Sign in to follow this  
charon productions

Mesh and texture issue

textprob1.jpg

Does anyone know what exactly the engine does not like, when it shows artifacts like this. It must be a problem with the lighting calculation.

Is it non-planarity, or 5-faced vertex ?

Unfortunately i see no other way to model that edge and prevent 5-faced vertices.

Hard to tell with that picture, but it could be the shadow LOD.

Planck

Hard to tell with that picture, but it could be the shadow LOD.

Planck

The problem is only on faces that are in the vicinity of a 5-faced vertex.

When i lower the edge point and delete the bottom edge, there is no artifacts.

I try to get around that by making the hard edge of the object with

another polygon, which is not very elegant, but i have no idea how to fix this differently.

textprob2.jpg

textprob3.jpg

Even on the untextured model, this is visible.

Could this really be due to the ShadowLOD? This is just one 0.00 LOD without ShadowLOD.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

This is weird, even a simple skewed box, shows this uneven texturing.

textprob4.jpg

textprob5.jpg

The fact that this happens with such a simple polygon makes me wonder.

It seems to be an angular orientation of a face, as this does not happen on a perfect 90 degree angled box.

Should i be missing something that needs to be done in oxygen to prevent this effect?

Edited by Charon Productions

@USSRsniper: Thank you very much, it is probably soft/hard edge related. I will experiment with hardening the edges to see if that removes the artifacts.

you may also need to recalculate the normals (F5)

The first pic you posted clearly shows how it depends on the hard/soft edges.

Imo it helps to undertand how it looks when you think the two neighboring polys are pieces of plywood/plastic etc which you try to turn bit towards the other face from that edge (to make it smooth). If you turn one end down, the other wants to turn up. So that face is no longer flat but curved. If the other edge is in contact with some face it begins to affect that too (which could be bad if it turns the other direction).

Basicly quads are not really quads but two triangles. If it looks bad, try to triangulate it manually other direction than the automatic triangulation (you can see it in hte pic what way it triangulates it). If it still looks bad try to reposition the faces (vertices) and/or make smaller faces near the smooth edge