Sign in to follow this  
INTOanother

Confession

well, boys (and girls) I have something to get off my chest. I came into a little cash last week (tax refund!wink.gif and I decide to splurge and bought Ghost Recon. BIG MISTAKE. After playing Operation Flashpoint and getting used to its controls and being immersed in the games dynamics and atmosphere, I am spoiled. GR is a total disappointment. I got banned from UBI's forum for bitching too much about all it's bugs and conflict issues which affect actual gameplay and just running the thing. Their tech problem forum is the largest I've ever seen... and they just released Desert Seige and still haven't fixed half the problems with the first release... I was a little ticked after spending 45.00 on a half-finished product. And for God sakes, you can't even see your hands or weapon in view. Whose big idea was that? thats not realism! Last time I checked, I could see my hands in front of me in real life... That game is like playing a souped-up version of Nintendo's Duck Hunt.

I read so many good reviews about GR that I thought I made an educated decision, but i guess those guys have never played Operation Flashpoint.

So I just wanted to say, I am sorry for taking Operation Flashpoint and its genius developers for granted. I'll never do it again. Keep up the good work...

lol, there we go again....

Ghost Recon is not OFP, and to compare the 2 is unnecessary, as they work differently- each game in it´s own environment and setup. The only thing both have in common, they are action based, with GR more focusing on this part than OFP.

For the often debated weapon view in 1st person; i could happily trade this feature in OFP for more realism in other, more important spots, especially as long as weapons are textured with 256x256px overlays.

I like Flashpoint as Ghost Recon as they play different.

Let's quietely abandon this thread, before some flame-war starts smile.gif

Yeah , I dont want to start a war either... just wanted to show my appreciation for far and away the best damn war sim out there. Sure OFP needs some improvements here and there, but overall it beats the panties off anything out there...

REALLY! If we could combine the graphics potential of MOH with OFP that would be incredible... but then again MOH is a little arcade-ish. wait, I'm going to start another war... better leave now

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (INTOanother @ April 12 2002,16:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I read so many good reviews about GR that I thought I made an educated decision, but i guess those guys have never played Operation Flashpoint.  <span id='postcolor'>

Read Gamespot's review. Reviewer there has been playing OFP. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (INTOanother @ April 12 2002,16:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That game is like playing a souped-up version of Nintendo's Duck Hunt.<span id='postcolor'>

LOL!!!! at least in duck hunt you had little reloading time!

Anyway, it is true that OFP 1.0 was buggy. From what I hear, ppl used to complain about bugs sooo much. and I hear that most has been dealt with.

that's the difference btw 2 games. BIS supports it with patches, and UBI, a lot less.

but GR and OFP camparison is like trying to compare apples and oranges. tounge.gif

I too just recently played the game for the first time. I played the toutorial and then I played the first mission. I just didn't like it after that first mission and stopped playing it.

-=Die Alive=-

I got GR too but its just gathering dust now. I don't really know what it is about it though, i just can't get into it.

If i had bought GR before flashpoint i might have liked it but now it just seems very restrictive now.

The GR graphics and sound are very good but theres nothing really new in the gameplay, in fact it feels like a step backwards from rogue spear and rainbow 6 which I really liked.

Then theres the command map....compared to flashpoints menus and point & click system the command map is a joke, it shows very little detail of the surrounding landscape and the commands themselves are limited really to just sending your men to a specifice point.

The friendlies won't do much on their own. yes, they do shoot the enemy but then won't attack tanks with rockets. Theres no command to tell them to wait while you check ahead.

The men in your fireteam follow you around like puppies, going where you go. theres no stop , advance or stay back command.

Before anyone says it, I do understand that GR is not meant to be like flashpoint. It is meant to simulate a small special forces group, but having said that, it could have been much better.

I wouldn't say they're like apples and oranges.  They both aim at simulating combat from the first person perspective.

Warcraft III compared to Flashpoint is like apples and oranges, but certainly not Ghost Recon.

AI is really bad in that game.  Enemy AI hardly ever goes prone.  They shoot while standing or crouching.  They hardly ever disperse, making them an easy target for grenades.

Friendly AI is really lame too.  The map interface is so buggy that I hardly ever use it.

Overall I played the singleplayer campaign 3 times (I didn't have Flashpoint at the time), but the game was more of a Quicksave/Quickload type rather than a realistic tactical shooter.

I completely agree with the Gamespot review, and am still clueless as to what PC Gamer was thinking to name it the game of the year. Could it have something to do with the fact that the American PC Gamer hardly advertises for Codemasters, which is a European publisher, and on the contrary advertises a lot for Red Storm ?

