Sign in to follow this  
thomsonb

[SP] Flashpoint: Chernarus

Thanks so much for the customizing features. I've had some downright epic runs (inevitably resulting in death) by repeatedly restarting the game until I get weapons and (most importantly) weather that I like.

I just downloaded the new version, but the customise options dont appear...

great mission tho!, I have had some great moments.

I even managed to join up with a KA-52 team as it flew overhead :)

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Ignore that, it seems i was still running the old one , even tho i had deleted it.

really liking the new features.

Next update I will include customizable vehicles, sniper teams, helos and planes, so you can choose how many of each to have.

Good job joining a ka52! It's very hard to do ;)

Thank you thomsonb.

I also like the new features and I'm looking forward to the other changes you mentioned. I have played several missions on Chernarus in varying weather conditions with different parameters. The more I play your mission the more I use it to try out different toys, to practise ordering the AI around and to identify the uniforms of the different forces, etc. I could probably do this in the Armory but your mission generator is much more entertaining. And it is very easy to fire it up when there's not enough time for a long story-telling mission or campaign.

I realize that you created separate versions for Utes and Chernarus, so probably this won't be possible but I wonder if you could make your mission detect and work with community made islands, too. Also automatic detection of community made armies, equipment and weaponry would make interesting additions. But I have no idea if this would be possible and worth the effort. Have you thought about this, too, or is this just wishful thinking?

Hi Alpha-Kilo

Thats a very smart idea, and some of that i have already started working on :)

Im not sure yet how to detect addon units... maybe that will have to wait.

I have been thinking about putting all the scripts for Flashpoint: Chernarus into a Module, that you can acess from the mission editor, just like the BIS modules.

Putting this module onto any island, and not needing any other units, will make it super simple to port this to new islands.

One problem might be the script for placing the player at a random location on the island. Maybe for that i will need to make a library of each island and its coordinates...

Anyway i'l see how i get on! thanks for the feedback, glad ur enjoying it

B

Thanks, I love this version too :)

I have just one idea..

If you could make a truck filled with different supplies appear in a random group or maybe just driving around on it's own. The truck shouldn't be a common thing, and if it happens to get destroyed by gunfire, tough sh*t. In it would be various goodies such as GPS, satchel charges, mines, AT and AA weapons, the special weapons that we don't normally see etc. This should be a rare occurence, maybe a 5% - 10% chance of seeing it. It could be either OPFOR or BLUFOR.

I realise if I want those weapons, I could just start as an AA/AT/Spec Ops soldier, but that's not my point. Just to have the possibility of ambushing a truck and getting the stuff inside.

I have been thinking about putting all the scripts for Flashpoint: Chernarus into a Module, that you can acess from the mission editor, just like the BIS modules.

That would be cool thomsonb, been wishing I could play this with the artillery module, we could also use other modules like Secop right??

I'm testing out the bis modules with the mission, soon I will add an option to turn them on/off in the mission

:)

That would be brilliant. Would it retain the in-game options so it could be tailored to the editor mission?

That would be brilliant. Would it retain the in-game options so it could be tailored to the editor mission?

Yeah the mission will be unchanged; the module is just another way to run the same scripts

New Version Available

Version 2.4 Download

Now you can set the number of support groups; snipers light vehicles, armour helicopters and aircraft.

Also added "Apply Field Dressing" action when wounded. Thanks to Zipper5 for letting me adapt the script for this mission.

Cheers

B

many thanks for these missions, thomsonb. very cool indeed :cool:

for those of us who stick only with singleplayer, they are brilliant. now downloading 2.4

(for some reason Utes CTDs on me after about 10 minutes every time, but i suspect that i broke it, not you)

Thanks mate, glad u like the missions.

Let me know if u still have problems on Utes with this latest version.

Very cool new version. The sniper teams are great to have popping up. After hiding in some bushes waiting for a tank to roll past. I got up and tried again to move toward the randomized objective, only to find two enemy squads moving towards me. As I dug in to try and thin them down, the mighty 50 cal sounded off at a distance, and I could see some of my targets drop before I could fire. After the squads were destroyed, I tracked down the sniper team, had them join, and kept trying to move towards the objective. Some technical eventually got us later on, but great action on the fly.

Thanks again!

Well done once again. It can be hard to make a mission that utilizes the epic capabilities of Arma, but setting 100% to tanks and aircraft does the trick in seconds.

I think this version comes with some bugs, however. I use ACE2 and thus see all friendly units on the map as NATO icons, and after traveling a mile with friendly spawn rate set to 5, the map was cluttered with at least 30 of them. And the only enemies I could find were the odd helicopter. Additionally, I'm all but certain that planes and helis are spawning empty and crashing into the ground. Maybe the spawn chances of 90% and 50% are screwing up the script?

Thanks for the feedback guys

@ WeaponsFree Those sniper groups have been there all along, just now you can change their probablity, if they spawn in a good sniping place you can be in for a shock and sudden death!

@ Maturin

Thanks for he info about spawning, il do some more testing. When you set 5 groups that means there wil always be 5 frindly infantry groups spawned.

If a group is all killed, another 1 will spawn. Also if the group gets too far from the player, it is deleted and another 1 is spawned.

