Sign in to follow this  
luker27

Opf on xbox

My favourite will be hearing, whilst playing XBox OFP multiplayer over the internet, shouts of "Owned" by thirteen year olds everytime I'm killed, even if I'm on their team.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ April 19 2002,06:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Johnny Quaker:

"I was only hit one time with this rocket launcher, why the FUCK am I dead? And why can I only save one time?? This game is shit, I`ll better continue playing Tekken X!"<span id='postcolor'>

Where is my body armour?  What's this, I have to reload my weapon every 30 shots?  How come when I fire lots of bullets, none of them hit the target?

I don't really care if OFP is out on xbox, as long as there is a separate forum for those who have the xbox version from this forum.  I could just see it now, the number one most frequently asked question: How can I aim the SCUD? (H.C.I.A.T.S)

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ April 19 2002,14:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't really care if OFP is out on xbox, as long as there is a separate forum for those who have the xbox version from this forum<span id='postcolor'>

I hope so, too...

The thing is, I already have an Xbox (and a PS2), but they don't get used that much.  I'm so used to the mouse/keyboard combo (it's the perfect gaming interface... so far), and the ability to chat at will, and the ability to mod my games for unlimited replay value, that consoles don't have a lot to offer.  I only buy console games that aren't going to be on the PC for awhile (if ever), such as Halo and GTA3.  

While the Xbox hardware is fantastic (as anyone who's played Halo can tell you), the joystick blows, and I think it will be frustrating trying to play a game like OFP with it.  I mean, when I'm playing on my PC, sometimes I need pixel-perfect accuracy, meaning I literally have to move the cursor just one pixel over to hit that enemy soldier 300 meters away.  getting that kind of consistent accuracy with a joystick is a pain in the ass, and in a game like OFP you don't have ten minutes to try to line up your target - you get about 3 or 4 seconds before the enemy really gets a bead on you.  

"Meh" is about all I can say.  I'm sure the game will look pretty (or as pretty as 640x480 can be anyway) and run smoothly, but the gameplay will not even come close to the PC version.

OFP in the Xbox?... what a joke...what will be next? Flight Simulator....... confused.gif

Im tired of this stripped versions of games ported to the console. They lost 75% of their content and complexity just to satisfy the hunger for money of a publisher (CODEMASTERS).

OFP will never be as closed as real in the xbox as it is in the PC. It will become a "great grafics medium fun action game" set in the 1985 (not the best choice for a console gamer). I personally doub that it makes a success in the console world. A world where the average age of gamers is 13 years.

Also the bugs history of it don't make it a great candidate for porting without ripping off the things that cause most of the bugs in OFP but also expand the live of this great game(multiplayer, user addons, user missions, etc. ).

OFP is meant to be run in a PC....Mario is the same for consoles.... keep it that way.

The X-box can HDTV which is 1080i so it's as good as running on a monitor at 1025x786.

Now what is everyone's problem with consoles? I think that they are great if a develpoer like codemasters can make a game and make a ton of cash off of it. PC's aren't going anywhere and the only thing they can do is benifit off of the consoles.

COLINMAN

can someone who has knowledge please explain if those specs are any good ?

xbox Key Performance Measures:

6.4GB/sec Memory Bandwidth

150 million micropolygons/particles per second

150 million transformed and lit polygons per second

100 million polygons per second sustained performance (shading, texturing)

Pixel Fill Rate 4.0 GB/sec

4 simultaneous textures

Compressed textures available at 6:1 compression

Full-scene anti-aliasing

DVD movie playback * see above

1920x1080 maximum resolution

Maximum resolution (2 x 32bpp frame buffers + Z) 1920 x 1080

HDTV support (games and movie playback)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (second_draw @ April 19 2002,20:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Consoles are substuties for the "real" thing imo<span id='postcolor'>

No they are for people that just like to play games. I love tweaking my computer, it's a hobby. I can't afford a car right now so this is the only baby that I have. Others don't want it. They want to have a machine that they plug in and it works. That's a console. Most people would go crazy with drivers, configs, tweaking, components not working together, etc. Just look at the technical support forum here. Do consoles have the same forums online? I don't think so.

In the past a console couldn't hold a candle to a pc for power, but look at the xbox and the production quality of the games that are coming out for it. They are amazing, expecailly for the hardware. I'm still waiting for a game company to take advantage of all the hi-tech hardware in my box (geforce4 card). I actually believe that the xbox will help pc gaming because games will be easy to port back and forth, so the all the extras in the hardware will be used. Also the console market gives developers a huge customer base to make money off of.

