Sign in to follow this  
jackthe®ipper

Raised weapon sights

Ahh sorry Galzohar and sorry to Chumba as I think he wanted more dispersion for simulating suppression effects only.I agree that more dispersion all around is bad.And maybe Chumba is right that some dispersion while suppressed is a good thing.

What do you think of more dispersion for firing without optics/ironsight though?I feel that a crosshair that you put on enemy and isn't a sure kill is better than what we have now.BIS from what I gather is making Arma more fun and being able to shoot without optics is definitely more fun since you have a wider FOV.More dispersion while weapon is just shouldered would work well allowing a crosshair while in veteran mode.No more veteran mode and no crosshair relying on luck and a large waste of ammo to get a quick kill.

I'd rather have no-dispersion-no-crosshair solutions to be honest, that way shooting unaimed is up to the shooter's ability yet is never totally accurate (unless you mark the center of your screen with a marker and hold breath).

Dispersion as an effect of suppression (or anything really, other than an actually poor weapon) would be bad as well IMO, because again you will be lining up the sights just fine and still miss and wonder WTF is happening (and this kind of thing is one of the main reasons I don't play PR:BF2).

Increased dispersion while not in sighted mode would work fine for me, amount probably being based on weapons dexterity (over the sight shooting more accurate with a fast weapon like the MP5 than with a slow weapon like the M107). Then I wouldn't have a problem with those using crosshairs, and crosshairs could even remain what they are now.

I'd rather have no-dispersion-no-crosshair solutions to be honest, that way shooting unaimed is up to the shooter's ability yet is never totally accurate (unless you mark the center of your screen with a marker and hold breath).

The thing is without the marking center of screen cheat you are much worse then you would be in real.You lose so much info on a screen compared to real life and I see many players spraying wildly and they are about 5 feet away from enemy.Arma does not give good hit effects and some objects you are hitting show no effects at all.Now your running blind.Would greatly enhance CQC which Arma is lacking unless you play with the super accurate crosshair we have now.

Dispersion as an effect of suppression (or anything really, other than an actually poor weapon) would be bad as well IMO, because again you will be lining up the sights just fine and still miss and wonder WTF is happening (and this kind of thing is one of the main reasons I don't play PR:BF2).

I think a crazy erratic sway different from standard would be great for times you are suppressed.I watched this video of a player being suppressed like crazy and his aim was everywhere.Looked so realistic that way and it was all the players doing.He looked rattled. :D

bbbbbbbbb

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

Increased dispersion while not in sighted mode would work fine for me, amount probably being based on weapons dexterity (over the sight shooting more accurate with a fast weapon like the MP5 than with a slow weapon like the M107). Then I wouldn't have a problem with those using crosshairs, and crosshairs could even remain what they are now.

Could you mod that?I really feel that once people feel how good it works many will convert.

Me? No way :D Others? Who knows, but I kinda doubt it. Using sights doesn't produce a change in animation (which could be measured), and afaik there is no "signal" o measure, no "command" so to speak. Hopefully in OA... Then again, throw it at ACE, seems to be capable of just about anything.

Carl I have faith in you but its ok if you can't.ACE crew could probably do it,they added in the excellent CQB sights.

That idea sounds damned fine to me too - it does my head in a bit that I'm finding shooting with the cursor is actually somewhat (a %$@#ing LOT in fact) more successful than using sights... - in STALKER I find the same thing tho - so really wondering if it's just something psychological with me. In STALKER I play with cursor OFF for this reason and would do so in ARMA2 as well except that in ARMA2 I then find I can't hit squat with the silly ironsights and CQB optics (AIM and Holo) - have just installed GTD's ironsight mod tho so will see if that helps.

I'm pretty sure that's what they did in OFP - ie. cursor is never as good as the ironsight for actually hitting targets which is how it should be. It's then questionable whether using nice large stylised sights + zoom is an acceptable way to do it... - I personally like it that way myself.

The issue your having with ironsights is the disorientation when going from normal to ironsight view.Throws you,me and most everybody off.If you look at my new post on a more realistic shouldered view you will find that it would make for better feel for ironsight mode.Though I still think when firing from hip should have crosshair and much more dispersion.

While the crosshair is better simply because it's a "super-ironsight", I don't find such difficulties in aiming with ironsights/aimpoints such as the ones you describe...

While the crosshair is better simply because it's a "super-ironsight", I don't find such difficulties in aiming with ironsights/aimpoints such as the ones you describe...

Yep - I'd say it's me - I knock over badguys no sweat with the cursor + tripple taps but when I use the ironsights altho it's all lined up properly and SHOULD work (I'm actually a very decent shooter IRL tho I've never shot at live targets) I can't hit squat! Very humiliating and more than a little frustrating. I have no problems in OFP and find the overall feel to be spot on.