Sign in to follow this  
DevilBass

Arma model limits?

Hello all! what is the limit into arma engine about model, face, points etc...

How many face will be best into they engine, and what is they end limits?

thanks!

Been discussed before, search threads.

From memory about 25,000 vertices is the limit, but very much depends on if they are SHARP or SMOOTH, because that dramaticly effects the ArmA(I and II) engine limits.

[APS]Gnat Yeah sorry about that, i dont shearch before make new threads :(

Ok then thanks a lot! so less then 25k vertice, will be more smooth!

32k vertices afaik (you could search, the reply was from one of the BI devs)

but what matters more than poly/vert count is the amount of sections (number of textures used per model), and the size of those. The lower the better in theory, but it is in fact a blance between optimization and quality.

IE: 1x 2048^2 texture is better than 2x1024^2 textures...

PS: every rvmat, paa etc is taken as a section

Edited by PuFu

limit is 32k vertices per lod. the mtvr truck has 32,697 vertices and 18,000 faces in the 1st lod and 18 sections

Edited by rstratton

I hate to highjack this thread but seeing that it is in the spotlight for poly count, would it be feesible to create a vehicle, and then a seperate object and use the attachto command to join the parts in one whole vehicle in order to overcome the poly count limit?

I hate to highjack this thread but seeing that it is in the spotlight for poly count, would it be feesible to create a vehicle, and then a seperate object and use the attachto command to join the parts in one whole vehicle in order to overcome the poly count limit?

use a proxy to attach parts.

32k verts is enough for a game model, especially if it is optimized. You can have the details baked as a normal map from a highpoly model to a lowpoly one.

Yes, you could use proxies indeed, which is the proper way of doing it instead of attachTo, but then again, you would put even more strain on the game engine and client's pcs.

Proxy..are you serious?!?!?! After all these headaches I've had!!!

Well the idea behind this particular item is that there will only be one in use, much less only one in a general area where if there was a second, it would be far away enough that the lod would have a low poly count. Can proxies be animated? If so, is the animation within the parent model's class and treated as same or does it need have to be its own object?

Proxies can be animated like any other selection. As example, for a Helicopter, you might model the rotor separately and add it to the main body as proxy. Then in the main body you treat the proxy as normal object.

Also if you're creating several different vehicles based on the same chassis, you may model the chassis once and then add the rest with proxies for different setups...you get the idea.

@Myke Exactly what I was thinking! Same model, same chassic, different setup. So I can assume that I can use the hide animation and that will prevent the hidden model's polys from slowing down the game?

@Soul Assassin So the proxy will be static within itself vs. useing the attachto command I can make this seperate object animated within itself such as doors or cannons.