COLINMAN

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ April 20 2002,10wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I actually believe that the xbox will help pc gaming because games will be easy to port back and forth, so the all the extras in the hardware will be used. Also the console market gives developers a huge customer base to make money off of.<span id='postcolor'>

That would be true if other than Microsoft(or other visious monopolist tech empire) would be running the show.

Microsoft have been controling the release of PC versions of their most famous games just to keep their Xbox safe of the PC danger. Games like Halo or Metal Gear may never see the light just cause MS don't want to.

As I see it Microsoft is forcing the developers to a "Xbox exclusive contract" so in the future the Xbox will have all the good PC titles but the PC wont have the good Xbox ones. That situation & piracy will lure away many good PC games developers to the Xbox where they have more confortable developing hardware (the same hardware), more profits(games are more expensive and to play a good game online you will have to pay $$$<!--emo&wink.gif.

THE XBOX IS BAD TO PC GAMMING.

For me the PC will always be the extreme gamming machine.

Not only they are more powerfull now. They keep getting better and better thanks to the rivalry of Nvidia vs ATI and INTEL vs AMD....things look very bright in the future.

Ill just wait for a computer freak that releases a Xbox emulator.

Long live the capitalism...down with the monopoly!!!!!

P.S.: did I mention Microsoft is the devil.... wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ April 20 2002,00:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The X-box can HDTV which is 1080i so it's as good as running on a monitor at 1025x786.

Now what is everyone's problem with consoles? I think that they are great if a develpoer like codemasters can make a game and make a ton of cash off of it. PC's aren't going anywhere and the only thing they can do is benifit off of the consoles.

COLINMAN<span id='postcolor'>

a HDTV cost at least $2,500. with that money I could arm a 21" flat monitor PC with a ultrapowerfull 1.8MHZ Atlon with 512MB DDRAM, Geforce 4 Ti4200 and Soundblaster Live soundcard with Cambridge speakers that will blow way anything in its front (including the Xbox).

Don't get me wrong Dayglow I have nothing agains consoles (or you). They are quite nice and bug free for a great living room gaming experience. But the fact that microsoft is using their empire to control developers of PC games just pisses me off.....besides that Xbox is the best console.....maybe I'll get one one day in the future....;)

P.S. Did I mention that when you sum the ASCCI values of Bill gates name you get 666 wow.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (keKoJoNes @ April 22 2002,09:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ April 20 2002,00:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The X-box can HDTV which is 1080i so it's as good as running on a monitor at 1025x786.

a HDTV cost at least $2,500. with that money I could arm a 21" flat monitor PC with a ultrapowerfull 1.8MHZ Atlon with 512MB DDRAM, Geforce 4 Ti4200 and Soundblaster Live soundcard with Cambridge speakers that will blow way anything in its front (including the Xbox).<span id='postcolor'>

Cant you hook up your XBox to a computer monitor, I think I've read somewhere.

-=Die Alive=-

This is for all of you XBox lovers.. I do not hate consoles, I will probably get an one. Not to replace my pc but to enhance it. However you people think the graphics will be better on the 'Box. If you are comparing it to a P2/500 with a Voodoo3 then the 'Box will be better but in reality the graphics are about the same as my son's 800Duron with MX400 and no where near my TBird 1.4 with Geforce3! You can't compare the two and say which is better 'cause they do different things. I love the PC more because I have a 5 pc LAN in my home, coupled with the internet, nothing compares. I hope OFP does well on the XBox but the game will not be like the pc version-- considering all that this game does, that will be impossible.

One day I hope they make a "console PC." A pc designed to play games that should cost about $600. That's what my son's cost including 17" monitor and surround speakers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ April 22 2002,17:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (keKoJoNes @ April 22 2002,09:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DayGlow @ April 20 2002,00:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The X-box can HDTV which is 1080i so it's as good as running on a monitor at 1025x786.

a HDTV cost at least $2,500. with that money I could arm a 21" flat monitor PC with a ultrapowerfull 1.8MHZ Atlon with 512MB DDRAM, Geforce 4 Ti4200 and Soundblaster Live soundcard with Cambridge speakers that will blow way anything in its front (including the Xbox).<span id='postcolor'>

Cant you hook up your XBox to a computer monitor, I think I've read somewhere.

