Sign in to follow this  
tpw

Arma2 free look is ruining my other games!

The simple act of being able to look around, not in the direction of travel, and see ones own virtual body in Arma2 is just so compelling and realistic, and probably one of the things I like best about this game.

It's really starting to grate when I switch back to various other FPSs only to find that my gun magically follows my eyes at all times, and/or I'm a disembodied head on a stick with no shadow.

The only other game I've played recently that comes anywhere close to the Arma2 freelook is Mirror's Edge (a very stylish and interesting game in my opinion) - I wonder why more FPSs don't incorporate this game mechanic?

Know what ya mean...

And for the record, Mirror's Edge rocked. Just a pity it was a bit too short.

[...]The only other game I've played recently that comes anywhere close to the Arma2 freelook is Mirror's Edge (a very stylish and interesting game in my opinion) - I wonder why more FPSs don't incorporate this game mechanic?

That's why most of us were so impressed by the original Flashpoint back in 2001 already. It was hell of immersive back these days and you see it yourself, we have 2009 now, and there is only a limit amount of games, offering such an immersive feeling. 'Most' of them are BIS games. Think now for combining this with Track-IR and you will get a step closer to tooooootaaaaaaal immersion :icon_bash:

Yes, it takes a while for me to get used to not have trackir and it actually hurts my neck when I try to look around and "my head" doesnt follow.

Red Orchestra 2 will be made on a upgraded version of Mirror's Edge game engine, so it could have same features.

And for the record, Mirror's Edge rocked. Just a pity it was a bit too short.

So true. Mirrors Edge is awesome! I've always been too scared to say that here, so thanks for helping me "come out". :D

I think most developers don't bother with the whole "see your own body" thing because it's very hard to get it right. Putting a free camera 2m above the ground and attaching a pair of arms and a gun to it is just so much easier.

Hey, nice to have started a Mirror's Edge love fest :) The game may have had a few shortcomings (literally - it's too short), but it definitely had some innovative and exhilarating gameplay, a very stylish design, and great music and atmosphere.

Maybe someone can port Faith over to Arma2...

I liked the look of Mirrors edge. It was all so clean and nice. The game itself...eh.