Sign in to follow this  
sirdingydang

Badlands

The CTDs are probably because of a known issue....

In High Command mode if you press the "2" key, the game CTDs.

I usually get 10+ crashes during a mission because of this.... I'm so used to using the "2" key for scanning for enemies, that I forget I'm in HC mode...

I’ve just started this mission too. Based on a couple of the tips in this thread, I left the CDF squad and my team at the mission starting point. I hopped in the UAZ/AGS30, and drove right up to the nearest OPFOR emplacement at the first village. I was careful to approach from the low ground to the right, as it kept the MG from hosing me as I got close. I positioned my UAZ/nade hose between the emplacement and revetment/bunker behind it (for cover from the OPFOR in the village). As each of the OPFOR UAZs and soldiers made their move……..I gave them the :681: with the AGS 30. When they stopped coming, I dismounted and shot the guy in the MG emplacement in the back (nice of him to NOT do it to me while I was busy hosing his buds!) BTW: I didn’t do all this in one smooth move…………..it took several reloads due to me getting :flamethrower:.

There was one OPFOR UAZ/AGS30 that stayed in the village next to a building, so after I’d captured the first emplacement……….I snuck around some buildings, jumped out behind him and fired a stolen RPG up his tail pipe. It was quite spectacular, as it blew the UAZ several yards/meters down the road and flipped it on it’s side in a pile of flaming wreckage! :yay:

I called my team forward and we rooted out a couple of OPFOR holdouts and shot the other two emplacement guys in the backs too. Village ours!

I ran through the BMP/Mobile HQs arriving cut scene twice. The first time the BMP driver nearly ran me over he turned right so sharply when they started to move. The second time he ran over three dispersing villagers………..killing two and wounding the third (I had O’Hara give him first aid-----hearts ‘n minds you know).

I did a fair bit of reading up on the base building/commander thing as I had no idea what was up with it. I’ve found out by buying and emplacing an AGS30 on our base perimeter, then manning it with one of my team mates, I can go to the hilltop above the next village (right next door anyway), use my binoculars to spot enemy, and my man on the AGS 30 will start lobbing nades onto them (ruining their days rather well!). I haven’t got any further yet, but I’m going to get back into the base building thing with an emphasis on establishing a repair/refuel point and supply point for ammo ‘n such.

which vehicle is the AGS 30? I want to try your strategy. I get wasted pretty good in this town.

A quick question, how do I assign troops to different squads?

If I buy troops at the barracks they just go in my squad, which becomes massive but hard to organise; and if I use the communications (complex commands) menu, when I choose to move the units, it doesn't give me a choice of squads to move them to. Ditto for my map > units menu.

Is it just disabled for this mission, or is it just the squads are too far apart / in vehicles / in a town with too many obstacles between them?

If so, how do I purchase units directly for a different squad?

IE, I want to add AT to my second squad, and I don't want to have to buy it to my squad, hook up with squad #2, transfer the one infantry.

Having sent squad #2 to my barracks, how do I instruct them to buy the new unit?

Im wrong about the manual. Its first impression is tiny text, cheap drab printing, so I didnt really read it. It adequate.

Edited by JackandBlood

A quick question, how do I assign troops to different squads?

If I buy troops at the barracks they just go in my squad, which becomes massive but hard to organise; and if I use the communications (complex commands) menu, when I choose to move the units, it doesn't give me a choice of squads to move them to. Ditto for my map > units menu.

Is it just disabled for this mission, or is it just the squads are too far apart / in vehicles / in a town with too many obstacles between them?

If so, how do I purchase units directly for a different squad?

IE, I want to add AT to my second squad, and I don't want to have to buy it to my squad, hook up with squad #2, transfer the one infantry.

Having sent squad #2 to my barracks, how do I instruct them to buy the new unit?

Buy the units, then select ones you wish to assign, then open communications menu and select SEND UNITS option (it will indicate units you selected in the brackets).

Buy the units, then select ones you wish to assign, then open communications menu and select SEND UNITS option (it will indicate units you selected in the brackets).

