Sign in to follow this  
echo1

Bye bye UCP - US Army adopts Multicam

Link

Not exactly a surprise, there was talk of it happening since... well, around the time they adopted UCP. There's been trials of it side-by-side with an improved UCP variant for the past few months, obviously it fared well out in Afghanistan.

In the humble opinion of this seasoned armchair commando, the Multicam appears to do the 'blending in with everything' act better than UCP, and given that the UK and some other countries are adopting it, or variants of it, it will probably cut down friendly fire incidents somewhat.

EDIT: Apparently at the moment it's only being adopted for troops in Afghanistan, but it seems odd that they wouldn't eventually switch the rest of the troops over if it proves successful.

Edited by echo1

EDIT: Apparently at the moment it's only being adopted for troops in Afghanistan, but it seems odd that they wouldn't eventually switch the rest of the troops over if it proves successful.

could it just be mass scale evaluation of the multicam? cant say i saw this coming...

As I said, there was quite a widespread evaluation of Multicam and UCP-D during the past few months (I think there was a thread on this elsewhere) but now they are actually going to adopt the Multicam for troops serving in Afghanistan to replace the UCP.

Prefer multicam to UCP, tho it'll be interesting to see how similar (if at all) the Brits in our MTP will look next to US units in regular multicam.

mtp_mod-319x420.jpgMTP_newuniform.jpg

multicam-afghanistan.jpg

I reckon they will look pretty similar at anything other than close up....

Edited by STALKERGB

Of course, this means that the ACU units that BIS is making for OA are probably obsolete now :P

Of course, this means that the ACU units that BIS is making for OA are probably obsolete now :P

Yeah true, wonder if the will change them? Either before release or in a patch. Although I doubt it would take long for someone to retex them if BIS left them as is.

than a lot of tax money was lost ?

what now with all those uniforms, gear and etc ?

than a lot of tax money was lost ?

what now with all those uniforms, gear and etc ?

surplus stores or in a warehouse somewhere....will be interesting to see how this all works out. Looks like the US and Brits are going to look very similar for the 1st time.

I guess binkowski will have to work on some new US army units now lol.

surplus stores or in a warehouse somewhere....will be interesting to see how this all works out. Looks like the US and Brits are going to look very similar for the 1st time.

I guess binkowski will have to work on some new US army units now lol.

Most things can be sold, but the body armor and SAPI plates cannot. I'm sure the ANA, Iraqi Army, or someone will receive donations in the near future. Or, they could simply go into the same warehouse holding the Ark of the Covenant.

Most things can be sold, but the body armor and SAPI plates cannot. I'm sure the ANA, Iraqi Army, or someone will receive donations in the near future. Or, they could simply go into the same warehouse holding the Ark of the Covenant.

The sapi plates just slide in, they would just be changing the carrier. There probably will be a shitload of handouts to other countries now though.

Perhaps it will be like the UCP switchover, where they wear UCP uniforms, but BDU camo helmets and vests...

The sapi plates just slide in, they would just be changing the carrier. There probably will be a shitload of handouts to other countries now though.

I know what they do, I wore the things.

Perhaps it will be like the UCP switchover, where they wear UCP uniforms, but BDU camo helmets and vests...

Maybe, but every Command Sergeant Major and First Sergeant in the Army would have a heart attack if they did. Their blood pressure and anxiety levels were very high when the uniforms were not uniform. Since they're just issuing for soldiers deploying to Afghanistan, there probably won't be any supply issues like 2003-04 and, since it hasn't yet been approved for general use, we won't see a long changeover period the way we did with the ACUs.

Right now, the only guys who would have BDU anything would be, at the very least, from the early 2000's and older. They would have to re-issue vests, re-issue BDU TA-50, alot of things are used and probably slightly worn out, and it would just be easier for them to issue everything in Multicam. Since it's quite awhile until the next rotation, apart from "surge" troops, there should be plenty of time to manufacture what they need.

Faceplam.

MC is only a temporary issue for soldiers going to Afghanistan. UCP isn't going away anytime soon. The Government has way to much invested into the ACU and it would cost the US Taxpayers a fortune to get out of the current ACU/UCP contracts and to license the MC. Not to mention it would be a waste.

I personally dislike (not hate UCP/ACU), but I hate MC even more. I do believe the Army needs to change the colors, but not the cheap cop-out of the UCP-D.

Faceplam.

MC is only a temporary issue for soldiers going to Afghanistan. UCP isn't going away anytime soon. The Government has way to much invested into the ACU and it would cost the US Taxpayers a fortune to get out of the current ACU/UCP contracts and to license the MC. Not to mention it would be a waste.

I personally dislike (not hate UCP/ACU), but I hate MC even more. I do believe the Army needs to change the colors, but not the cheap cop-out of the UCP-D.

Two things about MC I don't like:

1. The presence of Black on the uniform

2. The Cult status it has amongst children (adult-children or otherwise) and airsofters.

Airsoft Rangers! I agree with you Clavicula, every time I go airsofting, everyone is wearing MC with stupid morale patches or an obnoxious amount of them. I still wear my ACU, becuase I absolutely detest MC now.

Edited by suhsjake

Tests have proven MC to be more effective than current generation UCP/ACU, and more so than it's recent competitors. You can't simply not like a camouflage because of it's popularity. Surely that's having your priorities in a mess, even if you are ex-or-currently-serving US Army? :confused:

Have you actually worn and tested MC yourselves in the Army?

Edited by Zipper5

What a stupid notion, who cares what the airsoft kids do, that shouldnt make a difference to those who's lives can depend on it.

Tests have proven MC to be more effective than current generation UCP/ACU, and more so than it's recent competitors. You can't simply not like a camouflage because of it's popularity. Surely that's having your priorities in a mess, even if you are ex-or-currently-serving US Army? :confused:

Have you actually worn and tested MC yourselves in the Army?

Didn't say the uniform shouldn't be used. Changing to this uniform is the best thing the Army can do right now and it should become the general issue uniform. All I said was that I don't like the Black coloration, but it isn't too bad, and that I don't like the airsofters who sit around and try to identify every piece of equipment or gear they see in photos. So what? I also don't like Gear Queers and Geardo Fobbits, so what?

I have never worn Multicam, but I wish it had been issued earlier. This is a long time in coming.

I've never worn multicam. But honestly, I don't want to.

And I agree Cameron. AUSCAM FTW.

I've never worn multicam. But honestly, I don't want to.

And I agree Cameron. AUSCAM FTW.

yes US camo needs moar hearts and bunnies :D