Sign in to follow this  
x240xdrifter

Help! I just bought Arma 2 for my new laptop and it doesnt work!

I just got a new HP laptop and i figured it could handle the requirements of Arma 2

Heres the laptop in question:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+-+Espresso+Black/9700732.p?id=1218152460131&skuId=9700732

so excited, I took it home and installed it, and started it and disaster!

all I get is a wierd bunch of gray shapes which I assume to be a distorted menu screen everywhere and terrible graphics, so i tried boot camp, same thing! So i unistalled it and reinstalled it, and no luck. So i downloaded the patch 1.05 and no luck. So im pissed and plan to return it to best buy, which sucks cause this game seems awesome and i just want it fixed! any suggestions? im running windows 7 64 bit, could that be it? help me before i return this game!! aghhhh

It sounds like a graphics card issue. When I looked at the specs on that laptop it doesn't appear to have a seperate graphics card. It looks like it uses the motherboard and your ram to simulate a card, for my lack of a better way to explain it. From what I understand ArmA 2 requires a seperate graphics card as do most 3D games being released these days. Sorry to say but I don't think it is the game in this case:(.

Not even close to minimum specs man, sorry. You could maybe get away with that processor but never with an on-board video chip.

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD

are you kidding?

^This^

It never was and probably never will be a good idea to try state-of-the-art Games (not limited to ArmA 2) on a Intel Graphic chip.

Keep the Game, return the Notebook.

As they mentioned, even on minimum settings you may have problems.

That said, make sure you patch the game to 1.05 as that should get rid of the grey squares, performance is another thing though.

anyhoo heres a review of your igp;

http://pcgamingcorner.com/wordpress/?p=820

Quote from the above linked site:

Let’s get something straight – the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD is not designed to play games. Its purpose is to provide a low-cost, low-power integrated graphics solution that supports video playback and external monitor connections. While Intel continues to improve the performance of its integrated graphics solutions, its latest 4500MHD offering still is not suitable for gaming. Even at very low settings, the 4500MHD cannot produce the performance necessary for enjoyable gameplay in modern games – older ones like Counter-Strike: Source, yes, but newer ones like Left 4 Dead, definitely not. Gamers looking for a gaming notebook will need to look for a model that has a graphics solution like Nvidia’s GeForce 9600M GT. However, for everything else other than games, the 4500MHD isn’t a bad choice.

Nuff said, thread can be closed.