculars that have reticle marks and a litllte knowlege about height and width of usual encountred object...like cars, men standing, Tanks, House features like doors or stories etc. You simply calculate the range by multiplying the width or height in meters with 1000 and divide this with the number of reticle marks it fills in you Binoculars.

This does not work in ArmA because the Binos have no such reticles.

Alternatively you can use the Reticles of Scopes...some do work.

That is correct. I believe you can use ACE to do accurate range estimation with mildots

Another method is using your map and your compass to figure out where you are and where a known landmark is (a certain hill, a church steeple, a crossroads) and figuring out the distance to that. You can then relate the distance of the object to that known object and triangulate the distance (actually doing the math isnt need really you can usually eyeball it and be pretty close).

Remember that every grid square at the closest zoom is 100x100 meters, further out it is 1000x1000 meters. That should help you. :)

If you have ACE try and use the Map Tools as it has a ruler that is accurate to the map scale and can easily measure distances. :)

Also measuring lateral distance is easy with ACE as well. It has a 6400 mil compass and you can apply the easy math of 1 mil left/right at 1000 meters distance subtends an arc 1 meter.

So if you look at something known (like a churche steeple) and you know it is 1200 meters away and the target or object you want to find the lateral distance to is say 200 mils to the right you'd do the following.

(1200/1000)*200

Or (knownDistance/1000)*milsLeftOrRight...

So the target would be 240 meters to the right of the church steeple (roughly, remember its traversing an arc in that calculation).

Hope this helps. Its fairly basic part of forward observation.

(1200/1000)*200

Or (knownDistance/1000)*milsLeftOrRight...

Nice. Obvious now that I look at it, but I never considered it before.

Forget laser rangefinders and gps's etc.. For real I teach my guys the basic methods that never fail, and remember you don't always have the technology available.

First off is the map, you should always know where you are at all times, that, in conjunction with a compass to get a direction to a known point. Then, measure the distance on the map.. as already mentioned, the smaller squares are a hundred metres so its easy to estimate using your map.

The harder way of course is to use your Mk1 eyeball and get used to establishing a 1000metre line visualy, and then you can count plus or minus from that to guess your range.

Quite difficult in game as I don't think you have the same depth of view on the screen as you do in real life.

Certainly from a gaming point of view, the quickest and easist method is a rapid map appreciation.. :)