Sign in to follow this  
zeep

ARMA2 mod focused solely on infantry and CQB

What i would like to see is a mod that focuses primarily on realistic infantry gameplay. One that gives ARMA2 CQB qualities which it currently doesn't have, or not to the fullest.

See it as a very realistic infantry simulation.

- Good (CQB) control of player (less clunky than it is now).

- Weapon collides with world.

~Making resting weapon on solids for steady aiming possible

- Player chooses own loadout.

- Slow down the current fast proned turning.

These are just things to improve from the top of my head. There's much more and many things would have to be discussed / tested etc..

A central gamemode would be something like this:

- 2 teams, humans vs humans.

- Team A has to defend an area and B attacks.

- Details can be numerous; defend a crashed heli, protect hostages, defend a small military base/secrets.

- Teams spawnlocation / maplocation is chosen random each round. That way you never know where the attack comes from.

I would like the mod's main objective to be just accomplishing most of the above. Solid realistic overall infantry gameplay with a good replayable gamemode.

Vehicles are not important (to code) at first. I'm sure they will add many more dimensions to the gameplay when used.. But lets just get the infantry and CQB part right for now.

Who would be interested in such a mod? I'd like to get some suggestions from coding / modding experts on what can-, and can't be done. Eventually i want to get a mod team together and start this project.

It's not that i want to be in charge or anything, i just want a team effort going if there's interest and likeminded people around. :)

My inspiration for this mod comes from Infiltration mainly. Please, if you've read this far, check out the movies and review of Infiltration to get a better idea of what i'm on about. The link is in my sig.

*edit show sig*

Edited by zeep

Some parts already have been made.

The main issue is to get people actually do hard work to improve it - do you also intend to work hard for it?

I understand what you mean by getting people to do work, that's why i think it's better to work with people who share the same interest. If they're as motivated by the end goal as i am then i'm positive towards actually finishing it.

Ofcourse i am willing to hold up my end. I can't code, but i do have experience with code in general and i'm sure i can learn to read the code necessary for ARMA2 so i can help bughunt etc. Same goes for scripting. I'm positive that i can learn my way around commands etc. Basicly everything i can do to help others acomplish the mod i will do.

My profession is producer, musician and engineer. I operate in the digital domain and i make my living working for myself so i can be very flexible with time. If anything i can produce music and soundfx / weapon sounds etc. But that's easy and of little importance at the moment. Also i am willing to pay for server rent to test stuff.

Alright. Lets get to the details:

Care to explain. Rocko and I made an addon in a1 to make movement in close areas

possible. There was no interest for this in a2 it seems as people didn't provide any info.

ACE and ACE2 has done that.

What's that?

Rather easy to tweak. Needs finding the (various) animation transition names and tweak

their speed.

More details needed. Here comes the work part.

It is not that hard to debug the animation and/or transition names as a start.

Either speeding them up or to repair broken ones is what needs to be done.

To find the error and tweak can take several hours for each problem.

Isnt that also in ACE2? Was in ACE1.

Care to explain. Rocko and I made an addon in a1 to make movement in close areas

possible. There was no interest for this in a2 it seems as people didn't provide any info.

Whoa, I must have missed this, because I would LOVE this feature.

I made a thread with this in mind exactly, actually. Of course, I have no coding experience, so it was just an idea.

I definitely want a mod like this. The "animation-bound" movement is too clunky for anything CQB-related.

What i would like to see is a mod that focuses primarily on realistic infantry gameplay. One that gives ARMA2 CQB qualities which it currently doesn't have, or not to the fullest.

See it as a very realistic infantry simulation.

These are just things to improve from the top of my head. There's much more and many things would have to be discussed / tested etc..

A central gamemode would be something like this:

- 2 teams, humans vs humans.

- Team A has to defend an area and B attacks.

- Details can be numerous; defend a crashed heli, protect hostages, defend a small military base/secrets.

- Teams spawnlocation / maplocation is chosen random each round. That way you never know where the attack comes from.

I would like the mod's main objective to be just accomplishing most of the above. Solid realistic overall infantry gameplay with a good replayable gamemode.

Vehicles are not important (to code) at first. I'm sure they will add many more dimensions to the gameplay when used.. But lets just get the infantry and CQB part right for now.

Who would be interested in such a mod? I'd like to get some suggestions from coding / modding experts on what can-, and can't be done. Eventually i want to get a mod team together and start this project.

It's not that i want to be in charge or anything, i just want a team effort going if there's interest and likeminded people around. :)

My inspiration for this mod comes from Infiltration mainly. Please, if you've read this far, check out the movies and review of Infiltration to get a better idea of what i'm on about. The link is in my sig.

*edit show sig*

In my opinion To get CQB decently working we need at least:

1) having AI spotting bugs fixed;

2) Having AI leaders not rushing into enemy / stay in touch with group;

3) AI should rely MORE on peeking from cover;

4) AI should be careful when crossing roads and more aware of surroundings (eg. more frequent/wide right and left glancing and having units stopping at building corners)

5) We need WAY WAY WAY MORE enterable buildings!

Something can be scripted, but most of these things require BIS effort i think ...

Edited by fabrizio_T

you try to put mod into way Arma was not designed ?

Arma, OFP were designed to open field battles

no they were not. in ofp the anims/transition were simply not broken.

(and other aspects better tweaked)

I was thinking of several uses and possible aspects of the game to be improved by making a weapon collide with (present in) the world.

First thing, ability to stablilize weapon. Second, to possibly be a first step towards actual weapon awareness in-game. So that you have to lower the weapon manually when stepping through small areas / sidestepping out a door etc. Consequently while implementing this feature, i thought it would be a way to adress the clunky CBQ movement by making the collision 'cone' of the player smaller, thus helping him move better in CQB.

This isn't based on any facts other than my own experiences and thoughts in the game. So i need to learn more about this.

ACE and ACE2 has done that.

I didn't know. It seems i have to give ACE2 a shot soon.

What's that?

Basically like the ammo crates. But then i ment a loadout menu that works offline too. A player can set a number of favorite loadouts and switch/select them easily before starting a round. He can make changes etc online aswell as offline.

Rather easy to tweak. Needs finding the (various) animation transition names and tweak their speed.

Thats great. The current turning speed is too fast.

Yes i figured this would be a hard task. As you can see i touched upon this issue with the weapon collision part too. The problem is, i don't know exactly what makes the movement feel clunky. I'm not sure what all the factors are. I think the players collision conesize plays a factor. It seems as if the player + weapon are inside the current collision cone. Is that correct? It was a way to explain the feeling i get when i'm moving around inside a building in ARMA2. It's like i'm a refrigurator!

Did i explain from your answer that the way the players animation goes also has influence on the movement 'feeling'?

Thanks for helping me raise issues and thinking along a bit kju.

I miss yurch.
Me too!

(Yurch modded Infiltration back in the days to enhance the realism of weapon handling etc and various game tweaks back in the days.)

You can lower the weapon to get closer to walls or get through small places.

Its not auto lowering and bringing up. So rather annoying to use.

> own loadout

That must be made in the mission. Not possible to make that an addon.

Turn speed tweak will be out by Rg someday soon (trueMods pack).

The core problem is that the environment does not influence your body.

It is only very static blocking interaction. Nothing that really can be done about that

I think.