Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator_2k

Just converted BF2 Player

Hi all

The nature of other FPS games is that they are more correctly called Ego Boosters (EBs). They get their return customers by convincing them they are heroes and uber soldiers.

ArmA II and its ancestor BIS's OFP have never done that. ArmA takes the Darwinian approach to gaining customers. KILL ALL THE ONES WHO DO NOT GET IT! When they stop dying they will have learned.

People who play EB type games think the AI should be stupid, hence the complaints about the AI in ArmA II being too hard or cheating. Standard ArmA II AI is already brighter than even an elite EB player, hence how many of their bodies furnish the ArmA II learning curve.

EB type game players also think if you hide behind a bush that stops bullets and that if they run behind a wall in the middle of field the enemy no longer knows where you are.

EB games teach you it is safe to stand in the middle of the road blasting away.

This negative training is why the military's use the Real Virtuality Engine (RVE) for training rather than the EBs like COD.

RVE is the complete opposite you have to learn to use cover and concealment and know the difference between them. The AI in ArmA II since 1.05 ACE and Zeus AI is almost as good as an ArmA Player, it slaughters EB players like blind sheep.

That is a big shock to those egos but the really hardcore ones stick it out and get over the hump. These converts make the biggest ArmA fans.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Thats why I always chuckle when I join a dom server and someone named "Administrator" (because they dont know how to change their name) is running around with a Barret trying to shoot people from 10 meters in the face. :p

Thats why I always chuckle when I join a dom server and someone named "Administrator" (because they dont know how to change their name) is running around with a Barret trying to shoot people from 10 meters in the face. :p

And the funniest thing is when they pull the trigger and the bullet goes over your head because the scope is zeroed at a much higher distance :D

I've been playing since the day the OFP demo was released. I've never got into multiplayer..

Looking at this thread, and ones like it, it seems I should give it another go - maybe join a group or something?

Not just for my sorry ass, but for every new player reading this thread, could someone suggest a good way in for absolute beginners who'd like to experience the full potential of this game?

I've been playing since the day the OFP demo was released. I've never got into multiplayer..

Looking at this thread, and ones like it, it seems I should give it another go - maybe join a group or something?

Not just for my sorry ass, but for every new player reading this thread, could someone suggest a good way in for absolute beginners who'd like to experience the full potential of this game?

Tactical Gamer or someplace like that, or a number of the milsim groups are a good place to jump in. A lot of the milsim groups run forms of basic training and classes that can help bring you up to speed and the people at TG are very knowledgeable and run good operations.

In Domination, aren't you supposed to shoot AI instead of people? :o

I'm a youth worker and work at a youth refuge. The other night I was showing the kids some in game clips of ArmA 2. One kid had to leave, and I quote, because it was "too full on and looks a bit too real for me". I was quite impressed and at the same time I could see where he was coming from. ;)

that kid needs to fix up otherwise he is going to live a very fragile life !

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Hi all

The nature of other FPS games is that they are more correctly called Ego Boosters (EBs). They get their return customers by convincing them they are heroes and uber soldiers.

ArmA II and its ancestor BIS's OFP have never done that. ArmA takes the Darwinian approach to gaining customers. KILL ALL THE ONES WHO DO NOT GET IT! When they stop dying they will have learned.

People who play EB type games think the AI should be stupid, hence the complaints about the AI in ArmA II being too hard or cheating. Standard ArmA II AI is already brighter than even an elite EB player, hence how many of their bodies furnish the ArmA II learning curve.

EB type game players also think if you hide behind a bush that stops bullets and that if they run behind a wall in the middle of field the enemy no longer knows where you are.

EB games teach you it is safe to stand in the middle of the road blasting away.

This negative training is why the military's use the Real Virtuality Engine (RVE) for training rather than the EBs like COD.

RVE is the complete opposite you have to learn to use cover and concealment and know the difference between them. The AI in ArmA II since 1.05 ACE and Zeus AI is almost as good as an ArmA Player, it slaughters EB players like blind sheep.

That is a big shock to those egos but the really hardcore ones stick it out and get over the hump. These converts make the biggest ArmA fans.

Kind Regards walker

You seriously need to get out more dude

In Domination, aren't you supposed to shoot AI instead of people? :o

AI are people too! :(

:p

:smiley-aloof:

I love the smilies here.

that kid needs to fix up otherwise he is going to live a very fragile life !

Sorry to drift off topic but this was a comment made without any thought process...

Mate these kids have lived in, and seen shit you could not imagine, so they are beyond fragile champ. It effected him differently due the life he's had.

Edited by Grub