Sign in to follow this  
sirdingydang

Badlands

Ok, so I'm starting with the NAPA guys. I finally managed to sneak into the town, but I cannot seem to get past the enemy. Their AI is INSANE. I take out a couple of soldiers, back track around a wall by the church, come around the corner and get MOWED down immediately. any suggestions? Also, what the heck do I do after I finally take this town? thanks!

Ok, so I'm starting with the NAPA guys. I finally managed to sneak into the town, but I cannot seem to get past the enemy. Their AI is INSANE. I take out a couple of soldiers, back track around a wall by the church, come around the corner and get MOWED down immediately. any suggestions?

Don't sneak around them, kill them.

Also, what the heck do I do after I finally take this town? thanks!

You build a base with the mobile HQ that arrives after you cleared the first town.

To be honest, I had a hard time too, with the first town, because I did it with Team Razor only. I don't know if you're supposed to get help by NAPA but in my game they just waited until I was done.

The main problem are the shitload of UAZs that drive around in the town.

What I did exactly was ...

I took my men and ran (half crouched) across the big open between the woods and the town. Sounds stupid but it worked most of the time. We ran straight to the east bunker near the town and took that. Then I positioned my men in the bunker and told them to hold fire. We waited until the group of soldiers arrived at the town border and as soon as they started to go back into town, we ambushed them. Then I went into the town alone, picked up a RPG from the dead men and shot the UAZ drivers/gunners or blew up the UAZs with the RPG. Like I said, that part was rather hard because there are so many UAZs and they are quite good at killing (as well as at dying tho).

yeah, that was my question at the beginning. are these NAPA guys supposed to be helping me? haha

But, I kind of did the same thing. I ran, half crouched with razor across the field to the Church though. I told them to hold fire. trying to pick people off from the woods got be annihilated and razor runs out of ammo otherwise. I didn't think about trying to loot an RPG, as that would be helpful for sure. Those UAZs are a nightmare because it's as if the gunner is following me even though I'm behind buildings and walls. So, after I take this town I will be able to get NAPA guys to help and some other gear/vehicles I assume?

Sorry for the noob questions haha

So, after I take this town I will be able to get NAPA guys to help and some other gear/vehicles I assume?

Yes, you build a small base where you can buy light vehicles and soldiers of all kinds. Overall maximum number of soldiers is 12 though (including team Razor and vehicle personnel), so you have to think about your mix.

Hint:

I recommend at least two AT guys, two medics and an APC.

Yes, you build a small base where you can buy light vehicles and soldiers of all kinds. Overall maximum number of soldiers is 12 though (including team Razor and vehicle personnel), so you have to think about your mix.

Hint:

I recommend at least two AT guys, two medics and an APC.

Ok cool. Thanks. I actually like this game, even though it can be very buggy and frustrating. It's also very technically challenging, which I like as a change of pace from the run-n-gun shooters. I hear they have an expansion coming out already this fall...Plus, I'm looking forward to OFP 2.

Ok cool. Thanks. I actually like this game, even though it can be very buggy and frustrating. It's also very technically challenging, which I like as a change of pace from the run-n-gun shooters. I hear they have an expansion coming out already this fall...Plus, I'm looking forward to OFP 2.

Yes, I think ArmA is mainly loved by people who played OFP. Others tend to get frustrated by the bugs. Anyway if the bugs in the campaign annoy you, skip it and try multiplayer or even better: Try the editor! The editor and sandbox system is what makes ArmA so unique.

Yes, I think ArmA is mainly loved by people who played OFP. Others tend to get frustrated by the bugs. Anyway if the bugs in the campaign annoy you, skip it and try multiplayer or even better: Try the editor! The editor and sandbox system is what makes ArmA so unique.

Yeah I haven't really tooled around with the editor yet. I'm still a noob but I plan on playing with it once I get the campaign finished. ;)

You are actually supposed to command the NAPA guys to help you take the town. You use the High Command mode, which there is a tutorial in the tutorial section for. You normally activate it using the app button (the one between right ctrl and the windows one). I suppose its possible you are playing a different version of badlands or that yours allows you to do different things than mine but I used NAPA to help take the town.

You are actually supposed to command the NAPA guys to help you take the town. You use the High Command mode, which there is a tutorial in the tutorial section for. You normally activate it using the app button (the one between right ctrl and the windows one). I suppose its possible you are playing a different version of badlands or that yours allows you to do different things than mine but I used NAPA to help take the town.

Hmmm, okay, I will definitely try that when I get home from work tonight. Thanks!

Thanks!!

I was trying to take the village on my own because I thought those NAPA guys would reinforce the village... not help me conquer it...

And there's no indication that you have control over them....

Thanks!!

I was trying to take the village on my own because I thought those NAPA guys would reinforce the village... not help me conquer it...

exactly! but, I AM a noob :D

I was going to try out some of these tips last night, but alas, my power was out for some reason for 5+ hours. Get home from work to no power...SUCKS...there was a thunderstorm nearby, and I guess it must've had something to do with it. But, tonight I have nothing to do BUT beat this mission LOL

Thanks!!

There has to be some kind because I knew immediatly that I had them under my command. I never second guessed it one of the first things I did was tell them to move.

I just checked: You can enter the commander mode with Ctrl+Space. Then you can give orders to the three NAPA teams. I recommend playing the tutorial mission for the commander mode before using it in the mission.

I also knew I could give orders to the NAPA (the commander says after the briefing: "Cooper will take command now") - but I didn't remember that key binding from the tutorial, so I didn't find the commander mode and thus chose the Rambo style.

