Sign in to follow this  
neojd[ny]

Artefacts and Graphic bugs, unplayable

So, i didnt played ArmA 2 for a while cause I thought its better to wait till all the patches are out. 1.04 is relased and Oh my ArmA 2 is cool and makes fun...

But! I dont know why :confused: but at night, or when its getting kinda dark (late afternoon) the game gets very laggy and i recive strange graphic bugs and artefacts. I tried making a screenshot but that didnt worked well so i decided to make a mobile vid and upload it on you tube.

However, the graphic bugs appeard the game goes laggy and then it crashs.

Its about after 5min gameplay and i changed my gc drivers from 190.38 to the newest. No change at all, I had this problem also with the 1.0 version of ArmA2 and its still not working.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlnTW43i7qk&hl=de&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlnTW43i7qk&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Maybe someone is able to help me.

I can play every other game (Crysis,BF2,CoH,RE5,DCS:BlackShark,WC3) fine for hours and hours.

My System:

ArmA 1.04

AMD 6400+

Nvidia 285GTX

Windows 7 Ultimate

8 GB RAM

Edited by NeoJD[NY]
trying to make a poll

Tried starting arma 2 with -winxp on the shortcut?

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Run a graphics temperature monitoring program (evga precision is a good one to give you a temp overlay), and check your temps when the artifacts start

i allready tried the -winxp shortcut. However, my Temps are all ok, my graphics temp is about 60 when this happends. Its pretty heavy, the game crashes after a while and i recive a yellow attetion icon at my taskbar, but if i try to click it, it just dissapears.

Oh it is the same issue like i got with my ATI 4850. Look here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73235&page=67

I think you are using win 7 with 64bit, right? In the ATI Thread people were experiencing less or none of those artifact instead of 32bit OSs..mmh

Well, yes it looks like the screens on the other post, but i have a nvidia car. Its Windows 7 64bit yes.

mhm

Edited by NeoJD[NY]

It's likely to be related to the 8gb of ram issues. Basically when using 8gb of Ram the game doesn't detect local and nonlocal vram correctly which causes crashes, artifacts and all sorts of issues. You can try removing some ram to see if that helps, or run using the -maxmem=2047 command switch or possibly using a 32bit o/s will help.

When you receive this bug , try to flush your video memory with : Shift + Minus and then type: flush

It helped me a lot in Arma 1, where I experienced a smiliar graphics bug.

Don't want to get you alarmed or nothing, but the last time I saw something like this was in Arma1 just before I learned that I'd cooked my xfx 7900 gt. Definitely get some kind of gpu temperature monitoring program because I think its possible that your card is overheating.

Thx @ all

I allready have -maxmem=2047 in my shortcut. And I dont want to install another operating system yet. Thank you anyway.

My GC is like I sad just 60° and comes to 75° but not more... maybe because its freaking cold in my room, and i dont have enough money for a heating system... but who cares the PC is the best thing for warming up lol

But i will try this "flush" thing!! Thank you

In Arma 1 I constantly received this bug when the video memory was at its maximum capacity especially in Warfare missions. In order to kept the game playable, I "flushed" the memory with the flush-command and everything was fine till the next bugs appeared. But according to this my old videocard wasn´t overheating at all ( it was a GF 7600 GT). I always assumed that it is a driver/engine related bug cause it only happend in Arma. All other games didn´t show up such things with tis graphics card.

I have this exact same issue too... both with the last beta and the new 1.04 patch...

Card is an Nvidia 8800GTS - latest drivers - win 7 RC 64bit & 4GB ram - maxmem set to 2047... Temps are fine - card is never higher than about 68 degrees...

It happens randomly from about 5 minutes up to about an hour or more after starting play... Occasionally it comes and goes, but eventually always gets worse until eventually the game crashes...

No idea whats causing it... it's certainly not temperature and I see from this thread the same problem reported by ATI and Nvidia owners... that makes it unlikely to be driver related... I've only 4GB of ram so that makes it unlikely to be purely 8GB ram-related.....

Anybody got any other ideas???

B

Edited by Bushlurker

I have the exact same problem. Here's hoping that BIS addresses this with the next patch. I don't have the crashing, but I do have the artifacts. I did not have the problem (well, not to the extent I have it now) before the 1.04 patch.

EDIT: It can't be the 8GB of RAM issue since I only have 4GB of RAM. I am running a crappy graphics card (GeForce 8400M GS as I only have a laptop at the moment), but I have been running the game just fine on low settings up until the 1.04 patch. I repeat, I did NOT have artifacts and missing textures like this before the 1.04 patch!

Edited by tsb247
More info

... Further info since my previous post...

My Arma2.rpt has about a million lines of this...

Error during v-buffer creation: error 8876017c

And my Arma2.cfg reports Ram like this...

localVRAM=1085931520;

nonlocalVRAM=1085931520;

Clearly not correct localVRAM there for a 320mb card!!

I've tried deleting the Arma2.cfg and letting it redetect - same figures...

Tried changing video memory option in-game from Default to Low, then deleting and redetecting - same figures again...

I think theres definitely an issue here with wrong detection of Vram, and it's NOT confined to 8GB users... whether that's the direct cause of this issue I dunno, but it's certainly suspicious...

Here's hoping the next patch or beta does something about it... two months of nanotuning hypermice is enough, surely...???

PS... As you can see in This Thread ... this problem isn't new... there were people - including me - reporting it back at the beginning of August!... Nobody picked up on the problem and the thread just died...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Great video OP, shows exactly the problem. This happening to me also since 1.04. no issues previously when using latest beta patch. I crashed to desktop very shortly after seeing these artifacts. I was flying an a10 over chernogorsk at the time. The lag and texture loading was horrendous.

This is awful. Never have i seen such a buggy game released, and patched 4 times yet still have such HUMONGOUS bugs. I cannot play for more than 5 seconds on my pc. I have a core 2 q9550 2.8, with 4 gigs of ram and a radeon 4800. game looks amazing for about 4 seconds and then turns to a garbled screen.

I got the same problem and the same errors in the arma.rpt since i played Arma2

i7920 / 6GB RAM / Win7 x64 / N9600GT

I got this problem in version 1.3 sometimes. When artifacts appear I just switch to my desktop and back to arma and it was OK again (for a while).

Just to check, those that are getting this problem, what operating system are you using and have you tried running under windows xp to see if you still get the same problems?

yeah well, i had those problems never in AmrA1 on XP as i remember. But I didnt tried ArmA2 on XP.

I have those bugs with Vista 64 and Win7 64. But thats also the only OS i use ArmA with.

Maybe i should set up a poll? So ppl can vote the OS they use and having this bug?

But i dont know how to setup a poll in this forum BTW :bounce3:

have you tried running under windows xp to see if you still get the same problems?

SURELY you're not suggesting - in 2009 - with a newly released 2009 game - running on 2007-2009 hardware - that I/we install a decade old operating system - a month before the official release of the Successor to the Successor to XP... in order to play without crashing???

where the hell's a "fall about in utter disbelief" icon when you need one???

B

Edited by Bushlurker