Sign in to follow this  
cartier90

Online interface

I havent played this excellent game online - though I really want to. Why ?, well because of the absolute MESS that the gamespy multiplayer interface is.

Call me thick - but I frankly would like the intuitive options of any number of consoles FPS games combined with the depth of this game. Please help me find a solution to this - this is what put me off OFP online as well. The potential is there , I just cant wrap my tiny mind around the multiplayer interface.

Can anyone give me a very brief 101 on joining a 'clan' , if i have to pay and if this is absolutely necessary to play a team deathmatch-esque, game. Please dont baulk at my level of ignorance. This is the one major area of PC gaming I find infuriating and fully admit I just need a hand in getting started.

Is there a more intuitive multiplayer inferface out there that can replace the vanilla one ? - I loved GTA4's online interface, a stretch to draw a parallel between that game and this - I know, but at least I could get stuck in and play !

I am into sim games - have got ACE2 , I just want the ease of use of the pick up and play games re - their online parts.

To me it only lacks more information. Like an info button with information the admins can add with links to addons used. That way the whole mission name can be viewed and maybe even a section to see whos on (everyone).

But to join a clan? Cant be easier really. Clans/teams have their name usually in the server name so you cant really miss. But there are no "make a clan online" if thats what you meant? Like a lobby where you can form a clan etc. Clans/teams are made outside of the game and then they buy server space or have their own server where they add their clan/team name as servername.

Check the squad section in this forum to learn what teams there are in this community. Many of them are here recruiting etc.

But i agree. Nicer MP browser would be nice. At least an info button where admins can add all vital info as i mentioned. That would be enough for me personally.

So in joining a clan - and sharing a server , they would be guarenteed low ping times im assuming and mature players ( one hopes ) ?

If I was to join one, I assume agreeing to play at a certain time would be a start, but then what interface is used to 'meet up' ?, I cant see myself using the default multiplayer menu ....thanks for info....

The pings will depend on where their server is based, like always. You may join a UK clan but their server could be in the Netherlands. However, ping doesn't really matter that much in Arma2 so long as its not passed 500ms, it's the amount of desync you're getting that does.

The server browser, or "multiplayer menu" as you called it, is the only way you're going to be able to find your clan's server. It's really not that hard to use, you just hit refresh and wait for the servers to load and, if need be, filter for your desired server using the filter options. It's actually a better server browser than some of the more higher quality titles that use them, namely Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

PC multiplayer is almost a completely different beast to console multiplayer. Servers are used, not individual hosts like on consoles. Matchmaking sticks to consoles for the most part unless you're talking about Modern Warfare 2. PC gamers take pride in having server browsers because we're almost guaranteed a much better multiplayer experience than consolers.

Unfortunately, for most consolers, which I presume you are/were one given you liking of console MP interfaces, they may find it difficult to get accustomed. Just fiddle around with it and you'll get the gist quickly. Or, if you do join a clan, ask someone to help you with it.

You are right, ArmA2 is unfriendly, at least to play online. (sure, there is a lot of documentation on "how to", but you have do search)

BIS should create and integrate ingame a tool friendly as Yoma and efficient as Six.

I think Project Reality (due June/July) is aimed squarely at you and players like you (and me also). You won't need to join a clan just find your closest PR server and jump on "to play a team deathmatch-esque, game" with good level of teamwork.

I think Project Reality (due June/July) is aimed squarely at you and players like you (and me also). You won't need to join a clan just find your closest PR server and jump on "to play a team deathmatch-esque, game" with good level of teamwork.

Ironic......bout the same time most of us will be moving into Operation ArrowHead.

Ironic......bout the same time most of us will be moving into Operation ArrowHead.

Only those who imagine bots are a substitute for a real thinking opponent, seems to me the OP is after adversarial teamplay.

Yeah PvP is a whole other ballgame ofcourse, but i will feel A2 being "a bit old" when OA comes out. However i will definatelly test PR even if i normally dont play PvP. Normally not liking it because of the points hunting style of just wanting to rack up kills as a main thing. Sorry but my PvP experience was with BF2 (not PR) and the likes and i kind of hated it. However i think PR might be a little different so i will give it a chance. I might even love it. :)

But yeah, the browser could use an info button. That way BIS wouldnt have to rearrange the whole thing. Just add a button called "server info" or just "info", and when pressed it opens a scrollable window where admins can put as much text they want plus clickable links to direct people to addon download pages. Newbie friendly and easy for all.

Download Yoma's AddonSync -> http://dev-heaven.net/projects/yoma-addonsync2009/files

YAS Forum here -> http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=89792

1) Do your setting.

2) Go to "Find Server" Tab

3) Hit on Search for full populated server list or you can Filter as you like.

You can see what mods servers run and what mods they allow and all the other info you need.

4) Double click to select mod / profile / start-up options and join the game

Download Six Updater -> http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater_Suite

SUS Support here -> http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater_Suite+support

1) Click in server field, Select server

1) Click in the action field, Select "Install or Update, and Join Server"

3) Hit execute. All server mods are auto selected and installed when available on the network.

(Click 'server' to go to browser list with advanced search filtering, and the whole lot)

:D

Overview of available Mods and all Dedicated ArmA Servers -> http://updater.dev-heaven.net/main

Edited by Sickboy

Lol.. and get Permission Denied (you don't have permission) :p

Any idea why its doing it?

Edited by Cross

OK...

Would have been nice if notice screen popped up.

Edited by Cross

v 0.9.13

So? You'll have to give yourself permission as noted in the section I linked you to.

Need to Select Install, Update & Join (or just join server) from the Action field

Yoma Addon Sync 2009 is the answer until the actual browser is updated (which probably won't happen anytime soon.) There's also of course Six-Updater but in my experience Yoma's tool is more reliable and faster.

BIS browser needs great many things to make it useful for both players and admins. I wonder why there are no mods that alter the actual multiplayer UI, it certainly should be possible. Essential things I'd like to see are:

-Better addon filtering

-Better player listing

-Better UI element placing (for example all text, including chat, error and map messages, block everything under it)

-Favourite servers

Edited by Norsu

i seen several MP server list screen UI mods already ...

addon filtering would need to be full text search like filter and support combined arguments ...

but if you need need something way better why not use HLSW ...

it has all needed and it's pure windowed interface ;)