Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

DVD drive opens and closes, why? Help/Info

My PC have 1 CD Rom drive and 1 DVD RW drive:

Recently I have a problem with my DVD RW drive.. It opens and closes with no intention from me.

In device settings windows say its running fine and the driver is up to date and do not install other.

It started to have this problem few months ago when i had win7 X86 installed and I thought it could be from that reason, from having win7, but recently I formated drive C and installed winXP X32 again, but the problem started again today. I do not want to unplug the supply source of the drive i just want to find a way to fix this strange bug/issue. I really don't know what is causing this strange behavior.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Why my DVD RW drive opens and closes all the time with out my command?

Can someone give me a working solution to this undesired problem?

Thank you in advance.

Hmm , very weird

Can you try uninstall the DVD drive and restart it and install it again or try unplug your DVD and try pluging with other same cable in

I know a friend of mine installed a virus on our school computers that made this happen constantly years back. Hate to suggest the obvious but have you tried a virus scan?

Nah, the drive is just hungry. Give it a game or a movie to chew on. I recommend any BIS title as that normally shuts them up for a couple of years. :)

Or use it as a coffee holder, just make sure you use a strong cup in case the drive decides that it wants a sip.

Maybe something is 'pinching' the drawer and thus make it open on it's own... but since the drawer 'status' supposed to close, so it closes itself...

in other words, something is stuck that the drawer wont close properly... just my 2cents

I've seen this happen with more than one CD/DVD drive... Optical drives tend to be one of the most failure prone pieces of hardware around, and given how relatively cheap they are to replace, I'd just toss the one you have and get another one.

Virus, no.

I doubt theres something stuck that doesn't let it close. If its open it will close eventually by it self.

I more and more thing the DVD drive had its moment of life.. i think the end is coming soon.

These peace of equipment are the worst part of the PC equipment since the Flintstones :(

Thank you all for the replies.

My drive is doing the same thing, has been for a while now. I'm going to try taking it out and then putting it back in and see if that helps. Perhaps a cord is loose or something. If not, then I shall just chuck it out and buy a new one.

Searching the net i could see this problem is affecting a lot of people around the world.

This might be the worst peace or hardware a computer must have.

Can it be dust inside the drive that are making our drives to open by then selves?

Well, I took out the drive, cleaned it, put it back in and made sure that all the cables were secure in there, and it still doesn't stop opening and closing. So, it's toast. Gotta find a new one! :butbut:

Does the problem only occur when you are booted into Windows? Perhaps you could try just hanging around in the BIOS screen for a while. If the problem no longer occurs there, it's probably a Windows problem. If it persists, the problem will most likely be hardware related. :)

That was the first thing I tired. :p

The issue persisted, sadly.

I've seen this happen independently of what OS is running on the machine, so it seems to be some problem that affects certain optical drives, possibly at the firmware level.

Edited by echo1

Lots of moving parts inside these drives. If you obstruct the thing it has a mechanism to open back up again so that the motors dont wear out and you can clear the obstruction. There could be a problem with small internal parts related to this feature. Plastic gears can get worn out and little rubber pulleys can lose their tension and now your device is out of calibration. The drive is fully closed as is plain to see but it somehow thinks its stuck or not closed so it opens again. Or the sensor that waits for the button to be pressed could be having an issue and "flapping". The drive door would stop back and forth mid stream in that case though. Its likely need to be replaced. Otherwise some joker is getting to your drive through the network and opening/closing the drive remotely or a problem in your OS maybe. You could install it on another computer running another version or same of windows to test but replacement drive should be relatively cheap. Ive got to replace mine because it doesnt read disks very well anymore. Its 10 years old and I have spares anyway. Its alot worse when your hard drive goes or something else so at least its relatively easy to fix.