Sign in to follow this  
granQ

Fuel, how long can you car drive?

Ok so most cars can drive a day without refueling.. more or less. Not that funny for us players is it?

So I will not make a long argument I will just say what we did for Operation Flashpoint and start a debate and encourage addon makers to consider this.

In SFP we made it like this:

#define SFP_FuelTank_CAR 50 (was equal to roughly 60 min)

#define SFP_FuelTank_APC 50 (was equal to roughly 45 min)

#define SFP_FuelTank_MBT 50 (was equal to roughly 45 min)

#define SFP_FuelTank_PLANE 110 (was equal to roughly 30 min)

#define SFP_FuelTank_CHOPPER 50 (was equal to roughly 45 min)

so, even if the values are basicly the same (and not saying same applies in arma2) the outcome was bit different, still not sure exactly how it is calculated.

Reason behind this. If you play a normal coop, which last between 30 mins - 1 hour there would be enough fuel for "everything". However if you start a Evolution or a bigger mission, logistics will soon be part of it. You need to refuel your vehicles which force you to plan and send supply trucks much more then in normal arma games.

We liked this a lot but haven't really seen it outside our addons for OFP long time ago.

So would like some input from people and is our values good? Too short, too long.

we have this for the Charlie Foxtrot tournament. Its alot more drastic than your values Q but we have done that deliberately. This is so that even after one operation one needs to start considering logistics etc. We find it most effective with aircraft and Armor.

From the changelog:

*Reduced CF vehicles fuel amount, (~30min running time land vehicles, ~15min air)

I like the idea of logistics for fuel as it makes movements more tactical. If you need help testing this on your server, let me know.

MickD, which sorts of missions you ran with that config?

I mean, 15 mins airtime isn't much, esp if you ran a "standard coop" mission that even might lack the possibility of refueling.

Not saying I think your values is too low, and much easier to make it for your squad when you make the addons, mission yourself, but yeah I am curious how far you can go to get the perfect balance, i think our values is good, as a "reference point"... but you don't get that much logistics compared to your values (good and bad)..

the idea i think rocks, and not much to say about it.. but the values, now thats could be a long discussion :)

I completely like the idea as logistics is a vital topic on todays Armies.

but the values, now thats could be a long discussion

Why not use RL values? Maybe not 1on1 but scaled down a bit.Take vehicletype that drives longest at once and take this as 100% (let's assume 2hrs). Now compare to other vehicletypes which may drive for only one hour which is 50% compared to first type. Now just scale it down by factor X by keeping relative driving durations.

Argh, this explanation is horrible to read, even for myself. Hope you get the point anyway. :p

Has anyone counted the fuel stations on Chern yet ?

So sad we have no better "fuel system" in ArmA.

I mean, how many liters are in a fuel truck?

How many fuel does a T-72, T-90, Abrams, etc need/consume?

Do vehicles consume the same amount of fuel when standing still or when on the move?

I really love the logistics part, can't wait for the RKSL Cargo system!

MfG Lee :)

MickD, which sorts of missions you ran with that config?

Its a tournament PvP gamemode. We dont use the CF Mod for COOPs (Yet!) but the amount was designed specifically for 3hr PvP gamemodes, not any mission going.

I mean, 15 mins airtime isn't much, esp if you ran a "standard coop" mission that even might lack the possibility of refueling.

As I said above, its not meant for generic coops missions for public server, its for a very specific purpose within our tournament. Thats the real difference.

Taking for example, the 15minutes airtime. Right now we only have transport aircraft. 15 minutes of fuel is probably 1 very safe insertion or 2 partially risky insertions with respect for fuel. Ground vehicles is around 30minutes. However our style of play means that will likely have to refuel along the way at one of the fuel stations or set up a FARP along with way. The real point of these really strong fuel limitation is for heavy weight weapons i.e Attack Helos, Jets or Armor. This means that they are no longer limited purely by ammunition alone. This means they have to be very precise about targeting or patrolling. In addition to this (and in many respects more important) it gives infantry a bit of a break from the air/armor power.