Sign in to follow this  
alleycat

Lair of the camel spider (coop 20)

camel.jpg

Lair of the camel spider

A coop mission for ARMA2

Works with and without ACE

Mission Info:

The local insurgent force attacked the armor depot in Quesh Kibrul last night. They successfully aquired 4 T90 tanks. However since they have no qualified crews, they only managed to drive the tanks away from the depot and hid them in 4 different locations.<br/>Your mission is to locate each tank, and destroy it completely before the enemy can tow them away. The tanks have been parked at the following locations: One tank was parked in Abu Toulver. Two other tanks are somewhere around the market in East Kish-Kebrul. The last one is at the south-end of the airfield.

Main Objectives

1. Destroy 4 T90

Detailed description:

The plan was to create a realistic and challenging urban combat scenario, while at the same time keeping the enemy amount to minimum. (You will never fight against more than 30 enemies). Also time was spent to provide replayability by changing the probability of certain units. the entire enemy force power might change up to 70% each game.

And the enemy placement itself is something you might not have ever experienced in an ARMA2 mission.

Team roster:

1x Platoon command

2x infantry squads

1x recon team

1x HMV M240

(the mission commander is a separate unit in his own squad, ideal for organized coops. He is however not necessary and can be safely turned off in the slot selection)

Other info:

- Runs well on weaker pcs, because I avoided placing the action in larger towns.

- Has a working briefing and mission triggers.

- Quality placement of enemies. Every single unit is carefully placed by hand which provides challenging combat without resorting to overwhelming amounts.

- Very tight choreographed and yet unpredictable ambushes

- High replayability. 40% of the enemy force has various levels of existence probabilities.

- Ideal for coop players who enjoy combat in dense urban areas

changes:

v0.3

- replaced T90 with T72 tanks which makes them actually destructible

- added more possible enemy encounters

- increased unpredictability of all enemy encounters

- added more counter-active enemy encounters (some enemy units will actively assault favorite cover spots from multiple sides)

- changed USMC team structure: removed one man from one infantry squad and placed one independent M40A3 sniper in a separate squad. Added one more infantryman to one squad

- removed pre-crewed humvees

- added 3 empty humvees

- changed loadout of some enemies (be prepared for angry makarov wielding crewmen defending their vehicles)

v0.5

- Split into ACE and BIS versions. ACE version needs ACE to run, BIS works with and without ACE

- Increased players to 30

- Added certain ACE specific units to the ACE version

NOTE: v0.2 fixes the bug mentioned in the first 3 replies in this thread.

Download:

v0.6

http://www.tr-racing.de/arma2/camelspider06.rar

(2 files are in the download: BIS - Stock ARMA2 and ACE - uses ACE)

Addons needed:

QueshKibrul Island 2.0

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8698

Edited by alleycat

Not sure if you've had this issue but if you play with AI support (not enough human players) you instantly become enemy and they shoot you when you destroy one of the M1's.

Rich

I just re-tested that, the friendly units did not open fire against me. Did you possibly kill other friendlies with a satchel? Or if you used ACE2, kill someone with the backblacst?

Edited by alleycat

I had the same problem last night with AI on my team.

No AI were near the M1A1 and when I functioned the sachel that I placed, my AI team opened fire on me. None of the AI were wounded or killed. I think they see the tank as friendly and when you attack the tank, you are attacking friendlies. i didn't even destroy the tank. Try it using only one sachel. Other wise it look slike a great mission.

It's funny 'cause you go down wounded and they cease fire and your medic heals you and then they open fire as soon as you are healed again. I think they did this to me 4 times before they finally killed me :)

I was running as a local host and with the ACE and ACEX mods only (other than the island).

Edited by gnrnr

What it is is if an "Faction?" soldier destroys an vehicle of the same faction (even an empty one) it automatically makes that player red to friendly AI. It's an ArmA 2 issue, I've seen it on many missions, including domination. Not sure if there is a workaround or not.

I am going to change the mission so that it does use more neutral vehicles.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

Updated to v0.2 which fixes the bug.

Armaholic mirror:

removed link (outdated

Edited by alleycat

Looks cool, I'll definitely give it a try later on (do message me, if you would like to join in!) - thanks for sharing! :-)

It looks excellent so far! Just a few editing nitpicks...

A: You only need to use 1 "First Aid: Simulation" and 1 "Battlefield Clearance" module for everybody.

B: You don't need to sync each module to each unit. You can just sync to 1 person per group. Ideally the group leader. (But, you may need it for an MP game with players not in those slots. Though I have no ability to test this on my own.)

C: In your init.sqf, you're ID'ing groups that, to me, don't exist. Why not just ID them in-game? "this setGroupID ["Group"]"

D: You have a few mistakes you glazed over in the briefing and map markers. "Escape to theGas Station" and the M1A1 markers need to be T-90.

But why did you use NAPA? Why not the Chedaki? And setting pilots to be your demolitions guys instead of engineers.

Yup, neat mission indeed! It's rather tactical and triggers that typical paranoid "close quarter combat situation" feeling. It sets very high standards to the team on all-realistic settings with a reasonably demanding difficulty. Don't expect to reach the end here without casualties. I also love the performance on Quesh-kibrul. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Sorry, by the way, for the afk time, alleycat - a friend came over :-)

It looks excellent so far! Just a few editing nitpicks...

A: You only need to use 1 "First Aid: Simulation" and 1 "Battlefield Clearance" module for everybody.

B: You don't need to sync each module to each unit. You can just sync to 1 person per group. Ideally the group leader. (But, you may need it for an MP game with players not in those slots. Though I have no ability to test this on my own.)

C: In your init.sqf, you're ID'ing groups that, to me, don't exist. Why not just ID them in-game? "this setGroupID ["Group"]"

D: You have a few mistakes you glazed over in the briefing and map markers. "Escape to theGas Station" and the M1A1 markers need to be T-90.

But why did you use NAPA? Why not the Chedaki? And setting pilots to be your demolitions guys instead of engineers.

A/B: I have seen that all are needed in MP to avoid problems

C: Did forget

D: Replaced tanks with t90 because of a bug and forgot to change the marker

Demomen are crew guys actually

Hi there!

The mission seems to be very cool, I'm sure we're gonna try it with my friends.

Is it possible for me to unpbo it and port to ACE2? (replacing the USMC units to Army-ones with ACU, placing some ammo boxes, things like these)

Regards,

Beaver

Good Mission if there was a respawn or revive

I removed the (great) revive script by norrin because on the larger coop nights where the mission is played, it is played without respawning. I might release a version with the revive script at some time later, when the mission is final, because it is getting difficult to replicate the changes for the revive-versio every time I update it.

However there is still the BIS medic module in every mission which keeps you still in the game as long you are only hit by rifle bullets and someone comes to save you.

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

Updated to 0.6

alleycat, awesome mission! We really enjoyed playing that one. Thanks for your time in making missions for us to play!