Sign in to follow this  
Rayers12

Complete feature list of A2?

No matter how long I play A2, I always find little new features along the way, such as the M136 post. Does anyone have a list of every feature in A2?

By features, refering to the M136 post, what do you mean?

Any part of the game that you have found that is not well documented. I recently noticed that units tend to stick to the tree line when under fire.

Well, I think the devs claim to have quite advanced AI. Short of showing you the code for everything I don't know how you can get a complete features list. Reading the patch change logs is a good way to get an idea of what's going on, and opening the configs of stuff you're interested in will give you statistics for those items.

Ehhhh.... I never really found the A2 AI to be all that fantastic personally.

They are the best in any game I have ever played. In many situations, yes, they fail.

But I have never played a game where I am genuinely scared to encounter the AI. They will flank you and trick you, and when they gain the upper hand, you are dead.

In particular (and maybe this feature is augmented by 3rd party tweaks) I like the way I can shoot at a distant AI, and he will disappear behind concealment or cover. I really dig that. And, it seems to me, they use dead ground much more effectively too. That part might be conjecture on my part, but that's what it seems like.

@Rayers12: Good to raise that question, I think.

But before that: I love the AIs.

If they fail - aren't we all just humans? :o

Momentarily they have some desease - sometime need a five minutes to get into a vehicle, running around it ... before ... but I am optimistic this will soon be cured again by BI with the next patch. And they patch continously ... that's great.

But:

Isn't the Rayers12s question symptomatic and special for any BI Game? :o

You simply don't get a feature list ... I am asking myself the same question while doing BI games since 2001.

The biggest documentations like

Murphys Editing Guide (German),

Dslyecxis Arma2 tactics

the BI Wiki with e.g. all script-commands

- they are no "feature lists" in this sense I fear.

You can get an ACE2 feature list here which shows that it's not impossible to do it AND that every mod must do it on it's own again.

Sure there is a short feature list on www.arma2.com or in the textbook with the DVD and hardcore ones would say: "Wanna know what the m136 can destroy?? Take a look on wikipedia!" :D

But maybe for standard = unmodded = vanilla version of Arma2 it must be done by the community within the BI Wiki ... :eek:

Or maybe I simply failed to find it too? :cool:

Edited by Herbal Influence

For this - yes they are really good. Show me any game with the same AI skills that you can just drop in anywhere and they start taking care of themselves when they meet enemies etc.

They make decisions for themselves and are unscripted. They are advanced. I didn't say they were totally analogous to humans.

One thing I noticed is that the AI tend to get involved in friendly-fire incidents, such as shooting their own teammates when they get in their line of fire.

For this - yes they are really good. Show me any game with the same AI skills that you can just drop in anywhere and they start taking care of themselves when they meet enemies etc.

yeah i agree with this i just wish that they react under long range fire, it seems that if the ai is over a certian distance away from the shooter then they dont react, or if they do they just go prone.

another feature id like to see is the ai use is some smoke grenades to make them that much more effective

One thing I noticed is that the AI tend to get involved in friendly-fire incidents, such as shooting their own teammates when they get in their line of fire.

I've never seen that happen once. Odd.

I've only ever seen AI FF themselves when using explosive weapons, or when a SAW gunner gets up when firing a "burst" and the end part of the "burst" finds its way into a teammates cerebellum once he's standing.

However, this is A1 I'm referring to, haven't yet seen it in A2.

Believe me, my own team has a habit of running in front of my SAW gunner and it is annoying.

Do you have the ai dispersion set very high? Ive only seen it happen when i was experimenting with that and then it still only happened when i just ridiculously low numbers. (<0.45)

I've seen AI FF a few times but not enough to call it a fault. They do seem to continue firing while doing some other movement which sends bullets going all over the place. Helicopter gunners do that too but its not a big problem.

Generally I'm impressed with the AI. Quite a few times (when I've been close enough) I saw the AI I was shooting at go behind cover and lean out to fire.

Given the scale and complexity of the game the ARMA AI is the best there is. (you can't compare to pre-programmed corridor shooters)

As said before, the AI must be taken seriously in combat because they will work together to hunt you down.

Edited by EDcase

No doubt: the most challenging AI of all games, in fact the only thing that makes the difference in Arma2 is the AI skills, besides the superb graphics, moding possibilities is the cream on the cake in this case.

Show me a better one...and i mean true A.I. not just acting and sticking to local scripts.