Sign in to follow this  
irongrip

How can I edit the injured unit speech?

I had quit playing Arma2 for a little while due to reasons of conscience, but I think I may have a workaround.

My problem was all the foul language in the game, but since ACE2 and other updates, most of it is gone, the only thing left (and I would not even consider playing the game around my wife and kids like this) is the injured units and how they often say things like "$h%t that hurt!" or "My f@(&!ng leg!".

So here is my question: Would the same principle Charon Productions used to modify the sounds for his zombies be applicable to the basic OPFOR units?

If so, is there anyone who might be able to give me the low down on how I can go about doing this, i.e what tools I must use, files I must edit, etc.?

Thanks

EDIT: That is supposed to say BLUFOR units; any and all units at any rate.

Edited by irongrip

Moved as this has nothing to do with troubleshooting the tools.

Sorry about that; my question didn't seem to fit neatly into any of the subforums.

I re-installed the game, downloaded PBOview and took a look but I can't seem to find the files linked to the troops speech. I looked first in "characters.pbo, characters2.pbo, language.pbo, languagemissions.pbo, sound.pbo and soundmissions.pbo, then in misc, misc2 and misc3.pbo and NOTHING! All I could find in sounds.pbo are ".wss. files, but I don't know how to manipulate them.

Still no one knowledgeable enough to help?

Check WaveToSSS and I also think Audacity (open source sound app) can open .wss

Thanks for the tip LoyalGuard. I'll experiment with it.

Alright, audacity kicks major tail, but the challenge now is to locate the specific files that contain the profanity.

And I say again, I am NOT talking about radio voices, nor when they call out "Wounded!" or "I'm hit!", but the random grunts and groans of injured units, which also contain "$h%t!" and "My f@(&!ng leg!".

These files are very elusive. I seem to remember seeing a file called "agony.wss", but it would seem that a single file is not what I'm after.

Nevertheless, does anyone know which .pbo that file is in (I can't seem to find it again), or perhaps know where to find the specific files? Or who to ask?

Thanks again

I dont know if this is the spot, but in the revive_sqf / sound folder, there are a bunch of files.ogg.

I think these are the voices you refer to. I have read in other posts about how to make/edit ogg sound files, but cant pinpoint it now.

Hopefully this is helpful.

I'm good to go now, as far as file manipulation of .ogg, .wss, etc (thanks LoyalGuard). That revive_sfq/sound is a user addon is it not? I'm trying to modify the default game voices.

I do thank you for your help. :)

unPbo dubbing.pbo. What you're looking for is in /dubbing/GLOBAL/RADIO/..., there are six "takes" for Men multiplied by 3 for the three main languages CZ, EN and RU.

The single files are nicely named and it's structured quite well, though it will still be a lot of work to do complete voice-replacements, especially if you wanna keep the six different characters or even match your sounds to them.

good luck.

Thanks, but:

And I say again, I am NOT talking about radio voices...

However, my good Catholic friend found the answer:

Unpacked sounds.pbo with PBOView

Removed the following files from /characters/noises/damage:

zozo-hit-11.wss

banz-damage-g1-01.wss

banz-damage-g1-07-arm.wss

george-damage-g2-04-arm.wss

jennik-damage-g1-03.wss

jennik-damage-g1-10.wss

jennik-damage-g1-11-leg.wss

jennik-damage-g1-12-leg.wss

matej-damage-g1-f**k.wss

pipka.wss

vasa-damage-g1-06-leg.wss

vasa-damage-g1-07-leg.wss

vasa-damage-g1-08-leg.wss

vasa-damage-g1-11-arm.wss

zozo-damage-g1-02.wss

zozo-damage-g1-04-arm.wss

zozo-damage-g1-06-arm.wss

zozo-damage-g1-07-arm.wss

zozo-damage-g1-10.wss

zozo-damage-g1-11.wss

zozo-damage-g1-12-leg.wss

zozo-damage-g1-13.wss

zozo-damage-g1-14.wss

zozo-hit-07.wss

Repacked .pbo, problem solved. ArmA 2 is now clean.

Thank you BIS for such a customizable game and ACE team for muting the evil soldier speech.:)

Edited by irongrip

"i love the killing but can't stand the swear words i hear from my vicitms".. :)

Iron, do you think it's possible to get this made into an addon. I'd quite like to do what you did.

wont you get problems in online mode if u customize vanilla.pbos ... just a guess^^

i think he should copy it and run it as a solo addon instead of altering the vanilla data.

wont you get problems in online mode if u customize vanilla.pbos ... just a guess^^

i think he should copy it and run it as a solo addon instead of altering the vanilla data.

Exactly why I asked. :)

Well, politely put, he is screwed if he trys joining any server with a signed list, so about 80%-90% of servers are off limits to him now. Somebody probably should have warned him about that... Also, won't that edit cause alot of CTDs?

As i said, copy the vanilla.pbo, edit it, make a "@Mod" folder, in the style of all the other Mods (i.e. @MOD\addons\customized.pbo). Just make sure the customized PBOs name is still the same as the vanillas so it is overwritten at start.

that should do the trick.

PS: remember to add a -mod=@MOD into the Shortcut of your ArmA2.exe like always

(and I would not even consider playing the game around my wife and kids like this)

I was thinking about this and I want to clarify: I was not meaning to suggest that I have a wife and kids, but was proposing this as an illustration to help others to relate to my thinking - and maybe get them thinking similarly, especially if they have kids.