The key is that each time a group spawns, it can spawn a sniper team, a vehicle, an armoured vehicle, a helo and an aircraft. If they are all 100% then each infantry group will have 5 suport groups! the suport groups are not deleted so forcefully as the infantry groups. Maybe I need to delete them more strongly. I just thought it might be very obvious if a tank or helo is deleted, but infantry is far less obvious at that range.

Anyway il be doing some testing and fixing; The new options are pushing the limits of the scripts, so of course it will need tweaking :)

Cheers

Thomsonb - You've created a truly epic mission here.

It's quickly become one of my most played missions. While there might not be any objective (other than get to point X if desired) it's never dull, i've actually managed to play the same game for an hour or two and i still didn't lose interest. From town to town, battles everywhere, it's simply awesome.

The addition of the apply field dressing script has made it a winner in my eyes, the occasionally useless medics were the only thing that got to me, but now i don't have to rely on them to come and resuce me!

Something like this should of been included by BI themselves - But as it wasn't, thanks thomsonb :)

Hi nocturnal, thanks alot for your comments, glad ur enjoying the mission!

Thanks for the feedback guys

@ WeaponsFree Those sniper groups have been there all along, just now you can change their probablity, if they spawn in a good sniping place you can be in for a shock and sudden death!

@ Maturin

Thanks for he info about spawning, il do some more testing. When you set 5 groups that means there wil always be 5 frindly infantry groups spawned.

If a group is all killed, another 1 will spawn. Also if the group gets too far from the player, it is deleted and another 1 is spawned.

The key is that each time a group spawns, it can spawn a sniper team, a vehicle, an armoured vehicle, a helo and an aircraft. If they are all 100% then each infantry group will have 5 suport groups! the suport groups are not deleted so forcefully as the infantry groups. Maybe I need to delete them more strongly. I just thought it might be very obvious if a tank or helo is deleted, but infantry is far less obvious at that range.

Anyway il be doing some testing and fixing; The new options are pushing the limits of the scripts, so of course it will need tweaking :)

Cheers

That must have been it. And I agree that deleting aircraft too much would be noticeable. Friendly helicopters pop in abruptly enough already.

I am also not sure that the spawning distances are always respected. In the last version I came under fire from infantry 100m away seconds into the game, with the default 900m setting.

I came under fire from infantry 100m away seconds into the game, with the default 900m setting.

Hi maturin

The default spawn 800m is the furthest limit of spawn, and the default 200m is the close limit, so with the default values, it is quite possible for a squad to be 200m away at start, and quickly they could be even close to you

edit: What i mean is, if you set the 2 values to 500M and 1000M, all spawns will be in a circular donut shaped area around your position, between 500m and 1000m from you, im confusing even myself...!

I think i need to put some info text at the bottom of the setup screens, becasue its not immediately obvious what all the different settings do

Il go turn on my map markers debug mode and check the spawn settings anyway, im sure its not foolproof!

Cheers

Edited by thomsonb

Hi maturin

The default spawn 800m is the furthest limit of spawn, and the default 200m is the close limit, so with the default values, it is quite possible for a squad to be 200m away at start, and quickly they could be even close to you

edit: What i mean is, if you set the 2 values to 500M and 1000M, all spawns will be in a circular donut shaped area around your position, between 500m and 1000m from you, im confusing even myself...!

I think i need to put some info text at the bottom of the setup screens, becasue its not immediately obvious what all the different settings do

Il go turn on my map markers debug mode and check the spawn settings anyway, im sure its not foolproof!

Cheers

Oh... I thought one determined friendly spawn and one was for enemies.

Hello guys

Thank you all for your posts and messages, hope you enjoy this new version 2.5

I have just finished working on it, please download from here:

Flashpoint: Chernarus Download Page

Quite a few changes this time, and lots of bugs and slowdowns are fixed!

Please let me know how it runs for you...

Changelog:

v2.5

- Fixed: Helicopters could spawn too close.

- Fixed: Vehicles, crews and cargos now deleted striclty (low FPS and ghost vehicles after long journeys fix).

- Fixed: spetznatz AT soldier playerType was labeled grenadier.

- Changed: Group counts upto 20 now selectable (note: too many might be slow on your PC!).

- Changed: Map Compass and Binoculars are all random.

- Changed: Vehicles now spawn on roads (if any roads in the area).

- Changed: "Join Group" increased to 75metres.

- Added: "Join Group" units now automatically come to formation and set "aware" behaviour.

- Added: spawn range info text "min/max". (the two spawn values are for min and max spawn range, used for both sides).

- Added: New Death Camera and after death spectator mode.

Cheers

B

The new Version of the Campaign is not working for me.

The Campaign is not listed under Campaigns, instead the are to empty spaces.

When i try to start the Campaign i got the following error: "No entry.´campaigns\flashpointchernarus25.chernarus\description.ext.campaign.:confused:

Edit: It seems to be that there is something wrong on my side.

The same problem occurs with another Campaign i installed later.

Edited by Mr_Tea

This is great, it keeps getting better :D :D

Yesterday I was playing 2.4 and thought it would be nice if we could see our statistics after dying, and that's what I see today ;)

The new Version of the Campaign is not working for me.

Hi Mr_Tea,

make sure u install this in the ArmA2/Missions directory, not campaigns, cos it's just 2 seperate missions

cheers

B