Hmmm, it's not giving me the other groups in the sub-menu to send them to. I assume after you pick "send units" it asks you which squad to bung them to? Mine's empty, despite having other squads there...

Hmmm, it's not giving me the other groups in the sub-menu to send them to. I assume after you pick "send units" it asks you which squad to bung them to? Mine's empty, despite having other squads there...

That's how it works in DoW after I figured it out...we need the manual!

Sir Dingydang......sorry I'm so late getting back to you; I've been out of town for four days, just got back in yesterday late.

Anyway..........in the buy units menu of the small factory it's the UAZ/AGS30, if you've haven't already got one. Good luck!

my only problem with this mission is that when you run out of 5.56 ammo, the ammo trucks can only resupply with 7.62 AK ammo :(

In Badlands it seems you cannot reinforce the other high command units. They just go into your squad which maxes at 12 units so choose wisely. I suggest buying all BRDMs.

I'm kinda still stuck near the end, I’ve capped all towns and watched the cutscene at novy sobor and after that I’ve no idea what to do. It says all the tasks are complete. Am I missing something?

*EDIT*

Nevermind I just used to skip level cheat, I've repeated badlands over three times lol.

Edited by doomguy64

so this still happens with 1.03 huh?

that's where i am stuck, looks like i'll continue waiting for 1.04.

Playing on the Napa side I took the first village by stealth. Left all troops, including the rest of Razor, behind at the start point. Circled around the town to the south, and stealthed all the way into the centre command point. 95% of the enemy troops in the town committed suicide (well the infantry vanished, and the Uaz's instantly blew up) leaving about 4 guys to be mopped up.

Did the same with the second village, but the majority of the enemy troops stayed alive, so I brought in the Napa troops to finish them off. Was pleasantly suprised when 2 Napa tanks showed up to help, very pleased when I successfully got in one and took control of it, and then very sad when it vanished 15 seconds later. :)

Still have the rest of the mission to do.

So everything was running perfectly until i ran into the invincible Priest! So I heard that the fix was available by updating to Patch 1.4!!!

So now all i have to do is restart the mission as I was aware that I could not revert back to the previously saved games!

Problem solved!!! ...Or so i thought...

Now I get the "team freeze" problem once i take the first village!!! WTF?!?!? This game is really starting to stress me out! I really bought it as a de-stressor after a long day at work! I wanna kill some insurgents and make the world nice and peaceful, the American way! Why wont they let me play!!! Is there any way to fix this problem? (PS. The team are fine at the start up until the taking of the first village!)

i see that most of the guys here play for the NAPA? i chose to play with the CDF, i got all the villages back. now i am off to assasinate prizrak

BTW its easy to take those towns etc, i just got 2 brdms, and a couple of guys. i burst into a village start shooting and i conquer it.

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

i have completed all objectives, taking all the towns, killing prizrak. what do i do now? i dont get any new mission

No seriously how are you supposed to reinforce the command units? my unit 4 was destroyed and my unit 2 is heavily depleted.

I currently have like a 12 man squad. I'd like to send some of those troops off to reinforce unit 2.

But uh... how in the heck are you supposed to do this? I've looked up and down and can't find anything. Is the documentation for this command system truly this horrendous? I'm getting pretty frustrated because nowhere can I find out how to do simple things like this...

No seriously how are you supposed to reinforce the command units? my unit 4 was destroyed and my unit 2 is heavily depleted.

I currently have like a 12 man squad. I'd like to send some of those troops off to reinforce unit 2.

But uh... how in the heck are you supposed to do this? I've looked up and down and can't find anything. Is the documentation for this command system truly this horrendous? I'm getting pretty frustrated because nowhere can I find out how to do simple things like this...

by some troops, select the troops you wish to send to your HC groups.

In the menu select communication->send units-> HC group you wish to reinforce.

Have in mind that in the list of HC groups their numbers will be a number lower then at the HC interface. the Unit 2 will have number 1 on the list since HC Unit 1 in the HC interface = the players squad.

Hey gang,

First time I played through it took ages to take Novy Sobor.

