Sign in to follow this  
JuggernautOfWar

Anti-Aliasing Differences

There are no numbered AA settings.

I'm guessing you mean the 3D resolution.

3D resolution selects at what resolution the 3D image should be rendered at. The rendered image is then taken and resized to fit the actual overall resolution.

There are no numbered AA settings.

I'm guessing you mean the 3D resolution.

3D resolution selects at what resolution the 3D image should be rendered at. The rendered image is then taken and resized to fit the actual overall resolution.

yes there are...at least on my copy. For options I have disabled thru very high; then underneath I have 5,6,7,8. Not sure what the differences are

Yes there are - in the antialiasing menu you can choose between:

Normal

High

Very High

i have wondered what 5,6,7,8 means too ?

My best bet is that its the Q-antialiasing in the nvidia-drivers.

Maybe only nvidia users have this feature ?

That's weird, what version are you using?

I have the 59323 beta build.

It's on all versions. Do you have an ATi card?

I think so as well. I've always had the numbers since ArmA1.

The numbers will only be there for some people due to their cards having more AA modes to choose from.

ATI cards also have other AA modes but they need to go into the Catalyst Control Centre (CCC) to choose them.

Personally I set my 4870 to edge detect mode and set AA to low in-game. I also set adaptive AA to performance (same as transparency AA for Nvidia).

I hear adaptive AA is supposed to be very demanding but with AA on low it seems to give better performance than the standard box mode.

what level do u set the 'edge detect' at? ive refrained from messing around w/ the card settings since ive yet to really choke it out but i want to tweak arma 2 as much as i can for performance + quality. ive got oc'd & turned on 'edge detect' (whatever that is) but ive got it set to 8x right now. i take it if you turn AA off in the game it will override the GPU settings & disable it completely even tho 'use application settings' is unchecked?

8x? That would just be unplayable for me. I leave it at "Application controlled" and set AA to low in-game, which is equivalent to 2x. Any higher just brings down performance too much, even though it looks great.

ah ok i see. i thought to put it in 'edge detect' mode u had to uncheck application settings.

Wonder if the AA issue will be fixed or if the only option for good looking "AA" usage means buying a heavy PC capable of 200% 3D render.

I know BIS said before activating AA that "if you can live with some artifacts..." wich we ofcourse wanted.

Im thinking of the transparency where AA is applied on objects when seen against smoke/sky etc.

Wonder if the AA issue will be fixed or if the only option for good looking "AA" usage means buying a heavy PC capable of 200% 3D render.

I know BIS said before activating AA that "if you can live with some artifacts..." wich we ofcourse wanted.

Im thinking of the transparency where AA is applied on objects when seen against smoke/sky etc.

Turn on AA transparency then...

ATM I personally use 150% 3D render and high AA on my 4870x2, disabling adaptive AA in the CCC. Runs fine and looks very good :)

i run ati card and i have numbers
? i would like to see that. There has never been numbers in the Game options for ATI hardware? I have all three versions.Steam,>DE,505. the french site will give the bestlittle info on ATI and NVDAs AA in game.http://www.hardware.fr/articles/770-13/dossier-amd-radeon-hd-5870-5850.html

i seem to have found a decent sweetspot of settings w/ my 4870, everything on very high except terrain (normal) postprocessing (high) shadows (high) and AA (low). i also changed the CCC settings to what maddmatt suggested and dropped the resolution to 1536x(whatever). it runs smooth most of the time; but not ideal. the eye-candy however is amazing. im sure if i do upgrade to a 5870 i can run this puppy maxed out like silk, but the 4870 does a surprisingly great job. now to find a workable solution to the popup & im a set.

ive found that for me, the antisotropic filtering + postprocessing are what really make the engine. i guess its lucky with my current card that cant handle this game w/ AA maxed that i still havent really figured out exactly what AA does on any game, but everyone seems to think its important! oh well if its required for something like smoke transparency & thats enabled on my card now, thats cool.

ATM I personally use 150% 3D render and high AA on my 4870x2, disabling adaptive AA in the CCC. Runs fine and looks very good :)
I get very little IQ improvement from AAA in the CCC. And all "regular" CCC AA settings (even 32x) is worse than 4x in game. Would like to try the new 5870s SSAA, but will wait for the X2 version's. Also you can set the AF in the CCC to 16X, looks better than the ingame veryhigh(8X) Edited by kklownboy

I get very little IQ improvement from AAA in the CCC. And all "regular" CCC AA settings (even 32x) is worse than 4x in game. Would like to try the new 5870s SSAA, but will wait for the X2 version's.

I don't think you'd notice a huge improvement in quality with the 58xx series because this game doesn't use Direct Compute 11, 10.1, or even 10.

I don't think you'd notice a huge improvement in quality with the 58xx series because this game doesn't use Direct Compute 11, 10.1, or even 10.
But that has nothing to do with SSAA...What i do see is that a 5870 is ~= to one of my 4870X2's. And is cheaper at launch, use less power and is much more quiet. Soo when i get two 59XXx2's, i will have the power of 8X a 48701GB... and maybe can use full SSAA.

But that has nothing to do with SSAA...What i do see is that a 5870 is ~= to one of my 4870X2's. And is cheaper at launch, use less power and is much more quiet. Soo when i get two 59XXx2's, i will have the power of 8X a 48701GB... and maybe can use full SSAA.

What kind of CPU/RAM you got?

Turn on AA transparency then...

EDIT. Doesnt help. And even if it did it would take more FPS away. Hence the why i wondered if BIS will ever get it sorted. So that we dont have to make workarounds.

Everyone using ONLY AA have artifacts with it in ARMA2. If you use the render fill it will go away.

This is old news.