Sign in to follow this  
neojd[ny]

Artefacts and Graphic Bugs till crash Poll

I do have this graphic bugs and I use...  

93 members have voted

1. 1. I do have this graphic bugs and I use...

add me to the list, i just had this artifact/graphic problem for the 1st time. i thought it might be my card overheating but the temp was 50c which is fine.

havent had this problem before 1.04 so the patch is lookin like a likely culprit.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (OC'd to 3.4ghz)

BFG GeForce GTX 260² (GTX 260-2) OC MAXCORE 896M

2GB ram 800mhz

Gigabyte S775 Intel P35 GA P35C DS3R rev 2.0

Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio 24BIT S/Card 7.1 OEM

Viewsonic 24IN LCD WIDE VA2413WM 1920X1080

550W PSU

windows xp 32 bit

;1449095']Ok thats makes some kind of sense.

Ok check this out' date=' i got a GTX 285 1gb ram

ArmA 2 config:

localVRAM=2145822464;

nonlocalVRAM=2145822464;

semse like its detecting 2gb for my card right?

i use the -maxmem=2047 string, but thats not infect my (non)/localVRAM right?[/quote']

Yes Neo - it sounds like it...

(... and, Yes - the maxmem switch is for SYSTEM memory)

Could you try setting Video Memory in Video Options to, say... "High" instead of "Default" - and play for a while - see if the artifacts DON'T happen???

B

Edited by Bushlurker

@ Bushlurker and anyone else:

Ive tried out setting the Videomemory to Very High (1GB by Bushlurkers theory)

BEFORE that i played an editet mission (freedomfighters) and flew about 10min, then like i was expecting, i became artefacts and then the crash.

But with the Videomemory to Very High setting, i was flying about 1 hour now and no such problems:eek:. Everyone should try this out!

I also use the new nvidia beta driver wich i had postet before!

Bushlurker! God bless ya m8 :yay:

So BIS needs to patch the wrong detecting of the video cards.

by the way i use a GTX 285 with 1 GB

Edited by NeoJD[NY]

Ive been playing with great success, combination of new nvidia driver 191.03 and Proper game tweaks. Ive had no graphics bugs only some z-fighting but which is an unrelated issue anyway.

I set my video memory to default, gtx295.

Same here nvidia beta driver 191.03 finally solved that issue!

Nevertheless the game still freezes sometimes during autosaves. Hope we'll soon get a fix for that issue as well.

Really? Only using 191.03 didnt helped me, same problem. But with videomemory to very high its solved so far.

maybe its detecting the vram with the new driver correctly...

"the game still freezes sometimes during autosaves"

Hehe, yes i got that too. ArmA 2: If you even fix your hardest bugs, there will be always another one :D

Edited by NeoJD[NY]

Well it came back 2x today, the big white triangles, while playing online. I had been playing for about one hour. I managed to fire off FLUSH command 1st time and all was good, was too slow 2nd time and game crashed.

It is a lot less than before but once is too much!!

Well it came back 2x today, the big white triangles, while playing online. I had been playing for about one hour. I managed to fire off FLUSH command 1st time and all was good, was too slow 2nd time and game crashed.

It is a lot less than before but once is too much!!

Again, I set Video Memory to Very High and it fixed the problem for me 100% so far. I highly recommend trying Very High rather than Default or High with a 295.

Set Vid Mem to Very High last night and had no graphics corruption. Fingers crossed it stays this way!

Just tried the beta nvidia drivers there and still no luck.

I've been running on Very High vid mem ever since I installed too.

I've never seen this in other games, but no not artifacts or weird polygons, it looks more like zigzaging grey lines all over and the higher I'm up the more of the shore becomes like that.

So you're saying it's a driver or graphics card problem? I see it as something that needs to be corrected in the game.

yeah I think you're talking about z-fighting. It's something we all have to deal with as there's no fix either from BIS or Nvidia. Like I said it's not strictly an Arma2 problem as I get it in other games like GTA4, FarCry 2, and even a little with STALKER. It's just not as bad/noticeable in those games

That's pretty scary looking graphics corruption!

It's NOT like the effect the OP and, as far as I know, others in this thread are experiencing though!

How is your graphics card temperature Paelleon??

B

Hi, thank you for your concern. :)

Unfortunatly I did not checked the temperature that time. ARMA2 is the only game that give me problems. I still have installed all BIS game (yes, OFP too :D ) and the run like charm!

What I can say Is that ARMA2 CTDs more often while switching to map. Oh, another question: is there a way to load the map without the textures, they takes ages to load, one map square at a time? Chartographic OFP style will be perfect, OFP interface was nearly perfect, why they changed it?:mad:

My Video memory setting was always VERY HIGH (you see, with 1.7GB on the video card...), but I did not tried the Nvidia beta drivers yet.

Supreme Commander (a true pain for the CPU and GPU) runs perfectly at 1680x1050. Oh, I have a 22'' LCD and this is the resolution for all my games, including ARMA2.

