Sign in to follow this  
WarpGhost

Rifle tracers?

Is it just me and my computer, or does the rifle tracers option in the difficulty settings do nothing? Im an ArmA veteran but Im having a horrific time using the weapons in ArmA2 (which to be fair I've only just got) because the AI use laser guns (with no discernable tracer to know where they are) to shred me whilst I cant even see bullet impacts to gauge if my shots are landing even remotely close! During one test it was taking full 100 round magazines of the MG36 (which seems very accurate) to knock down even one guy at ~200m, because I couldnt even see most of the ground impacts. Without having a real gun in my hands nor the time (or even view of bullet impacts) for hours of practice with each gun like a real soldier, I have no intuitive feel for the aiming or the bullet ballistics. Tracers in ArmA went a long way to alleviating that (in the same way 3rd-person simulates intuitive feel of your body) without actually making hitting things a certainty. But I could at least understand how I was going wrong then. Now I have no way of even improving accuracy as I cant know how inaccurate I'm being!

It wouldnt even be so bad if ArmA games better simulated suppressive fire; instead, I cant stick my head out because of the improbable enemy precision (though doesnt seem as bad as ArmA; I mind enemy accuracy less when I can at least be roughly as accurate), and the AI tend to ignore incoming bullets, which was a liability in ArmA but a strength now its hard to even hit them stationary and standing up! Firefights barely deserve the name because they're resolved by ultra-precision shooting so quickly.

And before someone makes a snarky comment like "get more skillzor", I played ArmA with rifle iron sights (I liked the peripheral vision), rarely using scopes of any kind like I noticed most people used ;) , and was still a good shot. But im finding ArmA2 an exercise in rifle/MG frustration and futility even at realistic iron sights ranges. Is anyone else finding this, or is my graphics card just being uncooperative?

Edited by WarpGhost

Only some weapons use tracers....

P.S: Try playing with the editor until you can learn how to shoot properly... this may seem an offensive remark to you, but we all have been in that situation....

Learn how to use the optics... the reflex scopes and all...

There are some user made shooting range missions out there... quite useful!

Also use the right mouse button while you're shooting... besides zooming, the RMB controls breathing!

1.Wait for tracers mod.

2.Edit enemy/friendly skill in the arma.cfg.

Is anyone else finding this, or is my graphics card just being uncooperative?

Regarding bullet impacts - I find it a problem over very long shots (long range sniper shots). Often I don't see the puff of dust where my bullet (should have) landed. I have a good graphics card (ATI 4890) but I can't set my view distance any higher than about 2500 or the FPS get too low to play. I haven't bothered experimenting to see if longer view distance will resolve it.

As for tracers - not sure. They seem random but I haven't paid much attention.

Regarding bullet impacts - I find it a problem over very long shots (long range sniper shots). Often I don't see the puff of dust where my bullet (should have) landed. I have a good graphics card (ATI 4890) but I can't set my view distance any higher than about 2500 or the FPS get too low to play. I haven't bothered experimenting to see if longer view distance will resolve it.

As for tracers - not sure. They seem random but I haven't paid much attention.

Yeah, that happens.... no smokeys for some extremely long range shots..

My 2 cents is that on they don't penetrate whatever they're hitting... try with the M107 and see if you get that many non-smokers.... my guess is you won't!

I play with a VD of 5300 all settings normal no AA or PP and I see impacts all the way out on 8 out of 10 shots, mostly using the larger calibers.

I have done a lot of open ground shooting at upto 1k IRL and seeing impacts is very dependant on power/caliber of the round and the the material being hit.

Some surfaces will show no sign of a hit at LR even with large magnum rifle rounds and some rounds are just too weak at LR

eg I fired a 257 and 300 cal magnum at a lump of dirt at about 600m to see large puffs of dust when the same point was hit with 243 we could not even see the hits.

I guess what I am saying is it wont always show but you have to have everything in your favour, dont use 5.56 rnds for LR and make sure your sytem is upto scratch... because the game is....

Q6600 9800gt XP 32bit

Edited by dogz