Sign in to follow this  
Grizzle

WIP Director Movie/Camera addon

My English is worse than I thought. :)

I need:

1. players in a multiplayer game can not use the Director.

2. Only I can use Director.

In my init.sqf I wrote:

if (! (side player == civilian)) then (

GZL_DIRECTOR_INIT = false;

);

This works, but only with an error.

My English is worse than I thought. :)

I need:

1. players in a multiplayer game can not use the Director.

2. Only I can use Director.

In my init.sqf I wrote:

if (! (side player == civilian)) then (

GZL_DIRECTOR_INIT = false;

);

This works, but only with an error.

Ah. Sorry about that ;)

I will have to look into it as it wasn't really designed for MP, but I think it would be valuable to make it so.

Edited by Grizzle

it wasn't really designed for MP, but I think it would be valuable to make it so

This sounds like a great idea Grizzle...

I'm planning on using Director to make a proper video of my island at some point, and my basic idea (though hadn't actually tried it as yet) was to...

Host a basic multiplayer "video mission" - with waypoints set up for people to follow - some AI doing stuff, etc... I'd join that mission as "actor 1".

A second friend would join as "actor 2".

(or, in one scene - as "sheep 1" and "sheep 2" :D)

Since the mission is being client-hosted - that leaves my little dedi server PC able to join as a third "player" - in this case acting as the "cameraman"... (basically this would be the machine running Director and doing the capturing)...

The theory was that then my friend and I could run about doing stuff its tricky to get the AI to do... like flying in formation upside down at 10m all the way down a long lake and stuff :) (it's an RAF low-flying training area island) and I could simultaneously use the 3rd machine to capture us failing to get it right ;)

All just ideas I haven't tried yet - but I guess it does all involve MP capability... so I'm delighted you're looking at the whole MP thing!!

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Would there be any way of using a gamelogic or module or something to have directory load automatically at the start of the mission and then pause the mission so that you can set up the first camera? I'd love to use this for making an Intro scene for my mission but I'd like to set up the camera before all my AI animations start doing their thing at the beginning.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Also, I'm new to Intro/Outro editing. What is the easiest way to copy all of my objects in the main mission and paste them into the Into/Outro? Should I just copy my mission.sqm file to intro.sqm file or should I do this from within the editor? Thanks!

What is the easiest way to copy all of my objects in the main mission and paste them into the Into/Outro?

Click and drag a box in the editor to select everything - hit <ctrl>C - switch to "intro" - click on the map and hit <ctrl>V

B

Click and drag a box in the editor to select everything - hit <ctrl>C - switch to "intro" - click on the map and hit <ctrl>V

Thanks, but that is kind of a crap way of doing it because you end up having different placement coordinates for each unit. When you have a mission with lots of waypoints and triggers and things like that, it's just a big mess.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

It looks like the best way is to open up mission.sqm and copy all of the objects from class "Mission" into class "Intro" and then you will have the same xyz coordinates for all your placed objects.

True... although all the units are in the same relative position to each other as they were before... so while they're still all selected - you can just zoom in on one particular unit which is supposed to be in a known location - move him as close to the exact same spot as humanly possible and, while you're doing that - all the others will be moving too.... place one accurately you, in effect, place them all accurately...

Agreed however, that if you really need pinpoint to-the-millimeter accuracy, theres no substitute for porting over the data via the file copy approach...

*edit... Now I come to think of it... I think that if you do the select and copy procedure - switch to "intro" and then - WITHOUT clicking anywhere on the map - just hit paste - it DOES paste in the exact same spot it copied from...

Not 100% sure about that - you'd need to try... but I vaguely remember doing that during Domination editing and it did work OK... worth a quick test anyway...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

*edit... Now I come to think of it... I think that if you do the select and copy procedure - switch to "intro" and then - WITHOUT clicking anywhere on the map - just hit paste - it DOES paste in the exact same spot it copied from...

Not 100% sure about that - you'd need to try... but I vaguely remember doing that during Domination editing and it did work OK... worth a quick test anyway...

B

That's what I initially tried and it didn't work.

Can you claify one thing? Are you saying that FinalCut.exe which monitors the clipboard is only provided for use with camera.sqs or is there a keypress which will actually capture from within director.

So far I can't see how to do this but it's also unlclear from your spec when you say that "it will be provided in the next version"?

Hi Grizzle,

I know your tight on time but if you could write up a simple tut on how to use the director from creating shots all the way to saving them to the 3rd party editor and then getting them into the mission.

I ask b/c I have been playing with it for a few days and I am running into problems.

Also if you can add a slider to angle the cam up and down in the z axis as if I were looking up at the sky or down at my feet. I have some shots I would like to do that don't require me being locked to a soldier or vehicle and I can't get that specific angle.

Thanks and this is actually a really great mod. It really does make camera.sqs scripting so much easier.

This is an addon called Director. It's a randomized and automated camera tool for simply watching battles or creating videos using your favorite video recording software. It also allows you to create your own camera scripts for use in missions (Intro/Outro).

Beta 0.2 Released!

Get it HERE. Please read the enclosed PDF for installation and usage instructions. More detailed instructions on using the new Create feature will be added later, but there should be enough to get you started messing around with it. Experiment!

Change Log:

Beta 0.2

• Updated Orbit Subject to work with fast moving vehicles. The speed of the orbit is still random so when it's fairly slow the effect may not be entirely apparent.