I just checked: You can enter the commander mode with Ctrl+Space. Then you can give orders to the three NAPA teams. I recommend playing the tutorial mission for the commander mode before using it in the mission.

I also knew I could give orders to the NAPA (the commander says after the briefing: "Cooper will take command now") - but I didn't remember that key binding from the tutorial, so I didn't find the commander mode and thus chose the Rambo style.

ok, thanks for the tip. Yeah, I think I skipped that tutorial. Whoops!

There has to be some kind because I knew immediatly that I had them under my command. I never second guessed it one of the first things I did was tell them to move.

The NAPA guy says something like "Razor is more experienced so you must follow them" or some gibberish like that...

I tried to make them follow me... I guess I had just forgot about the command menu.... more than 2 months since I played TC...

I took the town, but now I'm not sure what to do. Cooper (me) said something about going to "Point Hood" so I did. that's it. the only task I have is to find another piece of evidence. I'll keep plugging away. But, thanks for the advice so far guys.

Left CTRL + Space Bar opens Higher Command Mode. Then just drag a rectangle aroung the units you want to control and send them wherever you want or attack the bad guys.

It's a good idea to do the tutorials on Higher Command Mode because there is lots in there that will help playing the game better.

Also, you will definately need this for the next mission, Dogs Of War.

BI, PLEASE give us a better manual. There must be so much information on playing this game that we do not have because we don't have an adaquate manual.

Cheers,

Luke.

I took the town, but now I'm not sure what to do. Cooper (me) said something about going to "Point Hood" so I did. that's it. the only task I have is to find another piece of evidence. I'll keep plugging away. But, thanks for the advice so far guys.

You're supposed to take 4 (?) towns...

And after you took the 1st you're supposed to set a command post.... using the command APC....

This is what I learned from the briefing... haven't got through the mission yet.

You're supposed to take 4 (?) towns...

And after you took the 1st you're supposed to set a command post.... using the command APC....

This is what I learned from the briefing... haven't got through the mission yet.

Exactly. The mobile HQ waits SW of Point Hood. You can use it then to build a base and reinforce your troops.

Exactly. The mobile HQ waits SW of Point Hood. You can use it then to build a base and reinforce your troops.

No, it always does NOT wait there.

When I took the first town (I started East) and the cutscene starts, the BRDM stands behind the crowd and priest with crew. Sometimes when the cutscene ends, the BRDM still stands there, next to the church with its crew dead.

I have no idea why sometimes the crew dies. Then I just had to drive the dam thing to suitable location myself.

I’ve just started this mission too. Based on a couple of the tips in this thread, I left the CDF squad and my team at the mission starting point. I hopped in the UAZ/AGS30, and drove right up to the nearest OPFOR emplacement at the first village. I was careful to approach from the low ground to the right, as it kept the MG from hosing me as I got close. I positioned my UAZ/nade hose between the emplacement and revetment/bunker behind it (for cover from the OPFOR in the village). As each of the OPFOR UAZs and soldiers made their move……..I gave them the :681: with the AGS 30. When they stopped coming, I dismounted and shot the guy in the MG emplacement in the back (nice of him to NOT do it to me while I was busy hosing his buds!) BTW: I didn’t do all this in one smooth move…………..it took several reloads due to me getting :flamethrower:.

There was one OPFOR UAZ/AGS30 that stayed in the village next to a building, so after I’d captured the first emplacement……….I snuck around some buildings, jumped out behind him and fired a stolen RPG up his tail pipe. It was quite spectacular, as it blew the UAZ several yards/meters down the road and flipped it on it’s side in a pile of flaming wreckage! :yay:

I called my team forward and we rooted out a couple of OPFOR holdouts and shot the other two emplacement guys in the backs too. Village ours!

I ran through the BMP/Mobile HQs arriving cut scene twice. The first time the BMP driver nearly ran me over he turned right so sharply when they started to move. The second time he ran over three dispersing villagers………..killing two and wounding the third (I had O’Hara give him first aid-----hearts ‘n minds you know).

I did a fair bit of reading up on the base building/commander thing as I had no idea what was up with it. I’ve found out by buying and emplacing an AGS30 on our base perimeter, then manning it with one of my team mates, I can go to the hilltop above the next village (right next door anyway), use my binoculars to spot enemy, and my man on the AGS 30 will start lobbing nades onto them (ruining their days rather well!). I haven’t got any further yet, but I’m going to get back into the base building thing with an emphasis on establishing a repair/refuel point and supply point for ammo ‘n such.

Build a Light Factory... get some DBMs 3 or 4 is enough... and roll!

That's what I did. I built a barracks and light factory, then bought a BRDM with the KPVT heavy MG and an anti tank version as well. I used the MG version (the 14.5mm KPVT is awesome!) to :coop: the Chedaki in the second village. I'm using both BRDMs as longer range fire support from hillside positions to back up my CDF squads while asssaulting Stary Sobor (don't know how that's going to turn out as the game started CTDing last night.........so I'll have to reload and try again today). I've bought fuel, ammo, and repair trucks, and they've been handy so far!

I haven't bothered with anymore base defenses, just the barracks and light factory. Anybody ever actually need the HESCO barriers and guard towers in this mission? Does the enemy ever actually attack?

Is it possible to dismantle the base, move the mobile HQ forward, then reestablish the base in a new location? It sounds like you can from the scanty info in the PDF owners manual.