Sign in to follow this  
Relemar

why no respitartors

why no repirators for the pilots? do they need them in harrier, i thought they did?

when is the condition that they need them? high altitude? or high speed?

Right. There was a nice mod for A1 (forgot the name) that added jet pilots.

because the air is thinner, the oxygen is purer and that can kill you.

The end result is the same, but the reason is exactly the opposite: At high altitude you won't be able to get ENOUGH oxygen out of the air.

Wiki has something more on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoxia_(medical)

With proper acclimatization it's of course entirely possible to attain these high altitudes, for short periods of time, even without the use of supplemental oxygen. Man has even been on top of Mt.Everest(8840 m) without it, but such feats require weeks of acclimatization and an exceptional physical condition with suitable genes.

Edited by Fincuan

Does ArmA has a stock feature that a non helmet pilot dies due to lack of oxygen?

->No, so feature versus realisme i say there is your answer why they didn't include a fighter pilot with repirators.

Seriously...nah, won't tell you why they probebly didn't add it as you would laugh at me (not kiding).

Anyway, now if a 'realisme' mod would make a feature that when a guy without repirator mask get in a plane and fly at high altitude, he blacks out or even dies. Well then it would be a good choise to model that. At the same time, would add a safety feature for server so 'noobs' don't highjack the planes. But maybe a presure suite feature would need to be included.

just to make it clear: pure oxygen at higher-then-sea-level pressure is toxic, yet at a low pressure environment it is used as a replacement of sea level pressure normal air

Does ArmA has a stock feature that a non helmet pilot dies due to lack of oxygen?

->No, so feature versus realisme i say there is your answer why they didn't include a fighter pilot with repirators.

Seriously...nah, won't tell you why they probebly didn't add it as you would laugh at me (not kiding).

Anyway, now if a 'realisme' mod would make a feature that when a guy without repirator mask get in a plane and fly at high altitude, he blacks out or even dies. Well then it would be a good choise to model that. At the same time, would add a safety feature for server so 'noobs' don't highjack the planes. But maybe a presure suite feature would need to be included.

Yea I don't see anyone complaining about doing high G maneuvers without a G-suit on.

There is already a unit addon with 2 models i think. Respirator and visor. looking real cool. You cant see it on yourself however if i remember it correct. But you see your buddies/AI with it. I remember you had to chose respirator etc from the profile page - same as glasses. Little annoyance, but there it is.

And like Thirdup says - it will come more. Patience padawan's.

The end result is the same, but the reason is exactly the opposite: At high altitude you won't be able to get ENOUGH oxygen out of the air.

Wiki has something more on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoxia_(medical)

With proper acclimatization it's of course entirely possible to attain these high altitudes, for short periods of time, even without the use of supplemental oxygen. Man has even been on top of Mt.Everest(8840 m) without it, but such feats require weeks of acclimatization and an exceptional physical condition with suitable genes.

Ahh yes, i couldn't remember the exact details, but it was something along those lines. But thats what i basically said, the air is thinner (less oxygen).

To be more precise there is not less oxygen at altitude but the molicule particles are spreadout farther and so the air is thinner but still has same amount of oxygen.

FAA recommend oxygen use above 5000ft msl for day flight and 3000ft msl for night (your eyes use lots of oxygen, more at night) and mandate pilots above 12,000ft msl and all persons provided with ox above 15,000ft msl.

I think if you go to 15,000 in ARMA you wont see a thing cept fog.

Also, Harriers are a low level attack aircraft but the F22 should have ox.