I just manoeuvred with razor along the wall in the paddock and down to the farm house and shed area. If you move in the back the fence is ripped and then move to the shed in the middle of the complex. The surrounding fence is the best height to knock off the UAZ gunners. from here work your way to the church, Make sure you check for troops before you run to the back of the house and leave the farm, Duh.

So after that I did it. Moved on and didn't receive the

Cut scene with The priest

So I plod on successfully capturing all towns. Did the last town all objectives complete. Nothing.

After crying, I reverted and started again dreading Novy Sobor. So I did it the same and was like a surgeon. Then I finally got the

priest cutscene

only to have my save file become unfindable.

After shedding a few more tears I took a day off as I was a little bitter. I had tried moving save files from folder but nothing. So just as was about to start the campaign again I removed all the save files and it reverted the mission, few.

So off again, all worked 100% cut scenes radio msg's the lot.

So I get to the second last town and

receive msg about meeting the dude, so me thinks finally its going to work I'll just take the last town and move out to find him. Then I find out the radio objective must be completed before "capturing the region" or it moves on to dogs of war.

So its back to beginning again for me.

So any questions about tactics, positioning or sure fire ways not to loose any of your squad just ask as i've now done the mission many times.

But this next time will be the last.

I will say this though bugs aside this is a great campaign and I'm really enjoying this mission even if its the third time. :D

Edited by Grub

Badlands was much easier than I thought. As long as you take your time in the beginning. A found it easier with NAPA than with CDF, even though you get somewhat better equipment and soldiers with CDF (my opinion).

With NAPA I attacked the first town with my 4 man team only. Using sniper rifle and guiding nr 2, and carefully circling the town, I managed to take out the UAZ's and most of the infantry.

Then I moved in with two offroads, equally carefully, and the town was ours!

The next part is about getting money to buy a few BRDM (or whatever the APC's are called). I got 4 of them, disbanded the crew, and substituted them with machine gunners and AT infantry (they're much more usable in case they have to get out of their vehicles)

Since AI is completely retarded when it comes to driving, I choose to drive the first APC myself. Then I change to gunner's seat whenever the enemy is close. Because the gunners seem to be deaf, dumb, blind and stoned as well.

The rest is easy.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

BTW: Badlands is a great mission, but I also got most of the bugs others describe here. And updating with the latest patch didn't help much either. Right now I'm playing Dogs of War, and when I think about all the frustration this game has given me, it's almost not worth it.

and when I think about all the frustration this game has given me, it's almost not worth it.

Bah, its always worth it.

Edit: My save game just disappeared again so back to the beginning. Don't mind too much though, as has been said before and is known to anyone who's played through the series; You must learn to come to terms with the beautiful monster that is ArmA 2, and sleep well knowing that BIS, unlike other companies are on the job.

Edited by Grub

Bah, its always worth it.

Edit: My save game just disappeared again so back to the beginning. Don't mind too much though, as has been said before and is known to anyone who's played through the series; You must learn to come to terms with the beautiful monster that is ArmA 2, and sleep well knowing that BIS, unlike other companies are on the job.

Pardon my French, but that is a load of crap. When I purchase a game, I expect it to be a finished product. I don't pay BIS to be their tester. I played all the OFP games, and I liked them, even though they had some issues as well.

Arma2 is a great game, but when you spend more time maneuvering around bugs than solving the challenges within the game, I think it's appropriate to ask the question if it's worth it.

Need a bit of help here.

I'm unable to build a heavy factory, It seems like others have been able to build it? Its just non-existent in the Base build menu. I've got like $20,000 so its not a question of money. Very strange.

The other thing, I cant send men to the other squads. When I select the men, and go to Communications>Send Units> there is nothing, the menu is blank. I've got both squad 2 and 3 visible in the commander menu.. so what gives??

-tume-

Need a bit of help here.

I'm unable to build a heavy factory, It seems like others have been able to build it? Its just non-existent in the Base build menu. I've got like $20,000 so its not a question of money. Very strange.

The other thing, I cant send men to the other squads. When I select the men, and go to Communications>Send Units> there is nothing, the menu is blank. I've got both squad 2 and 3 visible in the commander menu.. so what gives??

-tume-

Heavy factory is not available in Badlands.