Yeah this game ain't that great after what we have seen in OFP. What can i say, it just sucks. wink.gif

I have always liked the R6 serious (Say what you wan't, GR is from the r6 series wink.gif)

Honestly, I think they should stick to CQB.

Sounds rocked tho

(But hey, We have stachels sounds)

Ghost Recon uses almos the same technology as Rainbow Six or Rogue Spear. There, the gunsight (your hands were left out, too, what was a big error,i think) was left out, and the aiming (i hope you deactivated the auto-aim) is more like a round-based game, i.e. if you have the better waepon,you'll hit first. god thanx they removed the AI-headshot script in GR. it's gotten quite fair. And reagrding the graphics (men, buildings, nature)and movement, it's quite good.

Don't give up, I was sad that there were so few missions in that game.

Comparing OFP to GR is like comparing a sirloin steak cut by a master butcher and cooked by the chef of the year. To a rat burger half cooked over a tire fire by a piss smelling tramp who used it as a pillow for a week. biggrin.gif

I didn't like it at first, but then I was bored and started playing it again

It was alright for about 8 missions, and then i got to the mission with the swamp and deleted the game

its just not fun

and I realy really hate its pathetic graphics!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ April 13 2002,05:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I didn't like it at first, but then I was bored and started playing it again

It was alright for about 8 missions, and then i got to the mission with the swamp and deleted the game

its just not fun

and I realy really hate its pathetic graphics!!<span id='postcolor'>

Really, you hated the graphics?

Myself I like GR. I think it has some strong points that are better than OFP and weaker points where OFP is better. Both games are fun, both frustrate me in ways.

But the graphics? The terrain is much more detailed, alas it is a much smaller area, but I never felt cramped in the game. The motion caps of people moving are unbelievable. Once I got used to the command system controlling my troops was easy. Both games are excellent.

As for the gunsight, it's a compramise. Most games (OFP default view inclueded) show your weapon being held somewhere off to your left halfway up from your hip to your shoulder with a magic laser sight in the middle of the screen. Not realistic. But to draw a weapon right and use the sights isn't that great either, because of the confines of the computer screen, the weapon model would block a lot of the view (try infiltration for Unreal Tournament, a game where the actual iron sights on the 3d model are used to target, great fun, but hard, especially on the screen) Redstorm (and seirra in SWAT III ) solution was to draw the sights of the weapon on the screen as you are looking down on them and have a visual cue on the accurasy of your aim represented in the blooming rectile. The idea is that in RL you would be looking through your weapon's sights to the outside world and the gun would blur away. It's like shooting a shot in basketball, the ball is infront of you, but you don't focus on it, you look at your target. I mean really does it really matter that you can't stare at your nice 3d model of a gun in a game. It doesn't bother me and GR is an enjoyable game. I've never understood this whole 'you can't see your gun so it sucks' aguement. It's there take on trying to bring a 3d world to a computer screen.

COLINMAN

I think that textures in GR are ugly and at the distance they

are also pretty annoying to look at sad.gif

Just want to make a comment here. I've been a flight-sim junkie for years and been in online communities like this one, but for different flightsims and the one thing I've noticed is that people like more than one sim. There is never this GR suxs OFP rules. People like the different sims. There maybe discussion of what one sim does better than another, but there isn't this antaganism.

How is the tatical FPS market different? Why do people feel necessary to slam one game while raving about another? Why can't we all just get along? smile.gif

Oh yeah, turn on mip-mapping and the textures in the distance are blended and performance actually improves.

COLINMAN

I also have a confession, I went and bought MOHAA on Thursday.

It aint as good as OFP and I kept trying to change to 3rd person view and ordering people about, but it didnt work.

The beach landing mission was impressive thought but the AI isnt as good as flashpoints, I always get shot by the US troops sad.gif

Not debating if GR is bad or good, I must say that it's graphics are short of pathetic. The nature is also a joke, nothing looks natural, sharp polygon edges everywhere...

Ghost Recon isnt a bad game for what it is, but if you try to compare it to OFP, of course its gonna suck! All games suck compared to OFP lol. I like GR for just practicing small unit tactics in a controlled environment, because if everyone involved knows what they are doing, the game has some very good firefight dynamics.

I like GR for what it is...a game.

OFP is more of a lifestyle.

tounge.gif

I've never liked any of the Rainbow6 series games, even right when the first came out and nothing else was at the same level. They're simply too stiff and cold and lifeless. And the way enemies just stand like scarecrows, pinned to the same exact spot, aiming at the location where your head will pop up... that reminds me of the AI level in pre-Doom games.

And the way your teammates are glued to your ass, totally useless until you die and take control of them yourself, is just another proof that the AI IQ is below lesser insect level (somewhere around -10 to 0).

tounge.gif

(major sp edit)