I have the same problem using patch 1.04. I'm using a GTX275 with a I7-860 and 6GB ram on Windows Vista 64 bit.

When I have video memory set to default I get the graphical artifacts until it crashes.

When I set it to high the game runs fine for some while and then crashes without the graphics going nuts.

When I set it to very high the game runs fine for a few minutes until I'm fully surrounded by low polygon models. I dont know if it then will also crash after some time as I did not play on as after some time the only things being shown is grey blocks which might or might not become buildings.

My other pc, which is a AMD64 x2 6000+ with a GTX260 and 2GB ram running Windows XP 32 bit runs the game fine. Also using patch 1.04 there and have video memory set to default. It detects the video ram fine there while its same amount as the other pc.

No graphical artifacts there whatsoever or other glitches apart from the normal z-fighting of textures.

Both pcs use the 191.07 drivers.

Edited by DokiDoki
Video driver version added.

I have the same problem!

GTX 275, I7920, 6G Ram

Since i have disabled the Vista Aero, ArmA II runs more stable as before.

Sorry for my bad english ;)

I have the same problem, that flickering/artifacting about every minute.

I had this since the demo, but I managed to fix it somehow while playing with the settings in Catalyst Control Center (I am an ATI owner) as well as the settings in game. I have no idea what I did to fix it, but it worked fine for about 3 weeks, then came back as bad as before.

Usually right before it happens, I see random pieces of shadows on everything like in the video below.

wfGea5Bl5I0

(made by 1983ginger123)

Other times I get the shadows for much longer before the artifacting occurs.

When the flickering/artifacting occurs, mine looks exactly like this:

1SitcAf48zA

(made by redlike)

My artifacting is also the exact same like in the first video (1983ginger123) at 40 seconds.

I have:

ATI radeon HD 4850 (Is at Version 9.8, even though 9.9 is released, I heard it makes no differnce)

XP Service pack 3

3070MB RAM

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz (If this helps) (64 bit)

Every other game works fine other than Arma 2.

(I don't know if I am all the needed specs)

I am pretty sure this is an issue on both ATI and Nvidea. There is a thread that is 75 pages long that is stickied here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73235 Unfortionatly, BIS has not yet mentioned a fix in an upcomming patch or even acknowledged it as a major problem as far as I know.

What is also very weird is I can run the game perfedtly fine on a differnt computer with another 4850 and 2gb of ram. The only differnce between main differnce between the two PCs I think is the processor, although I am not sure what type it is.

Edited by Abc94
Addition Information

Hi all, i had the same graphic-errors during a long period in Arma1 in 2007 (many others had them too).

I had them only in Arma1, but could play other games like Stalker & Co. just fine. During that period in 2007 i tried everything with 100s of different drivers and settings, and i could indeed delay the popping-up of those errors, however eventually over time the errors increased and other weird errors like 1000s of small colored spots appeared over the whole scenery.

Later it turned out that the graphics-card was slowly going broken and possibly only Arma1 was so demanding that it could create those bugs at the beginning.

I have the same problem as palleon, when i get crazy textures

core 2 quad @ 2,66

4gb ram

asus engtx275

temp of the gpu is around 50°C when it happens, could that be it?

EDIT: it is not temperature related, must be memory: i have a spar side panel for my fig, with a 120mm fan mounted on it, which blow right on my grafics card: temperature a full load did never exceed 40°C, after 20mins, guess what: texture problem!

Edited by Varry

Things to try:

Turn of HT (dunno if that has anything to do with this but it's worth a try)

Use the command line -maxmem

Try all Video memory settings from low to very high

Disable PhysX

Force off Vertical Sync

Use latest graphic drivers

Use latest DirectX

did all those things already exept:

Turn of HT (dunno if that has anything to do with this but it's worth a try)

Use the command line -maxmem

will try it

yep I am getting the artifact issue and crash/bod :(

using windows vista 64

8800gt 512

athlon 5200+ dual core

will try on win xp tommorow (dual boot) & not looking forward to download 4+ hours, but will see how it goes

has anyone found a stable driver on vista 64 yet?

did anyone have this happen on the demo?

I did with driver 178.13, but updated to the latest 191 and the demo ran fine, but the full game does not

all very strange and not sure what else to try now

i fixed my crashes and artifacting problem by setting my memory in game to default, and my textures to High... The problem went away completely for me. It used to happen every ten minutes on large scale missions and 20 minutes or less on small scale missions.

what happens with mine is that I get strange green/purple/red snow and then it crashes, I usually get a BOD

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

does anyone get a bod with a nvlddkm.sys error message (it is a nvidia .sys file) ?

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

I will try what you have tried jackhorner, but not holding out much hope at the moment

ok have tried default video memory setting and also high texture settting, still get the graphics crash :(

am going to try the 182 driver and if that fails the 186

something strange is going on with the graphics drivers

I am also not getting any arma2.rpt files so the game itself is not crashing

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

is this .cfg right?

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=48387;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1280;

Resolution_H=1024;

refresh=75;

Render_W=1280;

Render_H=800;

FSAA=1;

postFX=1;