Sign in to follow this  
superrat

Photoshop camo patterns

does anybody know where can i get diff. camo patterns for adobe photoshop

i've searched everywhere i made some cant use load them to photoshop {corrupt file} tried to resize them also wont work:(:confused:

type in google camo + tile

maybe word "tile" will help if you do units

or simply you must take photo and than paint it by hand using real photo as background (like majority do)

easy to do tiles exist, but you have to pay (buy) them

cause some graphicians put such files

what camo you look for ?

there is some camo that i got and convert them throug GIMP to pat. file but when i try to load them in my adobe photoshop it said corrupt file i dont know is there other way to load them to my p.s but it might be issue that adobe p.s doesnt have pat. plug in

Edited by SuperRat

I have made several camo "inspired" (they are not the real thing) by some real world counterpart in TGA format, you can get them in my signature, click on "Modder Ressource".

It is Modder Ressource Pack 5 .

The megaupload and Arma-FR mirror links are always working.

tnx sanctuary they'll come in handy

jackwood i know about build in camo creator in adobe but i want diff. shapes then reg. shapes of nato and so on

there is some camo that i got and convert them throug GIMP to pat. file but when i try to load them in my adobe photoshop it said corrupt file i dont know is there other way to load them to my p.s but it might be issue that adobe p.s doesnt have pat. plug in

Save the patterns as an image file (preferably one with no compression so it retains full quality) then just open it in Photoshop, go to Edit > Define Pattern. Tada, job done.

I have a question about that. I am quite noobish i ntexturing, but how to do that what most of addonmakers do:

You can put a new texture without removing/destoying the pockets and creases? How do you do that?

I have a question about that. I am quite noobish i ntexturing, but how to do that what most of addonmakers do:

You can put a new texture without removing/destoying the pockets and creases? How do you do that?

An example of the simple method i use to build the basic camo for the WW4 troops :

I have an already prepared "wrinkle" with pockest and etc... texture file thanks to the ressources provided by Macser, Wytchdokta and Wildcat :

clipboard02hj.jpg

I paint the camo texture i need :

clipboard01ha.jpg

In a program like Gimp by example (as it is a free software with very good possibilities nowadays) i paste the "wrinkle" texture as a new layer for my painted camo.

Then instead of the layer mode staying to normal, i select "Overlay" (or whatever would give me the best result) to merge both textures.

Then i toy around a bit with the contrast/light value of both layers, to obtain something like this :

clipboard03do.jpg

Now that's just the basic method for clueless beginner like me , but that's the basic trick you need, using Gimp (or similar kind of photoshop-like software), the trick is to paint your wrinkles, pockets , etc... in layers over the main camo, so you can control better what will be displayed.

Edited by Sanctuary

Hmmm, OK. But what to do if I dont have something like this, but normal CDF soldier texture. I first must create thoe "winkles". How to do this? If I know that step I will make it for sure.

Hmmm, OK. But what to do if I dont have something like this, but normal CDF soldier texture. I first must create thoe "winkles". How to do this? If I know that step I will make it for sure.

The way i do it is a process I call grey scaling. Which is where i basically draw the texture again from scratch over the top of the existing on in grey and then overlay the camo pattern on top of it. It's a long laborious process. Usually 3-4 days just grey scaling but I used to making textures from scratch anyway. If you want some advice and some good tutorials to be pointed at just yell at me.

@Aeneas

I am yelling for you! :D

Checking out some photoshop and GIMP related pages but I cant see anything currently.

EDIT: Got this, but video doesnt load: http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tutorials/tt/grayscale-conversion-mov.html#

@Sanctuary

By the way, how did you do this camo? I am currently well supplies in camouflage I need, but lets say I have to do American Soldier in ACU. HOw do I created such a camo, that is repeating (looping), but you cant find where it starts again?

EDIT: I found that in Photoshop, works great. But what to do If I have bad source. What is good source for any military stuff like camos.

Edited by SaS TrooP

In term of camo, i use mostly google image to see if i can get a pattern, then i paint an area that try to "look" like a pattern for a camo, and try to have that are being tilled manually so i can then repeat the zone for the whole texture (that's why none of my camos textures are the real thing as they don't use the exact pattern, but are more just inspired by them).

After that the problem is trying to find the right color tones, something difficult as photos usually have a various kind of lighting that may not be rendered the same when ingame (i speak only for the OFP engine that does not render the tones the same as what i see on my tga).

By example, on google i found this that looked to me a good pattern for my method :

acupattern0.th.jpg

So using this pattern as a template i painted that :

testacu2.th.jpg

Keeping those colors, i resized so the pattern was corresponding to my 512*512 texture.

After that i copy pasted the zone and put it next to it, reworked the junction so both area tilled together.

etc...

In the end i had my 512*512 texture, but after trying ingame, the colors were totally wrong, and standing out way too much, i ended then reworking the color, like in my previous post show, so it fits the OFP terrain a lot more.

But my methods are rather basic and certainly not that practical but i grew used to them, as i am not a good texturer at all it is better to ask the most talented folks for way better advices.

Edited by Sanctuary

I will definately check it. Only thing I just dont believe is that ArmA 2 textres are 2048x2048. Have fun with painting it! :D

But I will definately check it!

I work in OFP, 512*512 is good enough for this engine.

After all if you work on larger texture, you can always resize them later and rework the result for more precision.

In various photoshop/gimp/etc... there are usually several kind of resizing algorythm to lower the impact of the pixels mixing incorrectly.

In the case of digital pattern, an additional trick before resizing is to lower the amount of color to the strict minimum, by example in the sample of the camo i posted there are only 3 colors.

It allows then to avoid some more possible deforming problem during the resize, then after rework a reconversion to RGB colors should do it.

Are there any PSDs for CDF/USMC/Insurgents?

as in grey scales?...i could release mine i guess if i tidy them up a bit 1st.

as in grey scales?...i could release mine i guess if i tidy them up a bit 1st.

Yeah man, that would be really helpful to a load of people.

Yeh i want to finish up a couple of projects I got going on. Be aware they were made quickly for my own use so when i do release them they will be pretty rough around the edges. I'll also make a vid of how to quickly grey scale BI textures and post it on youtube hopefully that will help. Although all that will take me a little while.

not bad...have you overlayed your camo pattern onto the existing texture or are you just painting over the top of it with 100% opacity? the pattern looks good but atm it's a little too erm vivid is the wrong word i mean you really need the grey scales to see the texture of the cloth underneath as it were. Other than that though like i said the pattern looks really good!