Sign in to follow this  
wasserkool

Actual real life cockpit bullet protection for helicopter pilots

I've noticed in ACE 2 that airplane and helicopter canopies are now immune to smaller calibers like 9mm and 5.56, anything bigger will penetrate. IMO this is better than the vanilla system.

Some.

But it's being worked on. I think. :)

Hi all

Please use Search.

This has been investigated. On the Hind only the front glass plate is bullet resistant glass in reality. The curved dome including the sides of the navigater compartment is just plexiglass any pistol can and should be able to penetrate it.

I have tested the front armored glass plate of both the pilot and the navigator gunner of the Mi-24P Hind with pistols and other weapons extensively, it takes several clips of pistol ammunition from close range 10m to first shatter then penetrate the glass. AK74 takes one full clip to shatter then penetrate the glass. (At under 200m range)

The side plexiglass of the Mi-24 navigator compartment can be penetrated by a single pistol round and a kill shot achieved in 1~3 shots at short range 10m. The slightly stronger segmented side glass of the pilot compartment takes 1 full pistol clip plus additional rounds to achieve a kill though wounding from glass fragments occurs very quickly.

I agree with most of what you said but I have my doubts that the canopy bubble can be penetrated by a pistol round (at least by a single one - several ones in same place maybe).

Be aware that a "bulletproof glass" can or could be made of Plexiglass as well, for example the "bulletproof glass" that some WWII aircraft had (like in many bomber gunner canopies) were in fact made of Plexiglass. But of course it's not a common practice nowadays to use Plexiglass in "bulletproof glass".

And every document that I read about the Mi-24 says that the helicopter has bulletproof "canopy" as opposed to for example the Apache which says bulletproof "windshield" so it seems (at least aparently) that all canopy glass in the Mi-24 has bulletproof properties (but I also agree that the frontal glass should be much more resistant).

What I mean is that the Mi-24 side canopy should be resistant to low powered pistol rounds (even at short distances) and at long ranges it could even be resistant to high powered rifle rounds.

Edited by ricnunes

In the '97 North Hollywood shootout one of the criminals fired a 7.62x51mm Battle Rifle at the media helicopter. I think a few rounds went through, but no hits on personnel. .50 Machine Guns can be a serious threat to lighter models of choppers, no question.

I messed around with this in the editor awhile ago. I had a helicopter hovering and was able to bring it down by shooting the pilot with a 9mm pistol

I filmed the entire thing!

OBnrJoV2mZg

Is there anything Steven Seagal cant do?

I filmed the entire thing!

[YOUTUBE]OBnrJoV2mZg[YOUTUBE]

Is there anything Steven Seagal cant do?

This forum needs a hall of fame. This reply would surely get there!

I understand that due to engine limitation, the bullet protection for pilots in armoured cockpits are not rendered properly. For example, most of the larger calibre weapons can easily take out the pilot in the Mi 24 hind, KA52 or the Cobra...

I am wondering in real life, how much protection are there for pilots in these helos?

I crewed cobras up to the F model years ago and the engine has some armor on the engine doors, but not much. The pilots seats are made of the same type or armor material and there is a little bit on the sides of the pilot and gunner. All in all not gonna save your rear IMO.

However the real problem with the Cobra was the added weight it kept getting with modifications AND the engine be de-limited because of the transmission.

Edited by mrbinkels