Sign in to follow this  
SG Sabre

Custom Xbox 360 Controller settings

hi Everybody....

let me start by saying.. first post woot!.. Glad to be here with the community for the most awesome game ever. So glad i bought it even though i cant jump 20 feet in the air and pull of head shots like in halo 2................. :rock: can jumping at least be added like in Call of Duty................. :butbut: ...........

hahahaha i kid i kid...

but seriously though, i have already read and searched through posts relating to using the Xbox 360 controler but none of them help my query.

ok, i just tried the controller and i like it but i want to customise the buttons etc, however this looks a little confusing for a start the xbox buttons are listed in numbers rather than X,Y LB, LT, RB, RT etc..

so firstly does anyone know which numbers pertain to which buttons???

and secondly has anyone made any custom settings which could help me and others try??? would be good to get them listed somewhere i guess..

any assistance apprecieated....

Also i should say i was kinda hoping ARMA2 would also launch on the xbox360 (please no PCvsConsole debate, :butbut: ) as personally my PC (quad core) is for Music production and as such is never connected to the net, but as i saw no mention to it i bought a copy (glad i did), however, now im getting worried im going to break my rule and put my beautiful machine on the internet so i can play team games, i will no doubt buckle once ive completed the single player missions... So maybe someone knowledgable in Internet gaming can advise what virus/malware or other stability or invasive issues i would be likley to encounter if i went online strictly and only to play ARMA2???

Thanks alot guys.....

FFS, use KB & Mouse

Its the way the game is meant to be played (and all pc shooters for that matter). There's no way moving two axis with Your thumbs can compete with a quick swipe of the mouse, ever

Besides, there's not enough buttons, You need a full keyboard

Edited by PogMoThoin

Also i should say i was kinda hoping ARMA2 would also launch on the xbox360

Why would you even think that a dedicated PC game would play in an xbox 360?:confused:

Why would you even think that a dedicated PC game would play in an xbox 360?:confused:

The reason i bought ARMA 2 was because a good freind of mine plays flashpoint on the old xbox, and imports maps/missions edited on the PC version, he loves it and raves about it... So logic would dictate that if they had OF on the old xbox BI would develope for the new XBOX...

answer your question?

I will defo buy the new OF for the xbox360 to check it out, I imagine it will be great and with all the convienience of console gaming and community.. I imagine ARMA2 would be awesome on the console if they developed it. PLease do..

I imagine ARMA2 would be awesome on the console if they developed it. PLease do..

Without the editor You'd be bored within a week. Its the mods, custom missions and addons that make it.

......Now either play it the way its meant to be played or GTFO :868:

FFS, use KB & Mouse

Its the way the game is meant to be played (and all pc shooters for that matter). There's no way moving two axis with Your thumbs can compete with a quick swipe of the mouse, ever

Besides, there's not enough buttons, You need a full keyboard

hmmm yes the mouse is quick, but then you still pause to allow the aim to settle. Im sure the controller is just fine, also i can sit back with the controller, i do way to much mouse work as it is, at home and at work.

You can use the keyboard and the mouse while the Controller is active so the number of buttons is not an issue.,. and thinking about it neither would the aiming acuracy be either, as i could switch to mouse for long range firing and grab the controller for towns/buildings and close contact...

and i could play in bed...

and its better for flying...

and it kind of feels more natural..

perhaps you should try it ;)

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

......Now either play it the way its meant to be played or GTFO :868:

:( yep ok whatever buddy

You can use the keyboard and the mouse while the Controller is active so the number of buttons is not an issue.,. and thinking about it neither would the aiming acuracy be either, as i could switch to mouse for long range firing and grab the controller for towns/buildings and close contact...

Watch this vid, it'll explain to You what the controls are trying to achieve

There's no proper way of mapping Your "q" and "e" lean or Your free look "alt" with a controller, this is what I mean by not having enough keys

and i could play in bed...

Its a Military Sim, not The Simms

and its better for flying...

Even better still, I use a fight stick

and it kind of feels more natural..

I disagree

Now watch this vid and be amazed

perhaps you should try it ;)

No thanks, after Years of KB & Mouse play there's no way I'm going back to the limited control of a controller. KB & Mouse takes a while to get used to, but after a short while You'll get the hang of it. Mind You, this is a difficult game to get used to it with, there are just so many controls. Try it and You'll see

I use the X360 controller, with the keyboard, and the mouse, all at the same time :D depending on what i am actually doing :D

I think you're meant to go to the control options and click on the "Controller" button near the bottom.