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

Yes you can. Some taiwan company sells a PAL converter. Still the best you can get is 640X480. So...still PC kicks ass...

one thing is for sure, if ofp for x-box becomes a hit expect many many many many many many X many idiots that populate illustrious communities such as cs, tfc or DoD to come bother us, anxious to show off their l337n3ss. it might be good for the game but it'll be a dark day for one of the tightest, most mature gaming communities out there. not to mention the more popular a game the greater the amount of nut-curd guzzling cheats.

quite frankly , i dont think xbox will attract l33t nuts in anyway. most people will NOT use the xbox to play online.

infact i see the xbox more like a new age board game. while pc gaming often is something you do alone , the console brings daddy (or the kids) back to the living room. console gaming has a social component as you often do it with friends , passing the controller around while the rest chats and has a beer. at least that is my experience.

i just love to have ofp for my xbox because i acctually prefer sitting in my comfy beanback playing a game than sitting upstairs , on my own , in the computer room.

both have their place , i love my xbox as much as my pc ... so there you have it smile.gif

i know i know , i m xboxs advocate here tounge.gif

wow.gif4--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (keKoJoNes @ April 19 2002,14wow.gif4)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">snip..

Im tired of this stripped versions of games ported to the console. They lost 75% of their content and complexity just to satisfy the hunger for money of a publisher (CODEMASTERS).

...snip<span id='postcolor'>

Why aren't publishers allowed to make money? I don't know about you, but if I was running a company and I had a product I could produce on a different platform for a minimal amount of money and make huge profits, well I'd do it. How is making money evil? Same for Microsoft. They are doing what a smart business should. Secure esclusive material for their platform to create demand for their product. Smart business and a good way to make money.

Now I don't worry about 'all the good games not being on pc but xbox or some other platform' for a good reason. There will always be upstarts waiting in the wings to make something new. I mean look at BIS. Did anyone know about them before OFP? This game came out of left field for me. I tried the demo and I was hooked. The PC is the easiest platform for the small developer to code for. They don't have to worry about licences or royalties. A couple guys can create a game out of their house for a minimal amount of money.

Maybe we won't see the headline games that the media hypes, but most of them suck anyways. There will always be companies like ID and others creating for the PC.

COLINMAN

I don't know what you guys are smoking..but I want some. First I have a 4 x-box lan all running on 32" minimum TV's thats a 16 player HALO lan for a little more than the cost of one of my PC's with monitor. BTW My main rig is on a 36" Gateway Destination tounge.gif

Plus how is it bad for the company whose game you love to make more money??? Is it because you would hate to see them be able to poor more money into develpoment and come out with a better game that you would have to spend 50 bucks on?

And one other thing if you don't like it don't play it...plain and simple

I definitly prefer the flexibility of a PC. I've never owned a console, I'd never wanna, but I have owned a PC since the age of 6. Poor OFP players on X-Box, won't they miss the editing...? By the way, no, they probably won't, X-Box and all other consoles is for people who only play, nothing else. HALO seems nice for X-Box, but OFP is, and need to be, much more complex - thinking of its features, such as creating own missions, campaigns, you can make own addons, everything. And dePBO OFP music  smile.gif You know, everything... You can do everything with a PC & OFP.

Penetrator

Xbox $300

PC $3000

Which is better?Deffinatly the PC.Theres about $2700 diffrents in graphics. smile.gif

Plus how about add-ons?You wouldnt be able to make MODS with a Xbox, would you?No didnt think so. smile.gif

Would someone mind explaining to me what l33t and l337n3ss mean? I see it all the time yet I can't work out what it means.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (luker27 @ April 25 2002,06:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Would someone mind explaining to me what l33t and l337n3ss mean?  I see it all the time yet I can't work out what it means.<span id='postcolor'>

Its haxor speek. Basically a bunch of kids sort of created the electronic equivalent of a 'secret langauge' like pig latin. L33t is 'leet' or short of 'elite'. It's called elite speak because they only understand it so they are elite. Basically they phonically spell everything and insert different charactors for letters that have the same shape or mirror or what ever. I don't understand it and don't use it, but I do understand l33tn3ss and stay far away from it.

edit

I think it started in forums that had automated censors so they could talk about pirating and hacking without their posts being deleted. Same idea how 'warez' got it's name. At first I thought it was 'war-azz' like they declared war on the establishment by pirating, but I gave too much credit smile.gif It's 'wear-zz' like in software.

COLINMAN

Will xb-ofp players be able to play with pc-ofp players on the net (I shudder at the thought of such blasphamy)?