• Fixed a bug with preload.

• Fixed a bug with the dialog.

• Tweaked some functions and scenes for better performance

• Rearranged a few things on the main dialog

• Added a More… button for future use (options and what-not)

• Updated subject list to fix some issues. Bias slider is now ignored if the bias subjects do not exist in the subject list.

• Fixed – Main dialog now only movable using the top of the dialog (click anywhere on or above the mission name)

• Setting the scene length to 0 (zero) now means infinite length. To switch to a new scene, you will need to use the skip key.

• All selections are now executed in real-time – this includes scene selection which previously only switched when the scene timed out or the skip key was hit.

• Added a slight horizontal offset to the Fly By scene so the camera isn’t centered on the subject as it passes over. Most noticeable when men are the subject.

• Added the ability to create movie scripts for mission intro and outro. This requires a separate windows application to capture the movie data so it can be saved to an SQF file. This will be included with the next release. It is written in C# and will require .NET 2.0 runtimes if you don’t already have them installed.

Other notes:

This is my first attempt at an addon so there are some intricacies of Arma scripting that seem to block my attempts at certain features. One of them being the HUD's and trying to get rid of them properly. showHUD doesn't work consistently and operates differently depending upon where it's placed (script, description.ext, config.cpp) so I'll have to get that sorted out. I've tried modifying some of the base classes to remove the HUDs but haven't had much success.

I welcome comments, criticism and feature requests.

The videos were recorded using FRAPS and Dxtory at a game resolution of 1280x720 so the dialog is smaller on higher resolutions.

Watch on YouTube for HD. (recorded in FRAPS and Dxtory - some spots are 'jerky' )

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTbjMDga-WM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTbjMDga-WM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_sLKETCgic&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_sLKETCgic&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

brill work man this is what aa2 needed cam script works in any situation , mp sp games you name it. :yay: , all we need is a version for new game when it comes out , hopefully this will work np as well in game.

Hmmmph....I can't seem to get this working....everytime I go into either my created mission or an already created mission (one of the ArmA ones) I don't have the option of director...

this is my tag line

"D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\arma2.exe" -noSplash -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_SM;@ACEX_PLA;@gzl

But I can't seem to scroll and find "director" anywhere. It just gives me options for my weapons.

Pease_USVMC

Did you place the hpp file into userconfig?

Grizzle

I have some suggestions to your addon: Option to fully lock camera on object. For now, when object rotating, camera escaping for its needed point.

@Li0n I actually finally got it figured out :) thanks.

Hi Folks,

Been away from the scene while I try to find a job but I still fully intend to continue work on this mod. I just need to get some personal things settled first then I'll be back at it.

@node runner - Perhaps we can discuss your idea at more length as I think it would be possible depending upon how your animations are scripted. The 'create' section will allow you to execute a script for a given scene and this may be a possibility but I can't be sure until I more fully understand the request.

I'll be sure to post again once I am able to resume work on the mod.

Thanks to all!

@Grizzle can I make an into video for a mission I'm working on with this addon and how would I do it?

HI,

Ive been playing around with this , is a really nice utility.

I have an issue tho , once I am in the director, I cannot seem to get out of it , I closeit down but after returning to my player for a few seconds the Director kicks in again.

Is there a way to stop it completely whilst playing a mission?

Hi Grizzle! Hope you're doing well. Do you foresee any issues with this and Operation Arrowhead? I'm about to start trying it out but didn't know if I should learn it in ArmA2 vanilla or OA?

HI,

Ive been playing around with this , is a really nice utility.

I have an issue tho , once I am in the director, I cannot seem to get out of it , I closeit down but after returning to my player for a few seconds the Director kicks in again.

Is there a way to stop it completely whilst playing a mission?

Same problem for me how do I get out ?

This shouldn't be happening. You might check your keymappings and possibly change the mapping that brings up the UI. I imagine this issue is tied to a mod or something as I've never seen it.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Hi Grizzle! Hope you're doing well. Do you foresee any issues with this and Operation Arrowhead? I'm about to start trying it out but didn't know if I should learn it in ArmA2 vanilla or OA?

Shouldn't be any issues with OA. I'm fairly certain I use all base class names for units etc and the rest are all standard/camera commands that should operate the same way in OA.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

@Grizzle can I make an into video for a mission I'm working on with this addon and how would I do it?

The real concept was that one would use a program like FRAPS to record the video then do some post editing. It can create basic camera scripts, but there are some issues with it since it relies upon scripted units and whatnot to execute actions at the same time. Watch the video showing how to use the create feature. Once you've output your camera script you'll need to add it to your mission intro and call it via some init function in your campaign. I plan to increase the usability of the 'Create' feature when I have more time to work on it.

Edited by Grizzle

I have a problem with the director mod that I so far have not seen, I do have the director as a selectable option for the director, but it will not load, does anyone have a solution?

And also for some reason when I go to my arma 2 shortcut's properties there is no option for the loading of mod folders, which I actually up to this point have not needed for a while now.

Has anybody tried to use director on an AI that is "playing" UnitPlay function? I did and my screen just goes black, having to restart the missions. It's a shame it doesn't work, you could make very good movies with Director + UnitPlay.

For more info about UnitCapture and UnitPlay go to this thread: Link

Download link doesn't work. Is the author still around or does anyone have this somewhere they can upload?