Its a Military Sim, not The Simms

Oh yeah! Sitting at a computer desk invading Chernarus with a mouse and keyboard is so much more realistic!

Watch this vid, it'll explain to You what the controls are trying to achieve

There's no proper way of mapping Your "q" and "e" lean or Your free look "alt" with a controller, this is what I mean by not having enough keys

No thanks, after Years of KB & Mouse play there's no way I'm going back to the limited control of a controller. KB & Mouse takes a while to get used to, but after a short while You'll get the hang of it. Mind You, this is a difficult game to get used to it with, there are just so many controls. Try it and You'll see

Watched those vids although i had already seen them a while ago while eagly awaiting the release ...thanks tho... I think i'll get the TrakIR system that defo makes it more natural

Yep i was struggling to find how to configure the Alt key on the pad, surley it must be possable... I'll have another go tomorrow

I actually played the game with the KB/Mouse first, got the hang of that no probs... i am sure that with a good controller set up you could map most of the essential finctions to the buttons, for example the x button can be tapped or held to give it extra functions, got to say i did some testing with the pad last night and found movement smother ie more control between running/walking etc also the zoom function has more control than with the KB when using the trigger, and didnt seem to have the acuracy issue with the analoge stick, you just have to be more gentle with your thumbs than you would with a mouse

Anyhow its all a matter of opinion and preference so i dont see any point debating personal preferences, hopefuly this thread can be a resource for others like me who may not be as hardcore gamers as the rest of you and just want to make things more simple and comfortable

Also for those looking for this kind of problem this may help... In the windows control panel in game controllers you can find out the button numbers in relation to the XBOX X,Y,A,B setup....

If i get a good setup going i'll post the details, but i call again for anyone out there who has gone through the set up and can help

many thanks, and wow, do any of you ever say hi or welcome to newcomers, like in every other forum i've ever used? or is GTFO! a normal response for people not quiet on the same page as you??? hahaha, your probably a nice guy though, you did post the links for me.

Edited by SG Sabre

How's it going...I'm in the same boat as you I like playing with the 360 controller (which sometimes might seem sacrilege in these neck of the woods). I found a program that gives you quite a bit of freedom on setting up your controller for any particular game on the PC (below is a link if you want to check it out):

http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/

Once in the site go to the forums and check-out Official Profiles (you'll see a set-up for the original ARMA).

many thanks, and wow, do any of you ever say hi or welcome to newcomers, like in every other forum i've ever used? or is GTFO! a normal response for people not quiet on the same page as you??? hahaha, your probably a nice guy though, you did post the links for me.

Hi and welcome, but I'm a n00b here also, see my post count :yay:

For anyone who's interested, I've had an old Logitech Wingman for years, it took a little playing about but I got it figured in the end. Heres how You map:

Thrust: Slider

Left/Right Turn: DO NOT MAP

Bank Left/Right: X axis

Nose Down/Up: Y axis

Left/Right Pedal: Z axis (twist)

I've finally convinced myself to buy a TrackIR, ordering this weekend :D

I tried to map the controller also last night it sucks, can't put Fire on the right trigger for some reason so I had to put it on RB which is weird.

Also you can't map the optics and zoom and lock on the same key that you can with the mouse. And why the heck are the buttons labeled button #10 instead of Select??

1.4 patch please!!! @ Pog Some people are never going to get used to Keyboard and Mouse dude, just because its on a controller doesn't make it arcadey or anything none of your points are valid, they're inmature.

ahh i knew it, well we will get a good config sorted eventualy and can post the details for everyone.... i have a few days off work now so i'll have a good crack

Thanks for that link UltraSur, i'll try it out and see what i can do. *edit scratch that, im not paying 20$ for that..Well not yet anyway.. out of curiosity, will it allow multi functions for a single button.. EG hold X instead of tap for a different function, perhaps holding to open various comand options?

I hear you Pog, Im going to get trackIR as well and did breifly think about a flying stick as well today, seen as the game seems to allow multiple controlers. I wonder if you can also set a steering wheel for vehicles.. lol or is that just going overboard? hmm i wonder if i can get drives for my Xbox wheel...

Hey Flash, i know it sucks, but you can figure it out by going to control panel and clicking on Game controllers, it shows you the button numbers... Or check out this chart i just found, although i havent double checked it yet for acuracy.. I presume its ok but let me know if not.

909385.jpg

Edited by SG Sabre